Xtreme Gaming Network

Whats involved with a Dslam backhaul upgrade these days?

Author Topic: Whats involved with a Dslam backhaul upgrade these days?  (Read 24916 times)

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« on: November 14, 2014, 09:45:54 PM »
Well we are all moved in but far from settled into a new house/area. no routine, it's complete chaos.... The internet turned on the the other day and it's super slow at night. Pings of 280+ and very slow DL's
I looked on the Telstra web site and found my Exchange is getting a dslam backhaul upgrade in 3 months time, I have a feeling we are all sharing internet in town and is peaking the exchange out every night on adsl,

My question is for anyone that may  know, will the backhaul upgrade put in adsl2+ or will it keep adsl but keep the true speed at peak (no more sharing)

Upgrade isn't scheduled until March 2015 so either way I wont be racing online for a while yet  :'( 

Offline insomniac

• View Profile
Re: Whats involved with a Dslam backhaul upgrade these days?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 10:45:55 PM »
What are your current adsl modem stats? also whos the ISP?

http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/adsl-reports-plans/index.htm

some documents from telstra that could shed some light..

also google search the whirlpool forums...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 10:52:00 PM by Davo »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 10:00:03 AM »
1. Backhaul upgrade will improve the bandwidth sharing so that the slow down at night will reduce. Assume it to mean you will get closer to your theoretical access speed for downloads.

2. DSLAM may need upgrading to support ADSL2 if the current DSLAMs are old.

3. Your theoretical access speed is dictated by your distance from the exchange. Note that this is cable run distance not 'as the crow flies'. I was 5km and got about 11Mbps. A neighbour got 16Mbps but then had a Telstra cable problem that reduced that to 1-2Mbps. They were switched to another copper pair and ended up with the 16Mbps. Also, note that your in house copper affects your speed a lot. Remove any old extensions and connect directly to the Telstra 'black' copper cable connector if possible, ie the main connection that Telstra originally installed. Also get rid of old plugs and change to modern (ie from +30 years ago) RJ connector.

You can use the Telstra site to estimate what you will receive based on distance from the exchange.

Your modem should display the DSL speed that has been negotiated. It is a specific DSL or ADSL menu option where it displays the Up and Down speeds for the link.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 10:01:58 AM by Gratulin »

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 03:54:46 PM »
Cheers, in the modem config it reads as 8032/384 I just did a speed test: ping 212 and 2831/231

I could live on the advertised adsl1 speed but the problem is from 4pm onwards the pings are 280+ and the DL sometimes goes to a crawl. Telstra have said today when I rang them there is a congestion problem at the exchange and are looking into it. Fingers crossed for ADSL2+ upgrade in March.

Thanks for the replies  ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:56:17 PM by Glen73 »

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 07:05:43 PM »
Good that at least you are getting some explanations/answers.
And now you say it, March is not that far away!
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 10:02:25 AM »
Look like exactly what they have said is true, you're on adsl1 syncing at the maximum rate but downloads etc are slow... there must be some major congestion going on. I'm surprised (well not realy) that Telstra is that bad... I'd expect this form Dodo or TPG etc..

WIthout knowing which exchange DSLAM or other infrafrsuture you are on it;'s hard to tel if you;re getting a tophat uograde to ADSL2+ or just a backhaul upgrade... the documents on telstrats site are excel spreadsheets you can search for your exhange and find out....

The current government is a joke not having NBN...

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 11:10:05 AM »
Look like exactly what they have said is true, you're on adsl1 syncing at the maximum rate but downloads etc are slow... there must be some major congestion going on. I'm surprised (well not realy) that Telstra is that bad... I'd expect this form Dodo or TPG etc..

WIthout knowing which exchange DSLAM or other infrafrsuture you are on it;'s hard to tel if you;re getting a tophat uograde to ADSL2+ or just a backhaul upgrade... the documents on telstrats site are excel spreadsheets you can search for your exhange and find out....

The current government is a joke not having NBN...

I'm at Loch 3945, about 2.5 stone throws away from the exchange.

Edit: looking at this, it looks like we will be upgrading to adsl2+, can someone confirm if I am reading this right?

http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/tw-report-exchange-adsl-increases.xls
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:18:56 AM by Glen73 »

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 12:08:13 PM »
I'm at Loch 3945, about 2.5 stone throws away from the exchange.
How good a stone thrower are you? Just trying to visualise your proximity... 
ohh and is as the "stone flies" or is that "along the wire" with directional changes? ;D

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 12:56:01 PM »
On a rainy day with the right stone and if I hit the right puddle it could be less.....

Along the wire I will estimate it to be....... 262.43 meters. I measured it google maps, that's as wire runs.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 01:18:22 PM »
On a rainy day with the right stone and if I hit the right puddle it could be less.....

Along the wire I will estimate it to be....... 262.43 meters. I measured it google maps, that's as wire runs.

Wow, you actually know the wiring?  Not bad, and if you're sitting nearly on top of the exhange like that, you should be getting insane good speeds.

If you're unsure (or anyone in the future), you can try this site; it gives pretty decent estimates
http://adsl2exchanges.com.au/detailedsummarystart.php

p.s. your stone throwing is pretty good, if you can cover that distance (assuming it's an L shaped wire, which is the best case for shortest "as the crow flies" distance - excluding u-turns), you have covered ~186m with 2.5 throws.   That's 74.4m per throw.  Very nice.  :D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:29:11 PM by Bird »

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 02:05:50 PM »
OK, estimated line length is 368m which should good.

Now curiosity has the better of me I am actually going to measure how far I can throw a stone.... any specific weight?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:27:10 PM by Bird »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 02:27:16 PM »

Now curiosity has the better of me I am actually going to measure how far I can throw a stone.... any specific weight?

Depends on your arm strength.  Too light will not go far, too heavy you can't throw far... :)  My preference is usually something around the size of a golf-ball, maybe a bit smaller.

If you're a bit out of shape, you should also warm up properly.  You can strain your shoulder pretty badly with casual stone-throwing.  Believe me, I'm talking from experience. :)   

Have fun!

ps sorry, I've accidentally edited my response into your post, again.  It's just too easy to do :)

Offline norbs

• View Profile
    • Non Pro Cycling
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »

You can be too close to the switch. You aren't, but some people are.
ARSE, cyclist and midget wrangler.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 04:26:56 PM »

I thought you would have a "good stone throwing arm" being a brickie!

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 03:04:07 PM »
Eeeeeeeek it's unusable now, 10KB/ps 280+ pings this is bad. I am going to see how I can go about cancelling the contract and sign back up in April. I feel it is a rip off to charge this much for something so bad.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal