Xtreme Gaming Network

S21R5: Mills Metropark Race Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S21R5: Mills Metropark Race Post-Race Chat  (Read 12363 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S21R5: Mills Metropark Race Post-Race Chat
« on: March 27, 2018, 06:21:10 PM »
RACE 1 RESULTS
RACE 2 RESULTS
SEASON STANDINGS
SEASON STATS

Round Points
Matthew111   200
Kcender87   197
Jeremy   138
buellersdayoff   121
ab156   106
Mael   104
Shayne   100
Wally   77
RussG   62
Freezer   61
Grat   40
Bacchulum   30
Dave O   27
Keith   17
Rob   16
Simone   7
killagorilla   6

Congratulations to Matthew on the clean sweep - pole and both race wins. Kcender was just a whisker behind in both races, scoring 197 points to Matthew's 200.

Penalties
Race 1 - Killagorilla came in too hot at turn 2, clipped the rear of Freezer, bounced off the barrier and into the field. 30% restrictor penalty for next round.
Race 2 - None.

Season Podium
1. Matthew.111, 753 Matt moves up 1 place to take the lead from Grat after Grat's poor round result here.
2. Grat, 743 pts
3. Phil.8, 584
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:40:40 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
Re: S21R5: Mills Metropark Race Post-Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 10:07:13 PM »
I do not think I am prone to complain about others. I sometime f*k it up myself, sometime get angry,.. whatever. But in general it does not seem to me that I complain about others and usually if I have something to say I do it with plenty of a smile. This time though I just do not understand what people are thinking.

We have a rule---right or wrong (I do not love it, but I respect it)---that you stay on your side for the first 2 corners. I start from 3rd, and the 2nd on the grid is on my side when we are still in first gear, for f*k sake. Then I try to move a bit, but I have the 4th on my left, so I have to lift and leave him space to exit the corner, thinking: he will leave me abundant space at T2. Not at all! At T2 I am completely closed on my side by both the 2nd and 4th on the grid, so I have to throw the anchor and I even touch him a little bit.

Of course, that is not enough, because somebody from the back arrives at full speed on the grass and takes me out of the whole race.

Honestly, for once I was even thinking of seriously driving for the championship. But I see it is not possible, unless I play tough with everybody and use whatever rule is there just to my advantage. Since I do not feel like doing it, I'll just drive week by week, I guess. It's sad, though, as the championships are a nice idea.

Offline kcender87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 10:46:43 PM »
That was my bad on race 1 Grat - I had a chat on discord to Wally as I had no idea about the own side of the track deal and was just being careful on cold tyres etc - I certainly did dive across on start one behind Matt and sorry if that cut you off - wasnt my intention. Being aware for race 2 Im pretty sure I was left lane all the way :)

In other news a good night. My soft tyre gambit on race one lost out by less than a second in the end and race 2 was magic - nice and close with Matt and was able to show him a nose or more a few times but traction out the corners was too similar making it super close all race

good times

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 10:56:02 PM »
In race 1, I managed to avoid the accident by driving right around on the grass. I had a really good battle with Bacchulum, sizing him up over 5 laps until I managed to squeeze past at the end of the back straight, I think it was. I like chasing Bacchulum - he always puts up a great defense and you have to try everything to find a pass. I was showing him the nose of my car, moving from this side to that side... in the end it was just his propensity to understeer that saw him come unstuck. Then the pressure was on Simone, and he cracked like an egg, so that was another pass :) From there I chased ab156 home with consistent laps to finish 6th which was my best finish for the season.

Race 2, I got a few taps here and there, but nothing too unsettling (I'm getting good at catching tankslappers!). But then on lap 6 Grat came in too hot behind me at the end of the back straight when I was tucked under ab156's wing in front of me, and hit my rear. I managed to hang onto the first tap, but then there was another which spun me and dropped me back to 10th from 5th :(
I put my head down, chasing DaveO, but when I got a run on him down the back straight I tried to poke it inside but missed the corner altogether and sailed out onto the grass, letting a tight bunch of 3 cars behind me past. I managed to pass them after Keith and Russ had a contact, only to arrive at my nemesis Bacchulum again. It took another 5 laps, but finally I managed a pass, to finish 8th.

All in all, some good intense racing and battles.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 11:02:39 PM »
Of course, that is not enough, because somebody from the back arrives at full speed on the grass and takes me out of the whole race.

Honestly, for once I was even thinking of seriously driving for the championship. But I see it is not possible, unless I play tough with everybody and use whatever rule is there just to my advantage. Since I do not feel like doing it, I'll just drive week by week, I guess. It's sad, though, as the championships are a nice idea.
Grat - watch the replay. It's never as bad in hindsight as when the red mist is coming down. The race start was clean (as in no contacts, but people had to think on their feet and did a good job avoiding any contacts). The hit was simply from Killa missing his braking on cold tyres, as happens in countless real-life races all the time. No one's being ultra aggressive, or unfair... I see it as just the "heat of the battle", and there's a lot of really great racing going on.

I always think most of the skill of racing is what happens between the ears. It's a mental game as much as a physical one. You have to stay calm, stay consistent, stay cool and calculated, roll with the punches and suck up bad luck from time to time. Our racing is just like real life racing in that regard. You look at some of the older, more experience heads in the Supercars - their race can be over because of someone else's mistake or some bad luck, and they mostly smile, shrug and let it pass under the bridge with the old line "that's racing". There's always the next race.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 11:06:18 PM »
But then on lap 6 Grat came in too hot behind me at the end of the back straight when I was tucked under ab156's wing in front of me, and hit my rear. I managed to hang onto the first tap, but then there was another which spun me and dropped me back to 10th from 5th :(
Sorry about that. Waited to redress and then gave up with the whole thing when I did not see you passing by. To be honest, I did not come in too hot. I merely misjudged how close I could stay with my nose to your butt. My fault. It always happens to me when I am a bit upset---I lose the details of close racing and make a mess. I should actually just seat the race out when that happens. Crappy night in all possible ways. :(

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 11:14:24 PM »

Grat - watch the replay. It's never as bad in hindsight as when the red mist is coming down. The race start was clean (as in no contacts, but people had to think on their feet and did a good job avoiding any contacts). The hit was simply from Killa missing his braking on cold tyres, as happens in countless real-life races all the time. No one's being ultra aggressive, or unfair... I see it as just the "heat of the battle", and there's a lot of really great racing going on.

I always think most of the skill of racing is what happens between the ears. It's a mental game as much as a physical one. You have to stay calm, stay consistent, stay cool and calculated, roll with the punches and suck up bad luck from time to time. Our racing is just like real life racing in that regard. You look at some of the older, more experience heads in the Supercars - their race can be over because of someone else's mistake or some bad luck, and they mostly smile, shrug and let it pass under the bridge with the old line "that's racing". There's always the next race.
Wally: my problem was simply that we have a rule that I respect (as many others. Most, indeed) and that puts in great disadvantage those who respect it if others don't. As I described in detail above, a pair of people around me did not, and took advantage of it, and since it is not the first time I notice it, I got annoyed. I do not care for penalties---that's up to you to keep the group working well and you do a very good job. For me, it ends there, of course: I lifted, no contact, all good, we can go to bed, for sure. I just got annoyed, and apparently it was useful, as others say they did not even know of the rule. Hopefully this will also help clarify to others who may know of the rule and do not follow it  that the simple fact that the others lift to let you go (therefore: no contact and no penalties) does not mean you are behaving nicely by ignoring the rule ;)

Then of course the fact that whatever happened behind me sent me to the back of the pack and away from the big points zone did not help my mood. Indeed, I did not mean "full speed" as in "bad behaviour"---obviously something happened behind. It was just a statement of a fact about the speed. So, yeah, it ruined my mood and a bit the night. But that's just my own mood and, as I wrote in my previous post to you, it is my problem and I should just shut up. ;)

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 11:22:43 PM »
Hang on. I missed tonight race but I had never heard of this rule.

I give room and try not to hit anyone but if I see an overtake I'm taking advantage of it. Isn't that what we all should be doing?

For example, a couple weeks ago I managed to get a hell of a start because someone was too slow off the line and I think there was a bit of an accident, I'm not 100% but I overtook as many people as possible before the first corner.

Am i not allowed to do this?

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 11:24:39 PM »

I give room and try not to hit anyone but if I see an overtake I'm taking advantage of it. Isn't that what we all should be doing?

For example, a couple weeks ago I managed to get a hell of a start because someone was too slow off the line and I think there was a bit of an accident, I'm not 100% but I overtook as many people as possible before the first corner.

That's the way I read it.... keep to your side when cars around, but if there's a clear gap then I'm in..!
I think its mainly to stop 3 wide, dangerous dives etc etc...

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 11:31:37 PM »
Q, I missed my opportunity to get my fastest lap time but had I got my best would've gave me one more place on the grid at best. Managing the soft tyres in this heat and low fuel level plus a clean lap is a bit of pressure which makes it quite fun and challenging.

R1, Got caught up in the turn 2 incident, dropped quite a few places but pressed on to gain some back. About mid race 1 made a slightly heavy handed move on DaveO at back hairpin under brakes, we rubbed door panels but carried on. Good racing for 8th.

R2, Was a great race with grat in the first few laps, made a few minor mistakes and fell behind him a bit. Luckily because I was able to avoid the incident with Wally. From there till the end was a great race with plenty of pressure from Shayne while also trying to catch Jeremy. Good fun thanks to all...just missed out on podium for 4th

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 11:33:06 PM »

That's the way I read it.... keep to your side when cars around, but if there's a clear gap then I'm in..!
I think its mainly to stop 3 wide, dangerous dives etc etc...
As far as we all agree, I am happy with whatever rule and interpretation. The way I followed it is that:
  • I keep straight unless I really need to move to pass the car ahead, in which case
  • I preferably move to the outside of it and choose the middle lane only if I am completely safe
  • In no case I move to the line of the cars on the other side or try to get the tow of one of them
This seemed to me the only honest interpretation of what wally wrote: no crossing of the lines in the first two corners. But maybe I am the only one doing so. If so, just let me know.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 11:33:43 PM »
I had been hating this car at this track in practice but then surprisingly grabbed 5th in qual.
Unfortunately though I get collected in the turn 2 pile up of race 1 and went back to around 13th.
Apologise to Bueller and Shayne on lap 2 when I slowed for no obvious reason, my wheel went into hyper mode and I had
to quickly reset!
Second half was a challenge.  Grat got by but then slipped off letting me past.  From there he hounded the rear all the way home but
I was able to keep him at bay to come home 9th.
Race 2 started well jumping from 9th to 6th but on lap 2 I came in a bit hot to T2 and in trying to avoid hitting Wally to much I spun but worse still
I was in the path of my team mate Mael who had no where to go.  From there it was a car that only wanted to turn left.  Surprisingly though once I
got the feel for it I was able to push on fairly well.  Three people gifted me spots and RussG was hounding me all the way.  A small tap the only downside
which let Wally and Keith through.
All up the incidents resulted in some challenging fight backs which were more fun than expected.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 11:50:48 PM »
Were in the same boat as Freezer with low expectations for this round, and qualifying delivered pain is spades.

But race one got handed a gift by gaining places thanks to the infamous corner 2 bingle, the hard tires were bit slow but at least tire wear was not a problem. Fought hard to get by Bacchulum and Dave and would have had Wally in another 10 laps  ;D

Race 2 started badly with inter-team contact, just bad luck Freezer. Again had to work hard to get by Bacchulum as he never makes it easy. Then spend the rest of the race chasing the Jeremy/ Shayne/AB/Bueller group. Managed to catch and pass AB after he appeared to have cooked his tires :P  Can't believe I got the loneliest in this race as it felt the whole time had a chance of passing someone.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 12:02:06 AM »
Again had to work hard to get by Bacchulum as he never makes it easy.
Forgot to mention I chased Bacchulum in the dying laps of R2 and again I couldn't get by!!  He certainly has the race
craft down pat . . . . just needs to start making a few mistakes  ::) ::)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 08:03:43 AM »
Again had to work hard to get by Bacchulum as he never makes it easy.
Forgot to mention I chased Bacchulum in the dying laps of R2 and again I couldn't get by!!  He certainly has the race
craft down pat . . . . just needs to start making a few mistakes  ::) ::)
+1 to that. Like I said in my report, he's a great one to chase.

Re the turn 1/2 rule, this is from the ReadMe thread one forum up:

Turn 1 Racing Etiquette
To avoid turn 1 incidents, in turns 1 and 2 of the opening lap, stay on your side of the track, i.e. leave racing room for the cars around you. Don't close up the gap by cutting acorss to the apex on the other side of the track. All cars will come through safely this way without big pileups.

This is also told to everyone in their welcome PM when they join up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal