Xtreme Gaming Network

Porsche 911 RSR 2017

Author Topic: Porsche 911 RSR 2017  (Read 5024 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Porsche 911 RSR 2017
« on: March 26, 2017, 09:21:23 AM »
Some interesting insights from Aristotelis:

You're not imagining things. It is a tricky car to drive and even more tricky to setup.
Because of the rear engine placement, the rear diffuser is very limited and shallow. That means that the car creates downforce, mainly from the front splitter and rear wing.
Obviously to go fast, you need good downforce with low drag, and while on all the other cars you can lower the rear wing and have the rear diffuser balancing the car, in the 911 GT3 R, you can't (not enough downforce from the rear diffuser), but you're forced to... and the car becomes unstable.

There's more problems. The car has more weight at the rear, than the other cars. To have a balanced car, you need the tyres to be similar size proportionally to your weight balance. Most cars in GT3 class are around 50 to 47% weight balance at the front. The 911 GT3 R has only 40% weight the front, but it is forced by the regulations to use the fat front tyres. This makes the car unbalanced in mecchanical grip. It might give good turn in, but the car will always stay twitchy and nervous when you go over the limit

Finally, the car has a front fuel tank. This means the weight balance shifts a lot during the race, depending on the fuel level, making the car even more difficult to setup and find the correct compromise. Almost all the other cars have their fuel tank close to the CoG.

Yes, it's a hard car to drive and setup and now you understand why Porsche decided to make the 911 RSR (GTLM class) a mid engine car...
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Porsche 911 RSR 2017
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 12:14:07 AM »
Title should maybe be 911 gt3 r 2016 as only the last line is about why they made 2017 rsr mid engine due to the issues described with the 911 gt3 r.  ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 09:31:30 AM »
It looks like you're right. I can't remember where I got that quote from.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 10:59:28 AM »
Its an intersting quote still and I have not really tried the 911 gt3 r would be interesting to try a longer run i  the gt3 and gte to see how they both behave relative to eachother.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal