Xtreme Gaming Network

WEC pitstops

Author Topic: WEC pitstops  (Read 7025 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
WEC pitstops
« on: September 29, 2017, 09:46:57 PM »
After more fuel load testing, it seems that all the GT3s can relatively easily do an hour race on 1 tank, and in the LMP1s, the Audi and Porsche can only do 45 to 55ish mins (with the Porsche being slightly thirstier), while the Toyota can do a little more than an hour and so in theory won't need to refuel.

I'm tempted to ditch the mandatory tyre pit stop, and leave it completely open, so each cars' strengths and weaknesses can come into play. The Porsche is fastest, but thirstiest. The Toyota is less balanced to drive in my opinion, but it's more frugal on the fuel.

Of course we might find that any of the cars in either class will need to pit for tyre management in any case.

So can anyone see any flaws if we ditch the CPS and leave pitting entirely open?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline GymnasticHippo

• View Profile
Re: WEC pitstops
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 09:53:10 PM »
I think that's a valid call.

Porsche drivers just need to determine if its fast enough to offset the need for a splash and dash at the end

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 10:41:13 PM »
Tough one. :-\
If I choose the Audi or Porsche I need to stop for fuel.
If I choose the Toyota I need to stop for repairs.
Very tough one. :-\

:P

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 08:01:34 AM »
Tough one. :-\
If I choose the Audi or Porsche I need to stop for fuel.
If I choose the Toyota I need to stop for repairs.
Very tough one. :-\

:P
Good... tough choices is what it's all about!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 11:19:58 AM »
More variables are a good thing in my opinion.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 11:37:35 AM »
FYI, I am considering giving the Toyota a tiny bit of restrictor, to offset it most likely not having to pit. I'll need to do more testing. The Porsche and Audi definitely have to pit for fuel, whereas the Toyota can get away without pitting if you can last the distance on one set of tyres.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 11:42:41 AM »
FYI, I am considering giving the Toyota a tiny bit of restrictor, to offset it most likely not having to pit. I'll need to do more testing. The Porsche and Audi definitely have to pit for fuel, whereas the Toyota can get away without pitting if you can last the distance on one set of tyres.
There goes my strategy lol

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 01:17:27 PM »
I'm still only thinking about it :)
I don't want the Toyota to have a ridiculously unfair advantage by not having to pit. The only thing going against the Toyota is that it's probably the hardest of the three LMP1's to drive.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 01:33:43 PM »
Or...

Limit just the Toyota to only Soft tyres. You probably won't make it the whole distance, but you might be able to if you manage your tyres and put up with some tyre degradation.

Or...

Just suck it and see how it pans out, with the proviso that I may add a little bit of restrictor to the Toyota if it ends up having an unfair advantage.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 02:55:43 PM »
Mandatory pit might be what's needed for balance?

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 03:23:33 PM »
Had quick runs in all 3 LMP1 cars last night and actually find the Toyota is the best balance just twitchy in the rear on turn in. Should be able to tune that out for the quick direction changes. Not sure about forcing soft tyres though. Even the GT cars cook the L/H/R around Mugello pretty quick.

I think every car has strengths and weaknesses so it's a matter of enjoying the best of the cars and best dealing with or driving around the worst for whichever given track.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 04:12:02 PM »
When I say soft, that would be ONLY for the Toyota, via fixed setups. I may have to go back to mandatory pit stops for LMP1, just so no car gets an unfair advantage by not having to stop. The Toyota will still have an advantage in a stop due to not needing any fuel, and taking a quicker stop.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 05:03:11 PM by Wally »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 09:16:09 AM »
Righto, I think I'll mandate a CPS for tyres for both classes in the name of fairness.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 09:35:59 AM »
It's still track dependent.
From my minimal testing, the Porsche can do around 1h07m on a tank at Shanghai and Bahrain. :-\
But that changes according to your ERS settings as well.

So if you DO get the cars balanced that would be a miracle, given the amount of variables in this equation. 8)

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 10:00:51 AM »
It's still track dependent.
From my minimal testing, the Porsche can do around 1h07m on a tank at Shanghai and Bahrain. :-\
But that changes according to your ERS settings as well.

So if you DO get the cars balanced that would be a miracle, given the amount of variables in this equation. 8)
Yeah, I know all about the number of variables  :o
That's why fairest overall will be to simply mandate a pit stop.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal