Xtreme Gaming Network

Voluntary contribution to Tuesday night server costs

Author Topic: Voluntary contribution to Tuesday night server costs  (Read 67622 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Voluntary contribution to Tuesday night server costs
« on: April 12, 2015, 05:57:52 PM »
The Tuesday AC server costs me around about $15/month (it fluctuates with usage and exchange rates). I am giving you the opportunity to make VOLUNTARY donations to the server costs, via a GoFundMe donation using the link below.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/xgn-server-costs

It's entirely voluntary  - there is no pressure on anyone to donate or not. And there's no truth to the rumour that the more you pay, the more points you get on the ladder.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 01:45:11 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
Re: Voluntary contribution to server costs
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 06:50:47 PM »
So how do we donate?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 07:32:50 PM »
Actually the XGN site & domain costs a bit of money, too, not much, about $100/year if I'm correct.  It's out of Brit's pocket.
We had an old paypal account (Brit set it up) to gather all donations - we could use that again, and share any money in to bear the costs.

If we're keen, we could bump the server onto Amazon - I'll do the work free - but that means a bit more extra cost again, so we'd probably have to bring the hat around occasionally.  The server can cost about $8/mo computing only + traffic + storage (altho those are tiny) with one-year up front full payment. 

On the plus side; reliability & accessibility would rise greatly.

But I'm really wondering if people are keen or not.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 07:40:06 PM »
So how do we donate?

If you have a PayPal account, you can send money to my email address at gmail, from within PayPal.

Here are PayPal's instructions:
https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ1684&m=HTQ
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 07:42:12 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 10:21:05 AM »
So just to make sure I don't send a million dollars to someone else, your Paypal email is mastersonwally (at)

.com.au?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 12:46:03 PM by Wally »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 11:13:24 AM »
So just to make sure I don't send a million dollars to someone else, your Paypal email is ---?

I can give you the account on master Wally's behalf, my server costs are $1000 a day so anyone willing to cover that will be exempt from the banlists for as many days as you fund the operation for.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 12:38:33 PM by Bird »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Voluntary contribution to server costs
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 11:21:29 AM »
Perhaps you should delete the email address so Wally doesn't get spammed by every bot in the interverse?

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 11:50:38 AM »
Perhaps you should delete the email address so Wally doesn't get spammed by every bot in the interverse?

Fixed, hopefully enough.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 12:45:14 PM »
No au.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 03:44:50 PM »
Actually the XGN site & domain costs a bit of money, too, not much, about $100/year if I'm correct.  It's out of Brit's pocket.
We had an old paypal account (Brit set it up) to gather all donations - we could use that again, and share any money in to bear the costs.

If we're keen, we could bump the server onto Amazon - I'll do the work free - but that means a bit more extra cost again, so we'd probably have to bring the hat around occasionally.  The server can cost about $8/mo computing only + traffic + storage (altho those are tiny) with one-year up front full payment. 

On the plus side; reliability & accessibility would rise greatly.

But I'm really wondering if people are keen or not.
If such an upgrade is deemed worthwhile I think the cost is very reasonable split between the amount of people racing here . .

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 03:59:30 PM »
So is what you are saying Bird that the league would have it's own website instead of piggy-backing off XGN?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
So is what you are saying Bird that the league would have it's own website instead of piggy-backing off XGN?

We're not piggy-backing; we're part of XGN.  So the forum stays as it is.

What I'm saying is that we could host it - and other stuff, like the ts3 install I still haven't fully registered on a tiny amazon instance. They're perfect for a low traffic site and a few other not-too-intensive things.

eg I've chucked the old gt legends site up there for testing - and there's a ts3 server I'm going to properly configure at some point...heh.
http://ts3.xgn.com.au/

But the forums are still here.  It's a free software so we could put it onto there no problems.

The benefit would be increased reliability.  I'm not sure if you guys are noticing it, I certainly do; too often there's some problem, either the database server is down or some other mishap preventing us using the forums.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:24:05 PM by Bird »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 09:23:02 PM »
I've certainly seen often errors about server errors, database unavailable and what not.

Offline PC49NZ

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 06:23:24 PM »
Ok, so to sum up where to we send a donation to?
Jim.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 06:46:11 PM »
Ok, so to sum up where to we send a donation to?
Jim.

Via PayPal to masterson wally (no space) at Google's email. That's my anti spam measure ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal