Xtreme Gaming Network

My track day vids

Author Topic: My track day vids  (Read 39915 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
My track day vids
« on: June 23, 2016, 01:52:39 PM »
In case anyone interested...

Here's my very first lap, ever :)

And the fastest lap:

Sadly the throttle & rpm data are somewhat off.

I did a bit of write-up and discussion ongoing on the ARSE forums, if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:06:38 PM by Bird »

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
Re: My track day vids
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 02:16:07 PM »
nice driving Istvan, what app were you using and what track was that?

Just read your writeup, great report.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:19:08 PM by Bruce »
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 02:28:36 PM »
It's Harry's Laptimer and at Wakefield Park.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 06:15:55 PM »
Damp and slippy, huh? Looks you had fun. 48 laps!
That's a great video overlay too. Did you buy your own camera, and dies it include that overlay? Or dies the track provide it?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 07:46:09 PM »
That's a great video overlay too. Did you buy your own camera, and dies it include that overlay? Or dies the track provide it?
It's an app that connects also to an obd2 sensor via bluetooth and records everything on the phone.
It was more than damp early on. Drizzle and icy winds at 7 degrees...but it was highly educational ;)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 09:11:21 PM »
Awesome vids Bird.  Keep 'em coming.

Were there any other GT86ers there?  What were the times in comparison?  How did it feel compared to AC?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 09:38:35 PM »
It's an app that connects also to an obd2 sensor via bluetooth and records everything on the phone.
It was more than damp early on. Drizzle and icy winds at 7 degrees...but it was highly educational ;)
What's on obd2 sensor? This thing: https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS
What does that record - speed and what else? What camera did you use?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 08:24:53 AM »
Awesome vids Bird.  Keep 'em coming.

Were there any other GT86ers there?  What were the times in comparison?  How did it feel compared to AC?

No other GTs on the track, but I've met Chris Reeves, who is racing 86's and won in the 86, too. Owns five of them, hehe.  He was one of the instructors on the day - and got plenty of good advice on how and what to do, with the car.  Very nice chap!   

Other lap times

How did it feel compared?   Well, as I wrote on the ARSE forum, it's much harder to drive to the limit, much harder to keep aware of everything, it feels fast, and unbelievably grippy in the corners.  But at the same time, it's easier to feel what's happening. 

I'd say it's well represented in AC, but it's still so different.    Honestly, it's chalk & cheese.

If any of you guys are in NSW, the TrackSchool guys - the organisers - have track days with hire cars of all sorts; do yourself a favour and try it.   

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 08:28:37 AM »
Take those times with a pinch of salt; the top cars were heavily race prepped.  Even the lower categories were usually really loud - a good indication of aftermarket exhausts, and using sticky tyres.

Here's a representation of the top;
The car on the left here, the porsche, was not timed (they did not put on the timing gizmo).  Now that car has smoked the corvette (top on the list) like it was standing still.  Blisteringly fast.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:33:50 AM by Bird »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 08:32:45 AM »
What's on obd2 sensor? This thing: https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS
What does that record - speed and what else? What camera did you use?
Yes, thats the sort.  I'm using the "OBDLink LX Bluetooth" as it was recommended.  It connects to the cars obd2 port and records all kinds of engine data.  You can fully diagnose the engine with it.  (rpm, oil & air temps, Maf, you name it it's all there.  Including error codes.)

The camera was simply the phone.  Also the accelerometer & the gps are the phone's.  You can use outside sources, but not necessary.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 09:45:10 AM »
That's pretty cool and simple.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 09:48:10 AM »
Remember when I did the higher track grip experiment? I think you can understand now the feeling I was trying to capture in-game.  You can't just smash through the limit so easily, and real life feels massively grippier than the game.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 11:02:53 AM »
Yeah, I know what you mean. :)

But I reckon a lot is missing, especially the full peripheral vision. 
The lack of feeling of speed is crazy, looking at these videos or playing in-game - 160 feels sluggish.  Well, it's not, when you're approaching T1 :D

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 05:12:08 PM »
The lack of "real" peripheral vision was what I eventually realised was lacking in the VR headsets. It's amazing how much you can see beside you without turning your head or even consiously moving your eyes.

How much of your sim driving experience carried over to the real world?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 11:40:55 PM »
The lack of "real" peripheral vision was what I eventually realised was lacking in the VR headsets. It's amazing how much you can see beside you without turning your head or even consiously moving your eyes.

How much of your sim driving experience carried over to the real world?

Hard to tell but one comment from the instructor who sat in with me for the 2nd stint:
"Very good lines. Have you done this before? Most rookies tend to turn in early, but you are nice and late"

However my braking was bad. I was too soft on the pedals, you need to jump on it like an animal to start with. I blame the sim pedals; they need no force, but finesse :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal