Xtreme Gaming Network

XGN Car Dealer is open for testing

Author Topic: XGN Car Dealer is open for testing  (Read 12351 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
XGN Car Dealer is open for testing
« on: December 31, 2018, 11:20:05 AM »
I want to do a little test season after the current one, to try out the idea of having to rent a car for the next round, depending on how much money you have in the bank. The higher a position you finish in, the less you earn, and the lower you finish, the more you earn, so that the slower drivers get a chance to buy faster cars and thus level the field. There is some strategy involved, because you might choose to rent a slower car than the fastest one you can afford, to build up some cash for future rounds.

In addition to what you earn from your race results, damaging your car reduces its value when you eventually return it to the car dealer. This is similar to the damage restrictor I introduced - little bumps with other cars don't cost you anything, but the harder you hit someone, the more it reduces the value of your car. Like the damage restrictor, both cars in an incident will have their value reduced. Only impacts with other cars cost you - you can hit the barriers as hard as you like!

At the end of each round, you can keep your car, or you can return it to the car dealer and rent a different one.

I have created a new web site: https://xgnsimracing.com.au which is where you sign up for the season and rent your car. When you sign up, you get a certain amount of funds in your bank account, and you get assigned the slowest car by default.

Your log on is your GUID. Your default password is the default XGN password. The first thing you should do is change your password, with the Change Password menu on the right hand side.

So for now, please log on, change your password, and have a play around, to see if there are any problems.
You can:
  • View season details
  • Rent different cars
  • Check your bank balance
Once we run a race (in a few week's time), I will upload the race results and you'll see winnings coming into your account.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 12:49:19 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: XGN Car Dealer is open for testing
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 05:39:26 PM »
All worked OK for me Wally  :) :).
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 06:53:32 PM »
All worked OK for me Wally  :) :) .
Great :)

Suggestions are welcome too.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 07:03:02 PM »
I found out you can't sell your car to double your worth. :'(
It won't let you be a pedestrian, even for a second. >:(

Nah, not a complaint, just testing the limits of the system, what loopholes I can find. ;) ;D 8)

2+2=√16

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 09:41:55 PM »
Not sure if I got this right.

Currently I have $60,400 in the bank and a Porsche 718 Boxter. I should be able to return the cheap beetle for $57,500 leaving me $117,900 to rent something else. Unfortunately the system does not want to allow it :(

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 11:09:15 PM »
Great!!!

Btw, Wally, you can get free signed ssl certs in a few places, I think this is it https://letsencrypt.org/ or https://www.sslforfree.com/ ( I haven't used them )

If all else fails, there's el-cheapo (but fully functional) certificates to be had here, $12/yr: https://www.namecheap.com/security/ssl-certificates/
I am regularly using these guys, the certificates are industry standard just without any warranties - and most importantly w/o company checks, so it's easy-peasy to get one.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 08:57:48 AM »
Not sure if I got this right.

Currently I have $60,400 in the bank and a Porsche 718 Boxter. I should be able to return the cheap beetle for $57,500 leaving me $117,900 to rent something else. Unfortunately the system does not want to allow it :(
In answer to you and Bacchulum, you always have a car. That way, no one accidentally gets left without a car at the start of a round. What you do (and maybe this isn't clear), is that if you click the Rent button, you sell your current car and then rent the new one, all in one transaction. I'll make this clearer and more intuitive.
I also see that Phil has managed to sign up multiple times. While that might improve his chances of winning, that's a bug :)
And thanks for the certificate tips Bird.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 09:42:41 AM »
That's the way I saw it Wally.
I was just testing if you could "cheat" the system and get a more expensive car. :P

2+2=√16

Offline ab156

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 09:43:37 AM »
I think what Mael is saying is that the way it is worded we have 117,900 in assets; 57,500 invested in the Boxster and 60,400 in cash.  What is actually happening in is you only have 60,400 of credit, free cash flow is only 2,900 to upgrade, the rest is tied up in the car.  This is how I see the rent button working (in Brave).

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 09:55:47 AM »
OK, I've updated the car dealer to make it more intuitive. Refresh your page and see what you think. Now you have less "cash", and you total assets are your cash + your car.

I also reset everyone's bank balance and car to the defaults again.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 06:08:25 PM »
The web site seems to be fairly broken in Internet Explorer  >:(

Stupid browser...

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 07:16:31 PM »
Hopefully I am the only moron using it
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 07:41:11 AM »
Best not to use Internet Explorer for the web site until I can fix a few issues. Other browsers are fine.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 09:36:15 PM »
Should be OK in IE now. Phil, if you could test cancelling your sign up and then signing up again, changing cars in the car dealer etc.

Offline bradc

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 11:56:03 AM »
dumb question....but what is a GUID and where would I find one?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal