Xtreme Gaming Network

AC News

Author Topic: AC News  (Read 763485 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: AC News
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2014, 10:24:19 PM »
From Twitter. Some promising netcode improvements.
"@KunosStefano: Good results from the first Cockroach Powered netcode test.. I was able to drive with the guys from PH with 380ms of ping.. very smooth..."
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2014, 11:04:07 PM »
Great.  I also saw on the AC forums that they are doing away with the booking stuff.  I think they were talking about that being included in the next update as well.

Offline Grubbet

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2014, 03:56:58 PM »
From Twitter. Some promising netcode improvements.
"@KunosStefano: Good results from the first Cockroach Powered netcode test.. I was able to drive with the guys from PH with 380ms of ping.. very smooth..."

Awesome!

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2014, 05:33:03 PM »
If you ever want to see the latest posts by stefano just follow this link, no need to be a twit yourself to read his tweats but generally there is a bit there.

https://twitter.com/KunosStefano/with_replies

@KunosStefano Hi - what goodies you got planned for next release. The world is waiting...

Stefano Casillo ‏@KunosStefano

@Chris1603 it's a very big list this time... it should be a good update.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2014, 08:18:30 AM »
Hmmm... In the Twitter chatter, they say the netcode will be smoother, but will require more bandwidth, so the number of cars you can host might reduce if your upload band is insufficient. We'll have to see how it pans out with our large grids. They are still looking at ways to improve this bandwidth usage.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2014, 10:10:37 AM »
Does the Amazon hosting have symmetrical bandwidth?

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2014, 11:30:22 AM »
So my 80 kb/s up-width(TM) isn't going to be able to host AC?

I'd be happy with the sacrifice of fewer and larger servers for being able to play against people overseas regularly.

It might mean league races split into two groups and having 2 mods (one in each group)?  See how it goes I guess.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2014, 11:33:57 AM »
So my 80 kb/s up-width(TM) isn't going to be able to host AC?

I'd be happy with the sacrifice of fewer and larger servers for being able to play against people overseas regularly.

It might mean league races split into two groups and having 2 mods (one in each group)?  See how it goes I guess.

According to the Australia government, and our leader, Rupert. Australia doesn't need any faster internets. so think yourself very fortunate Guybrush. I'm on 8bit dial up.

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2014, 11:39:43 AM »
Well according to the ad, Slovakia and Romania has faster internet than us.  So Rupert is wrong.  But he has a funny first name which makes up for it in some ways.

Offline insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2014, 01:53:09 PM »
If they can get CPU usage down that's the major killer at the moment. More bandwidth shouldn't be a problem for most servers, you can always upgrade the port speed but then you might chew through your quota quicker....

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2014, 03:21:18 PM »
It's actually not that bad on either cpu or bandwidth; you just need a server, not some shitbox, to run it.
But less resources used = potentially larger fields.  And that'd be good :)

And yes, amazon ec2 servers have symmetrical bandwidth.  Actually, servers nearly always have just a bandwidth, it's the ADSL and now other consumer (home) connections that have this difference in up/down bandwidth.   ADSL is by definition like that, the rest maybe to restrict your ability to p2p and host servers...I'm not sure what the drive behind this could be. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:23:57 PM by Bird »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2014, 03:37:39 PM »
It's actually not that bad on either cpu or bandwidth; you just need a server, not some shitbox, to run it.
But less resources used = potentially larger fields.  And that'd be good :)

And yes, amazon ec2 servers have symmetrical bandwidth.  Actually, servers nearly always have just a bandwidth, it's the ADSL and now other consumer (home) connections that have this difference in up/down bandwidth.   ADSL is by definition like that, the rest maybe to restrict your ability to p2p and host servers...I'm not sure what the drive behind this could be.
Cable is a shared bw model so uploads are limited same as ADSL. I get 1.8mb/s upload and 100mb/s download on HFC cable. NBN would have potentially been symmetrical with FTP but not anymore.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2014, 03:46:57 PM »
I heard the new NBN v2 included recycling dial up modems, cant wait til I get hooked up to one of those agan.  ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2014, 04:47:43 PM »
If NBN FTN is installed, there would be nothing stopping a future government from then installing FTP afterwards right?
That is what I'm holding out for.  But even NBN FTN would be great at the moment.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2014, 06:47:20 PM »
It's a possibility, but they'd probably have to replace the FTTN-installed junction boxes.  The sad thing is this mixed-shambles solution seems to come slower and more expensively already, not to mention the running costs, overheads, etc...

The Abbott government is a bunch of lucky idiots. There I said it. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal