Xtreme Gaming Network

AC News

Author Topic: AC News  (Read 763570 times)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Re: AC News
« Reply #1215 on: October 26, 2016, 11:27:00 PM »
was apparently a route issue to their DC
Was their DC running a census?

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: October 27, 2016, 09:35:18 PM »
Is it just me or are most of the Porsche's boring to drive? Apart from the LeMans looking thing, the Moby dick and the 918, they seemed a little ho-hum to me...  Maybe I'm just getting irritable in my old age.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: October 27, 2016, 09:40:09 PM »
Is it just me or are most of the Porsche's boring to drive? Apart from the LeMans looking thing, the Moby dick and the 918, they seemed a little ho-hum to me...  Maybe I'm just getting irritable in my old age.
try the carrera at magione...

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: October 27, 2016, 09:47:28 PM »
I don't know what you mean. ???
Apart from the "LeMons looking thing" (I presume is the 917/30 Can-Am Spyder), I haven't driven any of them. :P

2+2=√16

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: October 27, 2016, 10:07:48 PM »
I have only tried a few of them---mainly the older ones. I agree they are not "fun" to drive. But they seem to have some peculiar trait that might make for a challenge to drive them right (mainly the two downforcey cars) or for very clean drives that might be good for racing (the old race 911-shaped car). But yeah... not very fun or particularly lively...

PS: you're getting a Turing test before next race ;)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: October 27, 2016, 10:11:20 PM »
"Not very lively"? :o
1400bhp on 1973 crossply tyres?
I don't believe you've tried them all. ;) 8)

2+2=√16

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: October 27, 2016, 10:41:09 PM »
As I said: yes. I did not try them all---nor I tried any of them much. By "not very lively" I was not referring to their ability to throw you against any available wall at corner exit. On the opposite, I was referring to their unwillingness to turn in and comply to your desire for a fast change of direction. So... yes,... they change direction very fast when you do not wish them to. But they kind of don't want to do it when you don't. BUT!!! being racecars I imagine it is also a matter of setup and driving style, so I might be very wrong.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: October 27, 2016, 11:58:41 PM »
Just downloaded and had a quick drive of each.
For me they are pretty good and true to life ( or what I would expect)
The RSR is my pick, being old school, pretty balanced but that typical porsche pendulum effect.
The 917/30 is ridiculously fast but doesn't turn so well (as you may expect from the era ).
918 - typically efficient, fast modern hyper car that would probably run well against some of the Ferrari's.
Also liked the whale tale.  Fast.  But more controllable than the 917.

Re the unwillingness to turn, I personally think that's a common thread in most AC cars that you always need to tune up via setups!

NOTE:  If you buy via AC web site there is the option to purchase all 3 Packs (in advance) for $15 US, so basically getting one free.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: October 28, 2016, 01:01:22 AM »
As I said: yes. I did not try them all---nor I tried any of them much. By "not very lively" I was not referring to their ability to throw you against any available wall at corner exit. On the opposite, I was referring to their unwillingness to turn in and comply to your desire for a fast change of direction. So... yes,... they change direction very fast when you do not wish them to. But they kind of don't want to do it when you don't. BUT!!! being racecars I imagine it is also a matter of setup and driving style, so I might be very wrong.

Ive given them all a good run mostly at Nords my favourite test track, I cant say any of them are boring. You cant expect any of them to handle like modern GT or open wheel cars. The only real modern race car is the carrera GT4 and this is underpowered and over tyred but not to the same extent as the MX5 cup car. The others are either road cars 911 carrera s and 718 cayman s. The 918 is just a nuts hypercar and its way more lively then the p1 and laferrari but seems pretty close between the 3 of them.

The 911 RSR is a proper old school race car and I think an awesome car, the Moby Dick is a very old fairly crazy at 100% boost race car with not much grip. The 917 spyder is pretty mental at full boost and around nords is a proper handful, both it and Moby arent exactly perfect cars for Nords but its fun to get such a car around that place.

Personally I think this is the best pack so far, though for f1 fans the redpack may be more their thing. Drive any of them around the ring and if you think they are boring then Id like to know what sort of cars youd prefer. If its OW then its no surprise as non of these are high aero cars or extremely light. I have only ever driven an old 911 turbo and this was on the streets so cant exactly compare to any Porsche on track but the cars all have their own character and are very solid inclusions to the game.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: October 28, 2016, 06:17:56 AM »
You could skate around Nords and get a thrill.   Doing 10 laps in the 911 Carrera S around somewhere like Spa and it's a bit of a grind.

I just find that the newer Porsche road cars lack personality.   Probably to be expected - my old man had a Porsche Boxter S and I always felt that was very bland to drive.   I just think Porsche make theirs cars very "safe" these days - underpowered with loads of rear grip.  Even compared to the Beamers they feel a bit docile to me.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: October 28, 2016, 07:48:25 AM »
The 911 and the 7xx (718?) are pretty bland, but a bit more fun if you can get them out sideways a bit with the TC off. The 918 was fun too, very fast and balanced. There's a lot of tech simulated in that car, so it might take a while to learn how to get the most out of it.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: October 28, 2016, 10:18:42 AM »
only problem I have is they are Porsche, i have no interest in Porsche and would never own one, The race ones look a bit more interesting.

They handle weird, I remember asking Jim Richards During a Targa Tassie what do Porsche feel like to drive and he said understeer, tons of understeer to prevent fish tailing due to rear engine weight
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: October 28, 2016, 10:39:18 AM »
That's why I'm only interested in the mid-engine Porsches. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: October 28, 2016, 10:48:09 AM »
Interesting, Phil.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: October 28, 2016, 11:45:09 AM »
I'm a massive Porsche fan boy. Have been ever since I saw the black 911s in the movie Condorman when I was a kid. Every time I see a black 911 the theme music from the movie starts playing in my head  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal