Xtreme Gaming Network

S11R1: Barbagallo post-race chat

Author Topic: S11R1: Barbagallo post-race chat  (Read 29811 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: S11R1: Barbagallo post-race chat
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2016, 01:13:09 PM »
Yeah, sorry about that Grat.  I thought the space was aplenty, and I've really tried to keep going straight.

P.s. I've just driven an 86 today (test drive) and it sounds better IRL, but very similar.  That pleasing grrrr is already there at pretty low revs.  And man it sticks to the road...  I think I'll have to buy one :D

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 01:14:59 PM »
Turn 1 there are a few lines but if someone is following you really cant go the wide entry with a late apex as anyone can dive inside brake later and still make the early apex taking yours away completly.
Ahah. Yes, I remember you teaching me that. Ask Phil if I got that point: I closed the inside line to him for like 14 out of 16 laps in Race1 (yes: there were two laps I had actually more than 1 second advantage).

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 01:18:31 PM »
Yeah, sorry about that Grat.  I thought the space was aplenty, and I've really tried to keep going straight.

P.s. I've just driven an 86 today (test drive) and it sounds better IRL, but very similar.  That pleasing grrrr is already there at pretty low revs.  And man it sticks to the road...  I think I'll have to buy one :D
You should! I saw a track-prepped used one at the shop close to home like a month ago. It looked cool, with its adjustable front suspensions (don't ask me what it was adjustable, it was a +/- thing on top of the dumpers/springs) and big cross-bars reinforced engine casing. It was much cheaper (25K?) than the fancy Abarth595 (35K?) they had there, and both probably had a crash at some point anyway ;)

Offline trackmeister

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 01:27:08 PM »
With the false jump starts maybe you can avoid those at the session change over by filteringnout the early pnes way before the actual start.

I havent really looked at the log file but assume all jumps are timecoded and all the false ones seemed to be as the session skipped over to race. Seeing the start is about 60 seconds after the race session starts maybe you could just filter out all jump starts or collisions in the report in the first 30 seconds of the race session.

Also here is a full replay from race 2, this was quite a fun race but finishing behind GB wasnt the plan. I was nearly clean except for giving freezer a little nudge as je slowed for a slower car ahead into the esses. I then gave GB a slight bump into the apex of the last turn while trying to hang on around the outside.

Bacchulum did well to hold you off. Bacch and I got great starts and we're pretty much near each other the whole race until I got a mirror full of pace setters on my tail. For best starts award Bacchulum probably takes the trophy. Great races and great vids! Thanks for posting the vids.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2016, 01:32:30 PM »
That collision with Grat, Chap and Bird is not exactly easy to see from the high angle in the video. Grat hasnt done anything wrong but was pretty much done out wide there on entry and had there been no contact would likely have lost both spots I think. 3 wide outside there wpuld be very slow but also Grat may not have known hew was 3 wide and if the contact hadnt happened there it likely would have near the apex.

The way I see the actual collision Chap saw he was very close to Grat and so kind of half panicked and went more right only to find Bird there. Bird has slightly moved outside on entry while Chap was moving inside a bit and they both ended up going for the same bit of track amd made contact in a racing incident hard to lay any blame. Not sure if Grat or Bird saw they were 3 wide and this will always be tricky and why I was a bit amazed all the times I was 3 wide turned out with no contacts.

The collision itself didnt look like any weird netcode pinball and pretty much the cars reacted as you would expect I think.

Nice I took a new gtr for a spin a few weeks ago and am looking at getting a couple years old one in from Japan. I will be in Japan for a few weeks later in the year so will try get one on a track there and see what I can find as the local prices are insane and importing one from Japan works out much cheaper then buying a second hand one here.

Its possible 2017 I could spend mostly in Japan so Im not in a huge hurry to get a car until then where I could buy a car have it there 12 months and bring it back to Australia with no duty. That way I could get a brand new one have it for a year and it would still be worth way more then I paid for it in Australia thanks to our 100% luxury car tax rate.  ;)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2016, 01:38:27 PM »
The only trouble with gray imports is servicing - but I'm sure you know it already.  I've looked at it a while ago, too, but to me it looked like too much hassles.  And recently a friend has got a gray import japanese, and he needs to fix it himself, basically, as no-one is willing to touch it.  That gets a "hell no" from me ;)

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2016, 01:43:15 PM »
That collision with Grat, Chap and Bird is not exactly easy to see from the high angle in the video. Grat hasnt done anything wrong but was pretty much done out wide there on entry and had there been no contact would likely have lost both spots I think. 3 wide outside there wpuld be very slow but also Grat may not have known hew was 3 wide and if the contact hadnt happened there it likely would have near the apex.

The way I see the actual collision Chap saw he was very close to Grat and so kind of half panicked and went more right only to find Bird there. Bird has slightly moved outside on entry while Chap was moving inside a bit and they both ended up going for the same bit of track amd made contact in a racing incident hard to lay any blame. Not sure if Grat or Bird saw they were 3 wide and this will always be tricky and why I was a bit amazed all the times I was 3 wide turned out with no contacts.

The collision itself didnt look like any weird netcode pinball and pretty much the cars reacted as you would expect I think.
100% agree. And yes, I had no idea Bird was so close. Exiting previous corner I had to lift not to bump into Chap. I had a glimpse in the mirrors then and saw that Bird was coming, but had no idea of how faster he would have been. I had a little space on the outside and went for it, but I knew (as you said) I could not make a pass. From that moment on my eyes were only on the distance between me and Chap and the grass on my left, as it was very narrow in there. Everything else... I did not care about. I was just thinking of braking early and nicely and choose a decent exit for next straight, as I did a few times yesterday (it worked... half of the time?). So when I got the bump, I did not think of Bird being there at all. That's why I asked on TS "what was that?" because I wondered how did Chap's car move so suddenly.

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2016, 02:16:06 PM »
Tried to watch my replay of race 3 but I'm doing something wrong. I have a replay but missing the first 5mins or so...What size should I allow replays? Mine doesn't start til after my incident... :-\

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2016, 02:26:05 PM »
I think it was a slight bit exaggerated, still. (the crash) - the bodies of the cars still react rather rigidly.  But it's not as bad as it was before.

However, I've noticed that some people's cars sortof move back-and-forth a bit.   It's not a big movement, but it's unsettling, still.  The car seems to have a bad exit of a corner, then suddenly jerks forwards, then back a bit again.  About half-meter to meter movements, that can't be explained, but chalked up to a bit of a connection problem not handled really properly.  It makes close racing with a few ppl rather precarious.

Slideways: set it to maximum, it'll save the whole replay.

I've already upped my 3rd race replay here - while it's not yours it still contains the race...enjoy.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:27:57 PM by Bird »

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2016, 02:38:10 PM »
Have you seen this?!?

Stefano Casillo ‏@KunosStefano  7h7 hours ago
Good feedback from testers about new code to improve collisions in MP.. hope to be able to release AC 1.5.5 with it tomorrow.

Stefano Casillo ‏@KunosStefano  7h7 hours ago
Night coding, rewrote the entire #golang UDP socket layer to avoid locks.Regretting not going C++ for the AC server :(

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2016, 02:43:41 PM »
Have you seen this?!?

Have now.  ;)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2016, 03:23:09 PM »
I've noticed lots of surging lately - basically what Bird is talking about.  Cars appear to speed up and slow down fractionally over a short distance.

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2016, 03:39:45 PM »
I've already upped my 3rd race replay here - while it's not yours it still contains the race...enjoy.

Cheers mate.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2016, 04:16:42 PM »
I've noticed lots of surging lately - basically what Bird is talking about.  Cars appear to speed up and slow down fractionally over a short distance.
I think that's the whole smoothing algorithm that's been in place for a while now, to get rid of the bigger jumps that cars used to do.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2016, 05:25:20 PM »
Marty, you must have thought I was wider on the last turn for the couple of contacts we had there.  You can see from the attached screenshot using your video that I was on the apex.  It was the same in race 3.

Race 1 was OK.  Got the handy pole position on the outside of the track so Marty overtook on the inside of T1 but I managed to get back past on the back straight.  From there it was just trying to decrease then stabilise lap times.

Race 2 and 3 are a mix for me.  I can't remember what events occurred in which race!  Anyway it was a hell of a lot of fun.  A few times in Race 3 I had to throw on the anchors to avoid hitting people that had spun, but it was all good fun.  I think we all ended up with damage after the catastrophe coming out of T1 in Race 3.

All in all it was a great few races, especially the last 2.  I like the new format, I think it is well suited to these cars and sprint races.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal