Xtreme Gaming Network

THE Oculus Rift Thread

Author Topic: THE Oculus Rift Thread  (Read 85000 times)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
THE Oculus Rift Thread
« on: October 17, 2014, 06:34:51 PM »
Hi, Thought it was a good time to start a dedicated topic for the OR.

I've just noticed that you get the laptime displayed at the top of the screen in GREEN. It's sort in the roof of a closed car interior just above the windscreen. Similar to where the virtual rearview mirror is when you have that on.

Anyone else noticed this?

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: THE Oculus Rift Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »
I havent noticed but I dont have a rift so that could be a reason.  ;)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 06:55:43 PM »
I also noticed that Marty doesn't have a rift.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 07:13:02 PM »
Is the Rift easy to use?
I've been holding off as it's only DK, so I thought it might be out of my knowledge base. :o
It would help in my miniscule unit not to need 3 screens. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 07:33:46 PM »

I have noticed this too. It causes my immersion to be lame.
 I wan't his head to be spinning when I t-bone him, accidentally of cause, at 200kmh+

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 08:01:28 PM »

I have noticed this too. It causes my immersion to be lame.
 I wan't his head to be spinning when I t-bone him, accidentally of cause, at 200kmh+
I think you guys need to plug it in somewhere first - that should help your immersion. :))

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 12:08:45 AM »

Is the Rift easy to use?
I've been holding off as it's only DK, so I thought it might be out of my knowledge base. :o
It would help in my miniscule unit not to need 3 screens. ;)
Bacchulum,

It isn't difficult to setup. Just a bit fiddly at the moment. DK really only refers to the stage of development rather than how easy it is to use. It is the OS and application support that is still really in its infancy.

I think it still needs a strong graphics card so I wouldn't see it as a way to avoid upgrading to a triple setup. Even though it is only 1920x1080 resolution it is rendering two images and doing full 3D and low latency and frame rate is critical. The amount of graphics detail is amazing.

Also, the Rift is not ready to use full time in Assetto Corsa. There are no menus so you can't select setups, check other driver laptimes, see split times etc. You can't tell if you are in practise, qual or race mode and cannot tell how many laps are remaining. The problem is that you cannot get this information inside the Rift world and you cannot take the Rift off and read that info from your normal monitor.

Basic menu and info screens will come pretty quickly. But I think it is going to be a period of experimentation for Kunos as they try and work out how to integrate the user programmed apps into the VR world. They have a software architecture problem in the way they overlay the menus on the driving screen. Those menus are not part of the actual simulation engine from what I can tell. So Kunos has to develop a whole new menu and information system that is visible and selectable inside the Rift world. LFS could do VR Support quickly because their menus were already rendered as part of the simulation engine,

I'd be happy with a basic HUD inside the Rift showing laps, time, session type and track map - something like a Motec. All other selection menus could just be displayed on the normal screen. Then you just take off the Rift to select a setup etc.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 08:22:30 AM »
Good writeup.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 08:23:26 AM »
Good writeup.

I can't see it with my Rift on.. What's he saying?

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 08:56:02 AM »

Good writeup.

I can't see it with my Rift on.. What's he saying?
Dick, as I said before you need to plug the Rift in. :))

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 01:22:24 PM »
First you need to sell your soul to the devil Dick and buy a Facebook rift  ;D

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 01:44:27 PM »
First you need to sell your soul to the devil Dick and buy a Facebook rift  ;D

I quite like to read books so this shouldn't be an issue for me.

Offline DarrenM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
DK2 is awesome, AC DK2's support is currently not. It's still barely implemented and currently unusable for any serious driving. Shows the potential though as they seem to have at least done the warping properly this time.

They put the laptime in the DK1 support to make up for the lack of UI/app support. It used to show your gear as well.

While the panel is 1080p games need to render at a higher resolution before applying the lens correction warp so that it stays sharp. They render at something more like 1440p. With iRacing's DK1 support they rendered at 1600x1200 for the 1280x800 display.

In AC at the moment I get about 110fps in rift mode vs 210 in single monitor @ 1080p which is pretty poor optimization. In LFS it's 130 vs 190. iRacing had optimized their rift support better so I think it'll be even less difference there.

With AC's support being so poor and their devs seemingly having no interest in doing it properly I suspect I'll be going back to iracing for the bulk of my racing for the next few months at least. Virtual desktop with AC only gives 1/2 the experience.

I think DK1 had about 1/4 the needed resolution. DK2 has about 1/2. If they can do 4k for the first consumer release it should be great. A 4k panel doesn't mean you have to run the game at 4k though.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 05:02:27 PM »
Mr Gratulin/ Mr Marsh. Dick here.
   Have you used your Rift so much now that you get up in the morning and instead of actually going to work you think; "Stuff it, I'll just Rift it"?

Offline DarrenM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 07:10:34 PM »
Artists rendition :)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 07:12:45 PM by DarrenM »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal