Xtreme Gaming Network

S4R5: Nurburgring Race Chat

Author Topic: S4R5: Nurburgring Race Chat  (Read 37116 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S4R5: Nurburgring Race Chat
« on: December 09, 2014, 11:07:35 PM »
Car Allocations (slowest, 1:53.430 to fastest, 1:49.317):

DriverOld CarNew Car
StanDaamLotus Evora GTCP4/5 CompetizioneMcLaren MP4-12C GT3
GrubbetBMW M3 GT2BMW M3 GT2
ImperiousBMW M3 GT2BMW M3 GT2
FlattopBMW M3 GT2BMW M3 GT2
SchmittezBMW M3 GT2BMW M3 GT2
GratulinMercedes SLS GT3McLaren MP4-12C GT3P4/5 Competizione
Dave OBMW M3 GT2BMW M3 GT2
BacchulumMcLaren MP4-12C GT3Ferrari 458 GT2]BMW M3 GT2
GWyarBMW M3 GT2BMW M3 GT2
Rob [Team MRT]Ferrari 458 GT2Ferrari 458 GT2BMW M3 GT2
EdWoodLotus Evora GXLotus Evora GX
RPMBMW M3 GT2BMW M3 GT2
Wally [TKO Racing]Mercedes SLS GT3Mercedes SLS GT3
Vipergod [Team MRT]BMW M3 GT2BMW M3 GT2Ferrari 458 GT2
FreezerP4/5 CompetizioneMercedes SLS GT3P4/5 Competizione
Ysu [TKO Racing]Lotus Evora GTCLotus Evora GTC
TomLotus Evora GTCLotus Evora GX
Guybrush Threepwood [Achilles Heels]Lotus Evora GXLotus Evora GX
Marty [Achilles Heels]Lotus Evora GTCLotus Evora GX
M8RMercedes SLS GT3Lotus Evora GTC
Matthew111Lotus Evora GXLotus Evora GX
KrahlMercedes SLS GT3Lotus Evora GX

Other drivers:
Aiman - Lotus Evora GX
cramjet - Ferrari 458 GT2
Insomniac - BMW M3 GT2
Phil - Ferrari 458 GT2

Edit: Hi Wally, I took the liberty to correct the tags. Bruce.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:18:14 PM by Flattop Bruce »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: S4R5: Nurburgring Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 11:40:50 PM »
A bit of admin

Can the following people download the latest version of the cutting app (0.7) from THIS LINK

Matthew111
Tom
Vipergod
Grubbet

Yes, I will fix it so it resets the warnings on session restart.

Teamspeak
If you're not already running TeamSpeak, please consider it, so you know what's going on on the night if we call race restarts, rolling start decisions like at Monza T1 etc. You don't have to have a mic, but if you can at least hear us, it will make the night run smoother.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 12:22:59 AM »
Seems there are a lots moving into Evora GX's next round, I thought the handicaps were quite good at Monza with the best race lap for many being very close. If the guys that were in GT3 or GTC but already close to the 1:50 mark then I dont think putting them in a slower car is going to help them.

I know Wally you handicap on average lap but I dont think thats not as good an indicator as a persons best race lap for the nite. This shows their true race pace, here I have listed the field and their best race lap in order.

Krahl    mercedes_sls_gt3    1:49:317  1:50:055
Matthew    lotus_evora_gx    1:50:810 1:49:983
M8R    mercedes_sls_gt3    1:50:319  1:50:022
Marty       lotus_evora_gtc    1:50:215  1:50:096
Guybrush lotus_evora_gx    1:50:166  1:50:102
Tom    lotus_evora_gtc    1:50:221 1:57:240
Ysu            lotus_evora_gtc    1:52:083 1:50:475
Freezer    p4-5_2011            1:50:641  1:51:130
Vipergod bmw_m3_gt2            1:53:299 1:50:792
Wally    mercedes_sls_gt3    1:51:930 1:50:794
RPM    bmw_m3_gt2            1:52:187  1:50:948
EdWood    lotus_evora_gx    1:51:391 1:51:102
Rob           ferrari_458_gt2    1:51:944 1:51:241
GWyar    bmw_m3_gt2            1:52:440 1:51:391
Dave O     bmw_m3_gt2            1:53:505 1:51:667
Gratulin      mercedes_sls_gt3    1:53:761 1:51:825
Schmittez  bmw_m3_gt2    1:53:580 1:51:972
Bacchulum mp412c_gt3            1:51:624 1:52:077
Flattop    bmw_m3_gt2            1:52:512
Imperious  bmw_m3_gt2    1:53:441 1:52:844
Grubbet     bmw_m3_gt2            1:53:641 1:53:325
StanDaam  lotus_evora_gtc    1:53:430 1:53:684

I think the handicapping worked quite well and going by this I think the only person that should get a slower car then they were in is Krahl, his lap being .7 under 1:50 is a pretty big margin to second. Seeing from second fastest to 10th fastest there is only a gap of 1 second so I think these should all probably stay as they are.

The people from Edwood down I think could do with a car boost if possible, I would also change the guys further back in M3 GT2 cars into the Ferrari as I think it is the quicker car of the 2 gt2's. Edwood could get a boost into a gt3 or p4/5, Gratulin into a GT2 and StanDaam also into a GT2 going by his laptimes. The others already in M3 GT2 probably would get the boost moving to the ferrari.

There really isnt much difference in the Evora's but clearly Guy is still quicker then me if its a slower car and we pretty much had the same pace through both races. My best race lap was only .008 faster then his and I get dropped down a car. Same as M8R who was pretty much the same pace yet he has been dropped to the slowest car from one a few steps up.

Sorry for being a pain and questioning your authority Wally  ;D but I just think if you move people down when they are just at the front of the pack time wise it just means next round they will be further off the pace. Then the week after they will likely be way off the pace getting a much faster car for the round after, if the guys all within 1 second of the realistic lead pace stay as they are and anyone much faster like Krahl should get an extra handicap with everyone else being moved closer towards the times possible by the fastest guy in the slowest car.

There is no slower car for Guy so I think handicapping so everyone can be + or - .5 of this laptime would be the ideal solution. Nurburgring probably will have bigger gaps being a more technical track but I think the lead pack was quite evenly matched this week.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 07:39:42 AM »
That order is only subtly different to the order using the two races.

" I just think if you move people down when they are just at the front of the pack time wise it just means next round they will be further off the pace"

No, it gets them closer to the average time across the field, which is always the goal - to compress then field. Faster guys get slower cars.

To get the entire field of 20 guys of very different speeds to within 4 seconds over a nearly 2 minute lap shows the system is working.

I do agree though that just using the fastest time is probably a better indication of their pace. It would only make some subtle differences, but I'll give it a go.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 08:00:39 AM »
I think average is more realistic.  Over the course of a race if I happen to jag a hot lap which may be due to drafting, the odd cut, throwing on some softs for the last dash or just plain keeping it together then that just reflects my 10/10's pace rather than my race reality.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 08:10:52 AM »
I've updated the first post with a few changes, using the fastest lap.

I think it's worth a go Freezer. Mostly the second race was faster for guys, most likely because they've got more laps in that combo under their belt, and it reflects better their actual ability.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 08:52:24 AM »
Ideally I guess it would be the average of say the 3 fastest laps.  But I think we might be starting to split hairs.  The system seems to be working fairly well - as long as there are no Z4's involved! ;)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 09:57:52 AM »

" I just think if you move people down when they are just at the front of the pack time wise it just means next round they will be further off the pace"

No, it gets them closer to the average time across the field, which is always the goal - to compress then field. Faster guys get slower cars.

To get the entire field of 20 guys of very different speeds to within 4 seconds over a nearly 2 minute lap shows the system is working.

I do agree though that just using the fastest time is probably a better indication of their pace. It would only make some subtle differences, but I'll give it a go.

The only problem with getting people closer to the average across the field is you cant slow the guys in the Evora's down any more. So Its probably better trying to get all times closer to the fastest guy in the slowest car. If the fastest guy in the slowest car has no hope as in Spa it shows some guys had cars a bit too quick there. Also the slowest guys still may not quite get enough boost but unfortunatly there arent any other gt type cars they can go to. I dont think you want to slow anyone more then this fastest guybrush  ;) in the slowest car.

But looking at those best laps I was amazed how close the actual pace was which showed the handicap worked very well and most of the field was actually within a couple seconds if you take out the fastest and bottom 4 so this mid pack was very close and was good to race. Race 1 in equal cars the time gaps throughout must have been much larger and also much bigger gaps up front.

The problem with the average lap between the 2 races I see is there could be a race you have a damaged car or stuck in traffic the entire time. This will mean your laptimes will be a bit skewed also for those that didnt do much practice they will generally get quicker in race 2. I think thats more the persons true pace and I dont know how much gain there is in a draft.

Maybe some cars that are running high aero its more true but if I was ever close enough to someone to draft I had to slow more in the next corner either to pass or avoid hitting the guy ahead if I couldnt make a move. A higher aero car getting a draft will normally lose time passing or need to back off in corners if not making a move. The speed boost up the straight is rarely going to give a lap benefit. At Monza ferrari tries and fails this every year in qualy so its much harder to gain then it appears.

Thanks for considering the small change Wally and it will be interesting to see how it goes next round. Its a very different track so aero should help the gt2 cats a bit more hopefully. This should bring the guys a little off pace closer to the front.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 10:21:59 AM »
I think it has to be the middle ground, or the average time, because you just get bitten by the same problem at the other end. You can't make the guys in the fastest cars any faster. You're ultimately hamstrung at both ends, without the flexibility of ballast. So long as guys can have close racing with at least someone, that's the main thing.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 10:36:02 AM »
Yea its always the issue with a limit in cars available, if there was ballast it could possibly work combined with car handicaps in a series like this. Having 6 seconds of ballast in a one make series I think would be rather nasty but if you had a car that was already slower then it wouldnt need so much ballast. There could also be minor fine tuning of ballast between people in the same cars and so I think a combination of ballast and varied cars may be the best solution in the end.

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 11:00:54 AM »
What does "other" mean? Do I sit out next week? :'(

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 11:13:35 AM »
What does "other" mean? Do I sit out next week? :'(

No no. That's just because you weren't in this last round, and your car didn't change.

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 03:08:24 PM »
Great, thanks Wally.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 05:32:17 PM »
So it's the red car I get, is it Wally?

2+2=√16

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 05:59:10 PM »
I think it has to be the middle ground, or the average time, because you just get bitten by the same problem at the other end. You can't make the guys in the fastest cars any faster. You're ultimately hamstrung at both ends, without the flexibility of ballast. So long as guys can have close racing with at least someone, that's the main thing.
So now I'm confused.  Are we sticking with the original choice of car or the amended (red ones).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal