Xtreme Gaming Network

S5R4: Lotus 98T at Imola - Post Race

Author Topic: S5R4: Lotus 98T at Imola - Post Race  (Read 12954 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S5R4: Lotus 98T at Imola - Post Race
« on: February 10, 2015, 10:44:58 PM »
Race Results
Season Standings

Round Points
StanDaam    189
M8R    189
Marty    188
Perch    181
Guybrush Threepwood    174
Rob    147
Krahl    135
Wally    126
Matthew111    126
Bacchulum    123
Grubbet    114
Freezer    114
G0RGAK    111
Ysu    102
Vipergod    95
Imperious    88
Simone    87
Dave O    34
Bafs17    28

Congratulations to Stan and M8R on the tie for the round win, and to Guybrush and Perch for the race wins.

Season Podium
1. Guybrush, 630
2. StanDaam, 605
3. Marty, 572
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: S5R4: Lotus 98T at Imola - Post Race
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 11:11:13 PM »
Qualified mid pack for R1 and after a decent start I grabbed a spot or two and set about keeping it on the track which I was mostly able to do. The later part I was mostly on my own and got home 9th.
R2 qual was terrible so I started second last.  Flag dropped and I had about 5 spots before coming across the accident which I couldn't avoid and gained some front and rear damage.  Unfortunately with a wobbly car I spun a lap or two later and was collect by someone (my fault) and the car was trashed.  Escaped out to the pits and continued on a lap down.  Had some decent runs with various people for the remainder.  With a quick stop for fuel only and others falling of I ended up getting home 11th.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 07:55:08 AM »
That was hard work, and I can't say I really enjoyed it. I spent a lot of the time just hotlapping, hoping my gearbox would last, never really racing anyone except for a brief battle with G0rgak. I just left my turbo on 70%, too worried about doing a Simone and destroying engines, and not wanting to look down to fiddle with the keyboard, which probably cost me some pace.

I nearly avoided the race 2 start accident, but got lightly clipped by a ricocheting car, enough to spin me around, taking some time to turn around again, so it cost me lots of spots, but no damage luckily.

In race 1, I got my rear wheel on the kerb at the top of the track and oversteered off to the left. Slipped on the grass and bounced off the wall back onto the track, a sitting duck. Luckily I only copped a bent front wing which didn't really seem to affect the handling.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 07:58:24 AM »
Escaped out to the pits and continued on a lap down.

I'm pretty sure there's still the bug where if you ESC back to the pits and your box is after the start line, you'll go a lap up, so it's still best to avoid escaping back to the pits.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 09:13:43 AM »
This car is mad. Really Mad, crazy....
I was absolutely crap driving it.  It would require far more praccy to be up to scratch (I had an hour or so praccy before the race).  I was spinning, wobbling, crashing everywhere. But it was fun. :)

In the 2nd race I had a big crash trying to avoid a spun Matthew across the road - I've tried to follow the car in front to the right, even on the grass, but Matt has inched forward in the meantime.   It was a split-second decision and a wrong one.  Car was totalled. 

"Chit happens" :)

TBH I don't think these cars are well suited for our semi-casual league.  While fun, they require too much from the driver, there are too many variables driving them.  If at least you could map the boost up/boost down to some buttons! 

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 10:10:27 AM »
Actually I had put some practice in it and I was not that slow and once I got a pace and rhythm being confident came naturally,i did enjoy lapping at imola.I used to go to Imola in the late 70s every year to watch the motorbikes, then the Japanese 2 strokes bikes were just taking over the 4 strokes and I am proud to have watch Giacomo Agostini with the legendary MV Agusta in his last race....then my idol Barry sheene with the suzuky n7,Kenny Roberts with the Yamaha,,,,and,,,,my man.....the ozzie Greg Hansford with the green Kawasaki infact he used to exit the Tosa corner and doing one wheel until the fourth gear to disappear approaching Piratella,,,every lap...RIP Greg.

Unfortunately I cant drive this beast simply put,,,i am too rough!!!  Managing the boost is important and you cant use it 100% all the time,i have to say though that in the second race I was more conservative,i did use it for the first 4 laps and then only in the straight  and it was so fun to reach the numbe "0" on the keyboard and to hear the engine screaming,,,heheheehehhe...but then I only heard"silence".....

Great fun guys,i loved it,and hopefully AC will mature and our race  group with it

First start was terrific thx guys...not the second :'(
Cant wait for the next AC update

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 10:48:55 AM »
Race 1 was nice.  Got away cleanly and built a gap.  Was lapping Daveo and got a little clip which damaged my front wing, but apart from that it was fairly straight forward, just trying to play it safe.

Race 2 was a lot more exciting!  I landed on the grid without tyre warmers for some reason and thought it was going to be interesting.  Together with the graining "bug" and the lower track grip I was a sitting duck.  Just getting away with dead cold tyres and 185 litres of fuel bought my tyres up to 50% graining, and then in the second phase of the start I got spit into the wall like I was driving on ice.  Not sure what the track grip started on but it probably didn't help.  Anyway, after pin-balling off other cars I ended up facing backwards with broken everything.  I limped back to the pits and sat there for around 40 - 50 seconds while it got fixed up.  I went back out after being lapped by just about everyone and started the process of un-lapping myself when I came out of the first chicane and a car was coming across the track which I had to go straight onto the grass and just missed it, but put me behind everyone again.  I also clipped Simone going into Acque Minerali - sorry Simone, I did allow for you braking before the right kink but not that much!  Anyway, I also came around Piratella to find someone parked in the middle of the track who I ran straight into.  As a result of my damage I spun a couple of times going through some of the corners, but got used to it after a bit.

So a carnage-filled start, 2 pit-stops, a long wait getting everything fixed, broken bits and pieces everywhere and multiple incidents later I managed to emerge in 7th (I think).

It was fun coming through the pack though.  I just hope next time my mechanics remember to put tyre warmers on my cars tyres!  Next time if it happens I'll just pull over to the side, otherwise everyone will run into the back of me if I try to start properly and limit the graining.

Are we able to escape back to the pits if we sustain damage Wally?  It would have been much better for me to do this after the carnage at the start and get it automatically fixed, but I just presumed this wouldn't have been an option.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 10:51:31 AM »
erm...sorry, how do you know your graining level?

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 12:04:28 PM »

I'm pretty sure there's still the bug where if you ESC back to the pits and your box is after the start line, you'll go a lap up, so it's still best to avoid escaping back to the pits.
Just on that, I had big damage, Esc to pits and was pretty much instantly ready to drive out repaired.  Sure I lost a lap in the process but no repair time..

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 12:37:26 PM »
I don't even know how to tell my crew to use tire warmers...

I agree with Bird and others, this car is very tricky to drive... So I was pretty wrapped to get a 6th and a 2nd out of this beasty!!
Race 1 was pretty good, best dicing was with Freezer for a few laps mid race.
Race 2 was funny at the start. Krahl and I kind of crawled out from the smoke and carnage in a shell shocked state, brushed ourselves down, checked our gear, and took off. As usual, I forgot to tweak the pesky turbo boost at the start, so it was on 20 and Krahl got round me. I don't think we were separated by more than 5 secs for just about the whole race. Was good to see someone else who left the boost on 70 and we were very evenly matched. Top race with Marty catching us both at the end, another lap and he would have taken my precious silver medal away... but it was not to be  ;D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 12:43:41 PM »

Just on that, I had big damage, Esc to pits and was pretty much instantly ready to drive out repaired.  Sure I lost a lap in the process but no repair time..

See, that's unfair on people who spend time waiting for repairs after pitting properly. Combined with the bug that can put you a lap UP after pressing etc,  I'll have to reiterate the ban on pressing esc.  If your car's that wrecked, it's terminal, and race over.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 12:44:58 PM »

Car physics app,  on track.

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 01:40:58 PM »
Very sorry I missed the race - I thought it was Wednesday and was online racing on Marty's server.

won't happen again   :-\

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 01:57:47 PM »

Car physics app,  on track.

Yep,  it's also handy to know how much engine life you have left using the ELIFE parameter.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 02:04:17 PM »

See, that's unfair on people who spend time waiting for repairs after pitting properly. Combined with the bug that can put you a lap UP after pressing etc,  I'll have to reiterate the ban on pressing esc.  If your car's that wrecked, it's terminal, and race over.
Actually I totally forgot about the ESC ban.  I just pressed it as I couldn't move the damaged car.  Then knowing I was way out of contention I decided to push on for some fun.  Happy for you to remove my results though..!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal