Xtreme Gaming Network

Car dealer R1: Barcelona Moto

Author Topic: Car dealer R1: Barcelona Moto  (Read 20353 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Car dealer R1: Barcelona Moto
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 11:10:46 PM »
Results are in the first post. Congratulations to Bueller on the round win.

I'll look at the money for the car dealer tomorrow night.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 11:18:33 PM »
Bacchulum clipped Grat, but it looked like a fairly unavoidable, slow impact in a congested corner.
Agree. I could have left him half a meter more---it's just that corner-combination is quite difficult to navigate in two.

Instead: I may need to offer my apologies to RussG in mid-race 3. I thought he turned in early at T1, but on replay I think I just lost the rear a bit on braking and ended up moving a little to the left closing his space that tiny bit enough to cause us to touch. Sorry mate.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 08:18:30 AM »
Thanks guys, that was great, really tough to pass, had me sweating quite a bit. It's certainly good not having to worry about setting up the car and just drive. With only 4 rounds this is the last one I can attend, unfortunately due to work. I wonder if it were longer how it would go for me not being able to attend many events, I think I'd end up with a slow car while everyone else starts to upgrade throughout the season?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 08:21:10 AM »
I've really enjoyed driving the cockster, it seems a reasonably forgiving little car.  I was even able to catch bigger slides on a couple of occasions, much to my surprise as well as others'.
I've even managed to put in a mid 1:04 lap during the race!   

Had great battles, chases, and a lot of gentlemanly drivers around - thanks guys, it seems everyone was driving in their friendliest manner. :)

By r3 I've run out of puff, and after a couple of early spins I had a hard time keeping up.   But I've enjoyed the nine, nonetheless.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2019, 09:13:55 AM »
Thanks guys, that was great, really tough to pass, had me sweating quite a bit. It's certainly good not having to worry about setting up the car and just drive. With only 4 rounds this is the last one I can attend, unfortunately due to work. I wonder if it were longer how it would go for me not being able to attend many events, I think I'd end up with a slow car while everyone else starts to upgrade throughout the season?
The goal is not to have everyone slowly getting into faster and faster cars, but to have the slower drivers end up in faster cars. Hopefully the field should stay relatively balanced, as even after a break, I would still expect a few Carreras and so on on track.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 11:05:12 AM »
The goal is not to have everyone slowly getting into faster and faster cars, but to have the slower drivers end up in faster cars. Hopefully the field should stay relatively balanced, as even after a break, I would still expect a few Carreras and so on on track.

I feel, Wally, that this system will never truly even out, and it'll take long to get to a temporary balance.    The temporary point is where the slower guys are in the faster cars.   But then they'll top out, and the faster guys will catch up.   

Now, of course you can either make the process quicker by dishing out more cash, then it'll be like a wave, or slower, to try and peak it at the end; either way it'll have periods of imbalance.   And there's little auto-balancing during the season, once you got a good car, you keep it (again, accidentals notwithstanding).
I feel it has to be the slow method where you can only get into the fastest car if you finish down the order at least half the races or even more.  Otherwise the system can potentially be gamed a lot more due to the no-loss financials.

Just my 2c.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2019, 11:18:03 AM »
I think that's how it will work out, the way I've got it set up. You don't win wads of cash for coming last. You'll have to come last a few times before you really get into the expensive cars i.e. it's a slow and steady approach.

So to game the system you'd have to deliberately come last in a few rounds just to get the chance to win a round or two, but where's the fun in that?

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2019, 01:48:23 PM »
Enjoyed the two race before the solar batteries got a bit low!

Here is my 2cents. The difference in car speeds were too much. Not even GB would have been competitive in the boxter. I would suggest using the same car but in different states of tune (by modifying restrictor & ballast). For the cheapskates a backyard mechanic tune (100% restrictor & 100kg ballast) while the golden spoon drivers can get their car tuned by the  "AC Schnitzer" tuning house (or any-other ones goole suggest as the best tuning house).

Nice driving Bueller!

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2019, 02:04:19 PM »
Take note Wally, Bird and Mael have 2c less to spend on their next car. ;) :P

2+2=√16

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2019, 02:26:47 PM »
Enjoyed the two race before the solar batteries got a bit low!

Here is my 2cents. The difference in car speeds were too much. Not even GB would have been competitive in the boxter. I would suggest using the same car but in different states of tune (by modifying restrictor & ballast). For the cheapskates a backyard mechanic tune (100% restrictor & 100kg ballast) while the golden spoon drivers can get their car tuned by the  "AC Schnitzer" tuning house (or any-other ones goole suggest as the best tuning house).

Nice driving Bueller!
Mael, that's probably not the point.  The point is to mix the field up; i.e. make the really fast guys not-so-competitive for a race or two, then they can catch up.  Aliens will still prevail in the top region, just not the first position.
Once it's all tuned up, it should be fine I think (i.e. the monetary bits; prices & earnings).   
It gives non-aliens to win the odd race, basically.

That's one bit of a problem; in the olden days we took a few seasons to tune the car prices, and the car yard was the same each season (GTL times).

P.s. that was a tad different system in that you paid full price for the car and did not get anything back.  So the fluctuation in cars was great, you got a fast car, won, you went back to a slow car straight away. :)
It may still be the system to go for, as it kind of balances itself out to a large extent, you just need to 'tune' some car prices a bit that maybe too cheap or too expensive.

Take note Wally, Bird and Mael have 2c less to spend on their next car. ;) :P
Whaaaaaaat?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 02:30:05 PM by Bird »

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2019, 04:39:03 PM »
Guys---let's just think about what the possible aims are here.

I don't think the idea can be to even all things out perfectly. Hell, to make somebody in a 918 go as slow as another in a boxter you would need the first one to drive like a lunatic, and there would be no fun anyway that way.

I also don't think the idea can be to just create a weird system one may decide to game just to win a race with zero effort---i.e., last for 3/4 races, then win at half throttle in a 918.

The most we can achieve is to create a bit of extra spiciness in seasons that are less "pro" (e.g., street cars, mixed bags, and so one) and have some of us battling with drivers that normally sit in a different pack (which, indirectly, is a learning experience for both). In this sense, the experiment as it is sounds mostly fine as long as the season is short enough to avoid it being "gamed" and long enough to give a chance to those who choose to start in a slower car to maybe take a revenge in the last 2 races.

I also see it playing well when there are two cars mostly the same but one being a tuned version of the first---this would allow us to avoid large ballasts and restrictors, which are often annoying and unbalance the car too much. Yes, I know---if the difference is not big enough, then we would not "balance" things out perfectly. But really---I already know I can beat whoever if I have an F1 and he has a beetle. I don't need the experience. Instead, it could be fun to battle with a GB by just having those 30 or whatever extra hp or maybe trofeo tyres instead of standard semi-slick. Stuff like that can work and make sense with a money story---you get money, you pay for new tyres or extra tuning. This stuff can work well and add a little fun. My 2 cents. ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2019, 05:14:50 PM »
Grat's right - the goal is not to perfectly evenly balance the field, but to just give you some strategic choices as to what car you choose, and when, and to spice and mix things up a bit.
We've had one round. It's not designed to give any stupendous outcome after one round. You have to wait and see how a few rounds pan out, as drivers get more spread out in their car choices and bank balances. Don't over-think it too early - give it a chance and see how it pans out.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2019, 06:22:38 PM »
give it a chance and see how it pans out.
:-X
 ;)

2+2=√16

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2019, 06:30:23 PM »
It seems I'm going crazy...really thought I won the first race...and I thought I was on pole for race 2. Wally, you're sure that' right?
It was some fun racing with the boys happy to spend some money on a fast car  ;)
I haven't put any thought into this...just spent all the money I had (that will be my strategy going forward...easy), so I've got no idea how this may work out.
However, it was clear that some of the fast guys weren't really able to compensate for the lack of performance of their cars enough to mix up the field car-wise...at least I couldn't see it at the front end...all Carreras.
So it seems there will be smaller groups using the same car competing with each other... god knows who'll be on top at the end...most likely not me...haha.
Cheers

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2019, 06:35:49 PM »
...and I came in 2nd in race 3, not 3rd.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal