Xtreme Gaming Network

The State of Assetto Corsa

Author Topic: The State of Assetto Corsa  (Read 34641 times)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
Re: The State of Assetto Corsa
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 06:52:13 AM »
Cue my absolute disdain for how Kunos can make 200 GT cars and yet we don't have a single entry level open wheeler.

Lotus 25 doesn't count!  ;)

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 01:11:00 PM »
Cue my absolute disdain for how Kunos can make 200 GT cars and yet we don't have a single entry level open wheeler.

Lotus 25 doesn't count!  ;)

I suppose the formula abarth is as close as it gets. It is meant to be aimed at karting graduates, but it's more like an f3 car and most drivers would drive a formula ford or a formula vee before moving to wings and slicks like the abarth.

Just did a quick calculation and I have at least 900 hours in rf2 and I only started playing it again in May last year  :o
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 01:13:15 PM by christopheraser »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 02:51:49 PM »
I dont think the tyres are perfect and they arent in any sim, main thing many ISI fans seem to think is that all sims are trying to recreated how ISI do things when they are trying to recreate how things work in reality. If adding as much camber as possible gives you the most grip then you should easily be the fastest if thats how simple it is. To me ISI based sims feels way less then any real experience I have in comparison to AC and thats why I gave up sim racing for a while when I just got over needing to relearn to drive any new car. Ive driven quite a few different types of cars on real tracks and never did I need to re learn how to actually drive just find how best to get the most out of them. This is one thing AC does that no ISI sim ever has to me, then in order to be quick in those sims you need to make silly setups and drive in a very unrealistic way to get the most out of it. Im sure in AC you can to a point but using realistic setups and same inputs as in a real car do work quite well.

I dont mind the method of car selection in the server, at least that way we can mix up the grid. There is an option to do it the other way but that requires pre book servers and they really suck and so I give them a miss. The other option is using the temp cars as in ISI games but again Id rather not see big boxes driving around so to me thats not a huge deal. Skins could be dealt with in some way but I really dont care what skin I have in a pub server and for league racing its easy enough to sort skins/cars for all.

Sure the basic racing parts like jump starts rolling starts, manual limiter better pit control/preset strategies are more then welcome and these are things I wish they implement. Not that its something Id really put up for a pub server as the last thing we need is idiots jumping the start and flying through pits at 300kmh. If we can set auto kick for jump start or very high pit lane speeds then these can be useable outside of league racing but thats the only time you need these features.

Minor rating or better to say Minorating :) does work very well, however the practice server is more there to get peoples ratings. I dont know if all xgn guys are AB rated so need to enable C and N (unrated) people into the practice server. This means that server will not get a huge benefit from that system as unrated and c grade drivers can enter, It only stops the 2 worst rated classes from entering.

Re content I dont think that should be left to modders, as we can see modders can do good work but many I wouldnt bother with. Some nice tracks but overall all official content is better or equal to the best mods which there arent that many. And many more are quite average also mods are fairly useless outside league racing in MP due to not many even using them and also version missmatches. When it comes to official content most have it including the DLC's but I have never had many in any pub server with any mod content.

I do have all the other sims but the driving in AC gives me more of the real feeling I get on real tracks. This is the main reason I went away from RF1/ RF2 the cars even though praised by the few users it has do some pretty weird stuff. GSCE is better but to me the old engine and ISI limitations still need more bandaids or a complete rewrite especially at low speed stuff. The balance between aero and mechanical grip there just seems odd to me and never felt natural.

The good thing is that we have plenty of choices, we can all try them all and use what we like. Id love a perfect sim that has everything but there isnt one of those for me. AC has by far the best driving model so I let the things its missing slide but still hope they get added at some point. They would be nice features but in for example the ISI sims that have more or Iracing better MP then all others. None of them drive as well to me so I still prefer AC, also RF2 runs like a complete turd on my setup so I gave up on that. Need to pay extra for mp when it was already dead back then so thats not going to help its cause and its pricing is very odd so wont encourage many new users. This all means much lower numbers in mp so unless running leagues in it I wouldnt bother. If I prefered its driving model I would run it but features for me arent as important as the driving model itself.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 03:12:08 PM »
While this thread is not about RF2 (or should not be) my biggest issues with RF1/2 are similar to yours, Marty.
Namely the mods (99% garbage) and the inconsistency between cars, and the unrealistic handling feel (as much as I can tell).

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 03:38:09 PM »
Thats why its better to have more official content, its great to have mods but relying purely on modders is a bad model for sims.

Most of the current sims dev teams are filled with ex modders so there are some very talented people out there. Also everyone needs to start somewhere so everyones first few mods will never be their greatest.

Having solid high quality official content is a great thing and the more the better. At leaet its not like Iracing here where you get the best of both worlds in terms of content. Id also gladly pay for Iracing's library of tracks in another sim that isnt Iracing.  ;D

How good wpuod it be if we had a company realeasing laser scanned tracks at Iracing quality for all other sims. Then we could run them in whichever sim we prefer and they would likely sell quite a few copies.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2016, 04:05:23 PM »
I tried the rFactor 2 demo for about an hour and all I can say at this early stage is that I'm pretty happy with AC :)

Good features in rFactor 2 though, but it doesn't seem that much has changed since rF1 tbh.  It is only a demo though.

I probably need a decent FFB profile for RF2 to get the most out of it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:11:06 PM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2016, 04:27:55 PM »
I tried the rf2 demo this morning (my earlier subscription expired). What you get with rf2 is completeness.
  • dynamic weather & rain
  • dynamic racing line
  • start lights, pit limiter, flags, penalties
  • safety car
  • MP time progression
  • night/illuminating headlights
  • pit stop strategies
  • brake temps/more setup options

It's all there.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2016, 05:09:00 PM »
Maybe what we need is Assetto Factor? :-X

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2016, 05:38:21 PM »
Absolutely! Add all those features to AC and you'd have the killer sim.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2016, 06:57:31 PM »

Absolutely! Add all those features to AC and you'd have the killer sim.
You've got BALLAST! What more do you want?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2016, 07:25:36 PM »
True...is there ballast in rf2? ;)

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2016, 09:47:52 PM »
I wasn't trying to make this AC vs RF2, but it's gone that way.

I agree with your Marty re the camber, but there is should be a penalty to running high levels of negative (or positive camber). If you are running up on the inside edge of the tyres all the time then temp and wear should come into play and there should be less ability for the car the brake as the contact patch is reduced. I feel like I'm cheating when I crank the negative camber and get a tonne of lateral grip, but no loss in longitudinal and the tyres seem to last just as long and for me this is something that has gotten worse with recent tyre patches to the AC physics engine. That said my main problem with AC is not physics related. I prefer rf2's physics, but I find AC's to be good enough. They are different, but after a couple of laps to reacquaint myself with it I can tell what the car is doing and can respond appropriately with my wheel and pedals.

Most rf2 servers now run getmod, so any missing components can be uploaded to the user as they connect to the server. It's another thing that has only started working in the last twelve months. This works for user created skins too, they upload themselves to the server and then the server will push them to other users. So admins don't need to create and control custom skin packs.

Marty are you running a laptop with a secondary gpu? I had that problem for ages. For some reason rf2 will not let you use the secondary GPU.

It's been good to see what is important to other sim racers in the open environment, where people are being mature about the topic. I have tried to have these discussions on reddit previously and it just gets downvoted into oblivion the minute anyone voices an opinion that isn't in the favour of their sim. I think most simracers tend to stick to "their" game and don't get any outside perspective or even bother to try what else is out there, but are happy to slap down other titles out of some strange loyalty to "their" game. Thanks for the input guys.

Yeah there is ballast, although I'm not a fan of ballast. I don't mind getting beaten week in week out. I like to see how I'm improving against the fast guys in any particular league and gauge myself against them. I don't want to be racing them knowing they are carrying x amount of ballast.

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2016, 12:11:10 AM »

I probably need a decent FFB profile for RF2 to get the most out of it.

Definitely, although I would say this of any sim racing game.

Every sim I have spent a decent amount of time with has involved hours tweaking sliders, editing variables in a text file and looking up other people's ideal settings to get things the way I like it.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2016, 08:46:17 AM »
Chris, there's danger in the auto-loading of content, too; it can contain malware or completely inappropriate content. 
I guess that's why it's not used usually.

WRT camber; you do lose some braking ability with extreme camber, IMO.  No scientific testing done on the subject, though :)
But you can't expect much when you just crank the default -1 to -2.5 (i.e. on street cars)

As for reddit; people are simply expressing their opinion via voting.  It's a broken system for discussions, not really the visitor's fault IMO.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:48:01 AM by Bird »

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2016, 09:32:24 AM »

Chris, there's danger in the auto-loading of content, too; it can contain malware or completely inappropriate content. 
I guess that's why it's not used usually.

I guess that threat is real with any third party content for any game Sim Racing or otherwise. You just show due diligence and do your best to make sure that the source is trustworthy. That said I have not heard a single complaint from any racer anywhere about get mod pulling down nefarious content.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal