Xtreme Gaming Network

S6R3: Cobra Cup Eastern Creek Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S6R3: Cobra Cup Eastern Creek Post-Race Chat  (Read 5817 times)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
S6R3: Cobra Cup Eastern Creek Post-Race Chat
« on: August 20, 2015, 10:38:10 PM »
The Cobra was another stressful handful this week. Spa was better. Eastern Creek felt like a return to Hungaroring. Seems that the Kunos high resolution track mesh is needed to allow the Cobra to be controlled. Well done to Phil.8 for the round win! I think he knows how to drive the Cobra! He reckons the Cobra is like the Skip Barber (or is that Biber?) racer in iRacing so he feels right at home slipping and sliding around the track. Second went to Mister gawaterman with third to Grubbet. Well done guys on a difficult combo. Due to stress overload in Race 1 we changed to a Toyota for race 2 to go do some shopping. It was good fun though! I finally abandoned the h-shifter and managed to stay on track for the 5 whole race. Well done me!!

Results:
Qualifying
Race 1

Championship: Points Tally
1. Phil.8 95
2. gawaterman 89
3. Grubbet 83

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
Re: S6R3: Cobra Cup Eastern Creek Post-Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 08:19:52 AM »
Wow I'm still 6th!
Good choice on the abandoning the Cobra on that track. I have to put my hand up for failing to test the Cobra on the individual tracks.
New rule avoid non-ks tracks!
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 08:28:10 AM »
Sorry for not hanging around last night guys, but I have a sinus infection and my head was pounding.

A disappointing night for me as I was boasting earlier in the night that I thought I was finally coming to grips with the H-shifter, only to find out that in the heat of battle I still suck at it. And unfortunately it sucks the enjoyment out of AC.

I'm with Andrew on this one and will be changing back to the paddles.

Congrats to Phil, Gdub and Robert. Well done guys.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 10:07:51 AM »
Most of my problems last night were down to the h-shifter rather than the Cobra-Track combo. I tested the Cobra here and was able to do 1:46s and it was fun to drive - but not on race night.

It is really good to drive the h-shifter in the 'gentleman racer' manner but not in race mode if you want to try and keep up with the pack. I only made it to the first corner and missed a downshift, ending in the grass.

After next week's bye we have two rounds of Mazda Cup coming up and then back to Cobra Cup. Plenty of time to think about options. The tracks for the next two Cobra Cup rounds are really good - Singapore Nightime and Suzuka. However, they are F1 tracks and not really suited to the Cobra - too many bends and heavy braking zones. I won't be around for these rounds but perhaps a change of car would be good? Still part of the Cobra Cup season however? A modern easy to drive car like the BMW 235i might be a good stand-in.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 10:46:07 AM »
I wasn't around the first time you guys did a Cobra season so can't compare the car to back then, but personally I don't find it feels any different on the KS/mod tracks.

I qualified in 3rd, lost a spot to Grubbet at the start then got it back a lap later when he spun. I then held position for 8 laps, only to look down to see what lap I was on and think to myself 'hey, I'm doing alright, I may even get a podium here', and at that point of taking my concentration away from my driving I clipped the curb through the long sweeping turn 1 and spun loosing 4 or 5 positions  >:(

In the last couple of laps I was chasing a few people down, and got past Wally when he spun at the end of the last lap, but pretty disappointed I didn't keep 3rd..
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:48:11 AM by Joe »

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
Ohh yeah, even I have been there Joe.  I think the high concentration load to get to a podium in itself make my very susceptible to loss of concentration when the realisation hits.

Gratulin, sometimes we think a like, a little scary, no?  To keep in theme with the F1, the tracks should stay as scheduled and adopt another car to, and happy to take your recommendation.  (It is a genuine recommendation with you going away?  ;D )

Will do some laps and confirm the change this week end.
I have put the caterhams on the play server quickly last night, will look into the next 'bye' and make it official.

Certainly time in the Cobras is the main thing to getting the best out of it, if you noticed, like I did with notification sound on pTracker), each of us gained PBs somewhere in the 10 laps...  (There has been an update to the other Cobras, the mod ones, so they fit later in an upcoming Cobra Cup)
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 11:34:37 AM »
I don't really find the H shifter that hard in the Cobra, but I use the H shifter all the time. I was generally able to downshift just by rev matching, mostly without crunching gears. I don't have any blip assists on (I don't think).

But it was a relief to get in the Toyota and just mash the throttle to the floor.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal