Xtreme Gaming Network

S25R3: Atlanta Journal-Constitution Grand Prix at Road Atlanta 2017

Author Topic: S25R3: Atlanta Journal-Constitution Grand Prix at Road Atlanta 2017  (Read 28663 times)

Offline RussG

• View Profile
Re: S25R3: Atlanta Journal-Constitution Grand Prix at Road Atlanta 2017
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2018, 11:31:47 PM »
At turn 1, Russ drifted wide across the track on corner exit and bumped Phil off the track, causing him to lose positions – penalty.
Bacchulum collided with the rear of killagorilla, sending him off track – penalty.
I also take from this ruling that the "stay on your side for turns 1 & 2" rule is now obsolete?
Rules is rules: "don't deviate from your side of the track in the first two corners to reduce the risk of hitting someone beside you".
This is fun  :o ;D
So, from the Bacchulum ruling, I read it that Phil collided with the rear of RussG and sent Phil off track, but with the RussG ruling, killa deviated from his side of the track and hit Bacchulum .... LOL. Honestly I didn't even know that there had been any issue until I saw I had a penalty.
Stay strong Wally  8)

Qually went good. I had a better lap going but it messed up at the last chicane. The lap I did was still good enough for second  ... phew, but there was no hope of getting near Matthew's time which I assume was 100% boost for the whole lap in the Long Tail.

Looks like Jeremy select 100% boost in the Long Tail at the start and blew everyone away to jump from 7th to 2nd at T1, upset my mojo and I ran Phil off tarck ... haha
Then I was easily faster than Jeremy over a lap but there was no way to pass so Matthew eased away in front. I tried a bit too hard and made a couple of small mistakes and Jeremy got a small break as well.
About lap 9 Jeremy went off over the hill at the end of lap and I was released. I pulled Matthew back in from an 8+ second gap, then the pit stop .... yawwwwnnnn - you go to sleep in a Shorty pit stop.
After the pit stop, Matthew was 30 seconds ahead due to needing to add a lot less fuel to go to the finish, so it was game over for the Shorty.
I decided to just cruise to the end, but then as so often happens, lost concentration and made a few mistakes, and with a handful of laps left Mael was right on me. I knuckled down and got going again, but Mael also had good pace at the end and I was really chuffed to hold him off to finish 2nd.
Great result for the Shorty that I didn't think we would get at this track, but due to some others misfortunes (looking at Shayne), it came off  ;D ;D

Thanks all for the racing and disappointed that Freezer had the incident at the start as currently I see him as the main Shorty threat  :P
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2018, 07:28:49 AM »
The rule is clear: you entered turn 1 on the right of the track, moved across to the left while braking (so you came in too fast), and Phil ended up off the track with damage.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2018, 11:07:22 AM »
Looks like Jeremy select 100% boost in the Long Tail at the start and blew everyone away to jump from 7th to 2nd at T1, upset my mojo and I ran Phil off tarck ... haha

Quite impressive that, I started on 60% boost. Any higher and the risk of doing donuts on the grid is too high  ;D

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2018, 04:31:57 PM »
You're right Killa, you were visible peripherally, and I'd conceded the place but didn't want to lose more.
I was focused on the car directly in front of me (used to the the "stay your side" rule) and was surprised when you started to fill the gap.
That's all, didn't mean it. :-[ :-[
The penalty can stand, I don't care about that, I'm about a minute away from anyone else so it's a spit in the ocean. :-X
Wally posted an aerial view from another incident a while ago. I don't have it when toggling through the views available, but I think that's the best perspective to judge incidents.
So, I think that's been used and led to the decision. I started way back and for me it wasn't turn 2  ;) By then I must admit I forgot about this rule and my crew chief has given me a "clear left".
Anyway looking at the new server top speeds it seems the times where the Mazda was faster than the shorty on the straights are over. I've got my rear wing on 13, may be able to do 12, but that's it...any lower and I can't control the rear end anymore.

Offline ab156

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2018, 05:59:26 PM »
Rarely bother watching the reply, life is too short.

Watched the start on this one due to the chatter, I think the rulings are spot on for both.  One was a car drifting across 3 lanes forcing a car off, the other was clear front to rear contact forcing a car off.  Jeremy certainly exacerbated but not sure you can penalise a car for getting a great start!

It's good to have a friendly debate, let's make sure it stays that way and we all respect the work Wally puts in.  To me it's pretty clear, if you are out of lane in the first corners and impact another drivers race through contact you will get a penalty.  If you rear end someone on lap 1 you will most likely get a penalty (exception if there is mitigating circumstance ahead).

My race was ok, I have been sick as dog for the last few days so wasn't sure concentration / endurance would be there.  Pleased to have only had 1 minor off during the whole race although I was at least 1 second down on practice pace.  Sorry for the rejoin Phil, tyres were spinning, I was trying to leave room on the racing line for you but at a really bad spot.  The longtail was horrible in the first half of the track and a bullet on the back straight - I am sure quite a few people (Phil, Wally, Killa) were cursing me at times :)

I am enjoying the different natures of the cars, it adds a new element in understanding who, and more importantly how, you are racing.  Killa got stuck behind me for 10 laps at the end, he was quicker but I could open the gap on the back straight, all I had to do was focus on T1, if he had got past there he would have gapped me by the back straight.  It helps when you are on the winning side but I love that kind of strategy and intensity.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2018, 09:51:40 PM »
Thanks AB - I've been doing this for 7+ years, so I've seen it all ;)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal