Xtreme Gaming Network

Fun run Mar 7: Supercars at Spa

Author Topic: Fun run Mar 7: Supercars at Spa  (Read 31268 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Fun run Mar 7: Supercars at Spa
« on: February 28, 2017, 10:46:36 PM »

This fun run will be to try the supercar option for the next season.

3 x 5 laps, with a 15 min qually prior to each race so you can try different cars. I chose Spa because with the OSRW pit mod [DOWNLOAD], it has 40 pit boxes, so there are more of each car to choose from.

Ferrari 458 Italia
McLaren MP4-12C
Nissan GT-R NISMO
Porsche 911 GT3 RS
Porsche 911 R
Porsche 911 Turbo S
RUF RT12 R
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Fun run Mar 7: Supercars at Spa
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 07:37:43 AM »
In the past running these I found the ruf to be considerably quicker then the other supercars, the 488 also would fit in ok with them but the Porsches I dont know too much how they all compares. The gt3 rs was a pretty good match to the other supercars but I didnt test the oher 2 porsches that much against the other supercars.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 10:12:41 AM »
please don't add any more porsche, they are disgusting to drive and about0.5 out of 10 in fun
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 11:01:30 AM »
I would suggest adding also the Lamborghini Gallardo SL as its very close to the other supercars along with the 488. The ruf especially at a big track like Spa will dominate with its higher top speed if its chosen by any of the quicker guys I think.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 11:13:52 AM »
I more than likely won't be adding any cars to the mix. The Lambo and 488 are too fast. This is not going to be a definitive "choose your car" kind of race, as it's only one kind of track that favours power. It's more a "do you think these cars will be fun" kind of race.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 11:20:56 AM »
Lambo and 488 are both quite a bit slower then the ruf though. They always were pretty close to the other supercars when I used to run them quite a bit in pub servers. 488 only a bit quicker the the 458 and lambo seemed pretty much mid pack at most tracks.

I think having more cars that are close in performance would be better to spice the racing up a bit. But from the cars in the list the only one I have seen thats clearly outclassing the others is the ruf. Maybe rsr doesnt show this but rsr really is fairly useless in terms of stats as Im sure it wouod be quite easy to get rsr records in any of these cars at Spa for example meaning not many quick laps are done in any of them.

I will actually run some rsr laps in all the cars in the list at Spa and the lambo plus 488 to see hiw theyd stack up there.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 11:31:14 AM »
A quick look at RSR best pro mode times in the surpercars at Spa. The 458 seems too quick in this limited data, Ruf seems slower then I expected but again limited data. The others in this data are fairly close but I will try set a time in each to see how far off the pace many of these laps actually are as it seems to be on RSR for most combos these days as its not used by that many.

488                2:32.113
Ruf RT12R     2:34.631
458                2:34.765
911 R             2:35.214
911 Turbo S   2:35.580
Mp4 12C        2:36.253
Gallardo SL    2:36.261
911 GT3 RS    2:36.318
GTR Nismo     2:36.508

Just to show how RSR times arent a great indicator I just did a time with RSR in the Lambo of 2:34.272 and also in the GT3 rs 2:34.214 in the ruf 2:33.828 and in the other 5 cars I havent been able to get close to the records in the older builds being considerably off the pace. From past running I remember these supercars were all closer and it does seem like the latest ones to get to v10 tyres from much earlier tyre builds being older cars are considerably slower then they were. All the laps faster then mine in the other cars are set in older builds mostly 1.11.x builds which likely were a bit faster then anything in 1.12.x builds. I will try set a lap in all the cars but seems they wont be much quicker then what I did in the server. Some cars are a little quicker using tyre warmers and getting a lap in lap 1 or 2. But its not a great deal of time.

Any of those that swear by RSR times maybe should also try run some laps using it to raise the usefulness of the actual database for example the Lambo only has 17 laps at spa and only 4 laps under 2:37 while in this practice server running just this week there are already 4 laps under that which are also all under the old pro mode record.  This is why RSR data is a good rough indicator but with many combos having old data and many having very little data then the times in it arent a great indicator of any cars potential.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:22:13 PM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 12:10:32 PM »
As always, I base my car groupings on my analysis of average top RSR times over a range of tracks, and bearing in mind that not everybody is going to be fastest in the same car. This is the car list - I'm not starting this merry-go-round every time I choose more than one car. Choose which ever car you like from the list.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 12:22:03 PM »
As always, I base my car groupings on my analysis of average top RSR times over a range of tracks, and bearing in mind that not everybody is going to be fastest in the same car. This is the car list - I'm not starting this merry-go-round every time I choose more than one car. Choose which ever car you like from the list.

I guess your still stuck in your ways but RSR is not a very good measure of performance if its easy to break any record set in it by a considerable margin.  ;) I will still do my tests on RSR but when having supercars I think it would be good to include as many that are competitive to mix up the field especially if its only likely we will ever run them in a single season. If one car is clearly too fast then not including it would be a good idea but seems the decision has been made on not very reliable data. Sure not everyone will be as fast in any car but if some car is clearly faster for some and it cant be matched by others in any other car I dont think its a good choice. You also dont like me adding any suggestions from my many hours in AC and pub server racing in these cars in the past, using data from RSR seems to be what your stuck on so I will simply show how far out the RSR data actually is by setting laps in it.  ;)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 12:23:06 PM »
Marty is BACK!  ;D

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 12:57:47 PM »
Marty is BACK!  ;D

who gives the shit   ;D

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 01:13:36 PM »
Marty is BACK!  ;D

who gives the shit   ;D

The forum does. It gets lonely when hes not here..

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 01:19:59 PM »
What we need is a 98T, that really is a super car. 8)

2+2=√16

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 01:23:24 PM »
Marty is BACK!  ;D

who gives the shit   ;D

The forum does. It gets lonely when hes not here..

I will just avoid giving suggestions in the future, some just get a bit touchy about it. I didnt think suggesting another supercar that fits fairly well within the others was that big a deal giving another option for those that may want to try something else and add some variety to the grid. Many of the cars have likely all changed a fair bit in the latest tyre model update so old data is not exactly going to be reliable then again its the only accepted method for such decisions.

It could be a good idea to possibly fix the grip and weather setting on the practice server so all can run at the same grip level to give people a chance to get a comparison between cars. Having randomized grip levels does make it quite hard to compare between different cars for those that may not have tried many of them, though that again is a suggestion and maybe I should not have made that here either.  :-X

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 01:55:11 PM »
There's 7 cars to choose from across different makes. That's already quite a variety. It's not about finding the fastest time a car is capable of, it's about sticking a bunch of different people in the cars, that represent the kind of mix of people you get in a league (which is what the RSR times give a good indication of) and seeing in the whole mixed grid of cars and capabilities, which cars are on average competitive with each other. It's not about world record alien times or capabilities; only about 10% of the league is "alien class". As I've said many times before.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal