Xtreme Gaming Network

The Grip Poll

Poll

Do you want to stick with 110% grip for the rest of the season?

Yes, loved it
2 (12.5%)
Don't care either way
2 (12.5%)
No, hated it
12 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: The Grip Poll  (Read 16059 times)

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
Re: The Grip Poll
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 08:55:33 PM »
”Never before have I driven a mid-engined car that feels so well balanced, so comfortable, when its rear tyres are lit and you’ve got half an armful of corrective lock applied"

I find a lot of car reviewers judge a cars handling on its ability to slide and how it feels on that point which isnt really relavent to anyone unless your entering a drifting championship. The cars with the 110% grip dont slide around at all they just skip out suddenly, without the grip i could do those fun drifts the reviewers go nuts about all day lol
do you even motorsports?

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 09:06:13 PM »
I'd imagine that the lower the grip is the more manageable the slides are.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 08:42:49 AM »
I voted against even though i did not mind it,but as wally said the admin work it will be too much and plus yes, lets leave it the way it is i would feel like a group of "rebels" drifting apart  lol   ;D

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 09:05:01 AM »
Here is a little article on what it is really like to drive LaFerrari  . . . and they don't mention 'arcade like' once!!
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ferrari/laferrari

”Its responses may be massive, its grip vast and its performance envelope borderline insane, but it also feels surprisingly, well, normal in the way it drives.”

”Never before have I driven a mid-engined car that feels so well balanced, so comfortable, when its rear tyres are lit and you’ve got half an armful of corrective lock applied. In my head, in my world, you should not be able to drive a car like this, like that, but believe me; anyone who knows broadly what they are doing behind the wheel could do exactly the same thing in it after a while. And that’s purely because the car has been engineered to allow most people to be able to drive it hard, really hard, without scaring themselves.”

These kinds of feelings have never been captured by a sim - not just AC, any sim. You just end up spinning, sliding, understeering, oversteering. Maybe it's just impossible without G forces and a dash of equal parts of adrenalin and fear. These are the feelings I was trying to capture with increased grip.

I beg to differ, that's exactly how I felt with this car - read my earlier comments.  It feels like it's driving itself.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 04:23:34 PM »
The one thing I'm getting from all these comments is everyone's feel is totally different.
So trying to create that seems impossible, as what's good for one is wrong for another. ???

2+2=√16

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 05:19:45 PM »
I suggest Wally to try a street car say the 1M on street tyres at Nords low temps overcast, slow track and street tyres. This less grip setting isnt very slippery at all and simply makes you drive slower in the corners, reducing grip will make the cars feel more like on a real trackday I think rather then increasing it. With more grip you have to push much harder to find the cars limits and it gets quite snappy at the grip limits, reduce the grip and as long as you slow enough for the corners it feels very natural to me more so then optimum grip.

You can use the same setup with the p1, even at regular optimum grip and hypercar trofeo tyres the thing is just nuts, very tricky to get around the track as cornering speeds are so high and losing the rear a little is more likely to snap away from you. Now do the same with lower grip around 95% which I think slow setting is, lower temps and Hypercar road tyres the car is much more driveble around the track. Cornering speeds are much lower and its more controllable in a slide. The laptime difference is more then 30 seconds for me but pushing the real car around there on slick tyres would take much bigger balls then with the less grip.

Then only real issue you will have with less grip is if you dont allow for this on braking and go deep into the corners where you will have trouble, but slow enough for each entry and hit the apex I could run around multiple laps withing a second depending on tyre wear. The main thing I noticed when running the 1m around the ring with the more realistic setup as Aris said is after 5 laps the brakes were still fine. WIth laptimes around 8:20 and 40 minutes of fairly quick running in any street car I would already have gone to the pits as the brakes most likely would be well cooked.  ;) If Kunos ever simulates proper brake temps and fade then even more would hate the street cars when they realise 2 or 3 laps at Spa would pretty much cause brake fade in a good street car but some of the things people drive every day would be gone in 1 hotlap.

I remember losing the brakes on my old commodore at Sandown after only 2 laps, I could smell them burn early but pressed on and ended up in the sand at the end of t1 when it went to the floor and I needed to stop the car with gears only.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 05:23:44 PM »
The one thing I'm getting from all these comments is everyone's feel is totally different.
So trying to create that seems impossible, as what's good for one is wrong for another. ???

I agree with you big time,the amount of difference in our pc setup,the peripheral hardware etc etc makes impossible to find the"right" balance for everybody...so le it be guys!!   ;D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2015, 06:46:38 PM »
Here is a little article on what it is really like to drive LaFerrari  . . . and they don't mention 'arcade like' once!!
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ferrari/laferrari

”Its responses may be massive, its grip vast and its performance envelope borderline insane, but it also feels surprisingly, well, normal in the way it drives.”

”Never before have I driven a mid-engined car that feels so well balanced, so comfortable, when its rear tyres are lit and you’ve got half an armful of corrective lock applied. In my head, in my world, you should not be able to drive a car like this, like that, but believe me; anyone who knows broadly what they are doing behind the wheel could do exactly the same thing in it after a while. And that’s purely because the car has been engineered to allow most people to be able to drive it hard, really hard, without scaring themselves.”

These kinds of feelings have never been captured by a sim - not just AC, any sim. You just end up spinning, sliding, understeering, oversteering. Maybe it's just impossible without G forces and a dash of equal parts of adrenalin and fear. These are the feelings I was trying to capture with increased grip.

I beg to differ, that's exactly how I felt with this car - read my earlier comments.  It feels like it's driving itself.

So what you're saying is... the extra grip gave a real-life result :)
Agree!

I suggest Wally to try a street car say the 1M on street tyres at Nords low temps overcast, slow track and street tyres. This less grip setting isnt very slippery at all and simply makes you drive slower in the corners, reducing grip will make the cars feel more like on a real trackday I think rather then increasing it. With more grip you have to push much harder to find the cars limits and it gets quite snappy at the grip limits, reduce the grip and as long as you slow enough for the corners it feels very natural to me more so then optimum grip.
I'll be interested to try it.

The poll results are clear... we'll stick with the normal 95% -> 100% grip. Worth a try, now we move on.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2015, 07:37:22 PM »

So what you're saying is... the extra grip gave a real-life result :)
Sadly, no, this comment of mine I'm referring to is dating back to my first run in the car.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 05:33:42 PM »
I tried street tyres, slow track (which is 95% grip, which we're all used to), lower ambient temp etc. Yes, I had to enter a lot of corners much slower to avoid massive understeer, but it didn't really feel vastly different to me.

But what really made a difference for me was to lower the tyre audio volume. Mine was set at 1, so it sounded like I was sliding in every corner, which contributed to the overall perception of being slippery. I turned the tyre volume down to 0.7, and with hearing less tyre squeal, the overall perception is of more grip. I also turned the strength of my FFB up just a tad.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 07:54:05 PM »
What slip value do you run? Zero?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 10:53:23 PM »
Do you mean in the FFB settings? Not zero, some small value, from memory.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2015, 06:59:17 AM »

Do you mean in the FFB settings? Not zero, some small value, from memory.
Yes. In FFB settings. Wouldn't slip=0 remove the sliding feeling that AC adds?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal