Xtreme Gaming Network

Is Assetto multiplayer really ready?

Author Topic: Is Assetto multiplayer really ready?  (Read 12455 times)

Offline jestronix

• View Profile
Is Assetto multiplayer really ready?
« on: June 11, 2014, 08:04:35 PM »
Excluding my unexpected packet error (other people have had same issue yet no fix for it), I'm wondering if this season will be more about watching Assetto fix its bugs than racing, its still fun, but the dog frame rates really are an issue, some parts of the track it was more about predicting where I would be in future frames :) than racing.

I run two 7950s in crossfire on 3 screens with an i5 3570k with 24gb ram, if i setup a race and pack it maximum cars on the grid, i can play a silky smooth race with pretty good graphics quality and im seeing double frame rates when i used crossfire.  In multilayer mode is another world, I actually turn off crossfire for multiplayer, i seem to get smoother game play yet less frame rate if that makes sense, with crossfire its patches of silky smooth and then where the hell did that corner go, oh there it is. 

Whats killing frame rates? I think its all go to do with multiplayer coding, not the server its hosted on etc,  Has anyone checked CPU usage on multiplayer mode? I havent checked, but youd think my CPU would still be up to the job.

Contemplating grabbing an old harddrive and moving over to win7 for gaming, win8 just aint there yet.  anyone else running win8 and Assetto ?

Ive followed a few guides on setting up crossfire somethings helped, but multilayer kicks its ass.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Is Assetto multiplayer really ready?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 08:27:46 PM »
I have triples, an nVidia 780 and an i5-4690, 8 GB RAM, and the game was running well for me, with about 70FPS in the pits, with no weird FPS drops. The gameplay was smooth. There was a little jitter in some cars, probably ping related - other cars were rock solid.

But bear in mind that yes, AC is still in development, and the multiplayer code is still alpha. I'm sure there's still a lot of work for Kunos to do.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 10:12:23 PM »
Yeah it's very early to say, but it seems to me the performance has dropped a bit with the last update.

I used to run at around 100-120 fps, with drops to 80 or so.  Now it went down to 50 and I had to reduce the faces per frame setting to 1 to claw back to 80-ish with drops to 60.  Could be that they borked up the SLI again, LOL.

Here's what I'm running:

ASUS p8z77-V Deluxe, Intel i5-3570k, Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB, Sound Blaster recon3D
2x GXT670 (Gigabyte), 3x24" Dell @ 5760x1200
SilverStone Fortress FT02B-W, Antec 850W Signature

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 10:19:59 PM »
 its not ready yet that's for sure,i can just run the game at the moment,but I cant see much,those sun glares  from the asphalt are killing me....ya..kind of disappointment but I can put up with.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 11:31:51 PM »
Turn off the stupid HDR, Simone, that'll solve your glare issue.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 11:45:03 PM »
its not ready yet that's for sure,i can just run the game at the moment,but I cant see much,those sun glares  from the asphalt are killing me....ya..kind of disappointment but I can put up with.
You can also press Pg Down on track to lower the exposure.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 08:19:14 AM »
thx for the great tips guys!!!    :P

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 08:45:54 AM »
For me its been good though I had issues last race but seems all due to my end having some issues and the power supply was dying. One thing I noticed since the last update is it is sometimes losing focus but there is nothing really running in the background other then teamspeak when I race and dashmeter pro. Quite likely this was also psu running out of grunt and throttling all hardware when too much load was needed t9 the worst case of a complete system crash  Temps wise everything was perfect well under regular temps but I noticed voltage being quite unstable jumping around like its never done before as I pretty much monitor everything to make sure its all running fine.

I had some issues with psu making some random odd sounds but only once every hour or 2, I have bought a new one that can easily handle my system where the old one I had for a while and was working it close to its limits in a watercooled sli titan and i7 setup.

In terms of mp itself there are things that realy need to get added to make it where we want it such as forcing settings and conditions for all users. Still Im loving the physics and the netcode is already oretty decent for close door to door racing. Id rather race mp in its WIP state then most other sims simply due to the driving feeling. I ran some laps in the dtm late last nite and this car is amazingly fun even after the tyres are toasted.

Also for lowere end systems I think using a lower lod for cars in pits or even hiding them in the garage while not on track would help avoid slowdowns for people as they get near the pitlane full of parked cars.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
I have a 4 year old PC, quad core Q6600 2.4ghz. Graphics is a bit newer. A single GTX660Ti. and as much ram as I can shove in there. (I think it's 16gig of DDR 2) Win7 64bit. I've got a a few SSD's (I'm in the "makes no difference to games" category.)
  I can run the game with full pretty's turned up except HDR cause it's crap. with maybe 10 AI cars before I get the CPU<95% flash up and drop frames. I cap my FR to 60fps. Single screen.. Can't remember my resolution off hand.

In multi-player I turn everything down. No real drama's. only on the starting grid or if I alt-tab or click on my second screen I'll lose frames. There seems to be big issues with X-fire and SLI rigs. And very little support.

My Issues are with user-friendliness.
Setting up a multi-player server seems like you need 1/2 an IT degree to get it working properly.
Having to install other teams skins into local folders is not user friendly. Most people after a while just wont be bothered. Many people won't know how to.
I love how they have given us a lot of power to change the user interface and all kinds of adjustments. It just lacks a user friendly interface to carry out those changes.

I also notice when a track has just loaded and the car comes into view I see the wheels touch down, as if the car was coming down slowly off a jack. I see it happen on the grid too in a quick race. You guys notice that?

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 04:26:02 PM »
Here's a spanner, show me the works so I can throw it in. :o

Tuesday I had better performance than all the other online tests.
The caveat is I changed my headset, as that was playing up, so whether or not that effected the game before, I'm not sure.
If not, it's running better than ever online......

Now for the stupid question,
How do you guys get your frame rate?
I think I've looked through all the apps and all I could find was "framerate" (which is just a line, no numbers) or another "performance" app where I assumed the F: number was the framerate (but something's whack if it is, it doesn't seem to corelate with what I'm seeing).
I'd like to know what I'm getting as it seems to be close to the limit. :-\

2+2=√16

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 04:58:19 PM »

Now for the stupid question,
How do you guys get your frame rate?
I think I've looked through all the apps and all I could find was "framerate" (which is just a line, no numbers) or another "performance" app where I assumed the F: number was the framerate (but something's whack if it is, it doesn't seem to corelate with what I'm seeing).
I'd like to know what I'm getting as it seems to be close to the limit. :-\

There is the ingame app, but I use MSI afterburner with its inbuilt OSD to give me all the info I need to now about fps, temps and loads as in this video top left corner.

[youtube]jRptWncgjYY[/youtube]

You can customize it to show just about anything you want, this video is captured while working on the AI for Nords snoopy version. With Shadowplay capturing and the AI app and lines in use all at 4k ;) it reduces the fps and also GPU loads so its quite a bit lower here then normal but shows you all the info you can see. This makes it very handy to tune game settings and also see how your hardware is handling everything, if there is a slowdown I can quite easily tell whats causing it.

For those that dont know about MSI afterburner its a free program you can use to OC your GPU and also monitor everything even if running at stock speeds to see if your hitting temp or mem limits at any point.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 08:24:15 PM »
Hey Marty how did you turn the car's rev. mirrors off but keep the virtual mirror?  This is exactly what I want to do as I can only see half of the cars mirrors in the FOV I use.

To the topic, I get a fairly dramatic reduction in frames when joining a server, but all is fine when hot-lapping or vs AI.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 09:47:59 AM »
Guybrush thats just a bug with some cars internal mirrors not working properly.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 03:16:33 PM »
Guybrush thats just a bug with some cars internal mirrors not working properly.

I keep getting a bug where my whole car isn't working properly. Keeps losing control and spinning out!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal