Xtreme Gaming Network

The State of Assetto Corsa

Author Topic: The State of Assetto Corsa  (Read 34644 times)

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« on: January 02, 2016, 03:53:51 PM »
Every-time I load it up it feels like an unfinished product. My main gripes revolve around the multiplayer side of things, but aren't limited to it.

Why can't we pick what car we want to run when we join a server? From what I have read this will never be changed, which seems crazy to me. If the admin only put three of a type of car on the server and they are all taken it's too bad, this is so frustrating for me and even if they aren't all taken I'm still stuck with the liveries that were selected when the admin set the server up. The only thing AC has over other sim racing games right now is it's aesthetics and I don't even get to pick which version of their gorgeous cars I get to drive when I'm online. 

This one is pretty minor, but why are the replay files so massive? What are they storing in those files? I have done three hour races in other sims and the replay file is 70mb at most. If you do a race longer than 30 minutes you don't even get the whole replay.

Inability to jump the start, speed in the pits or do anything that would normally net you a penalty. Isn't this meant to be a racing simulation? I should be the only one controlling my car once I click the race button, not some AI that's there to cover up what I can only presume are holes in the simulation. This leads me to my next point, proper racing rules. I'm talking about implementing rolling starts, drive through penalties, driver swapping during pit stops, black flags and more. The tagline for the game is "your racing simulator", yet they don't even have proper racing rules.

The pitstop minigame. It can't be that hard to give us a tool that lets us preselect what we want to do in our pit stops, ideally we should be able to do this in the setup screen or a menu of it's own before the race starts, then be able to make changes on the fly during a stint. This is something that has been in other racing simulations for well over a decade.

Tyre physics, it seems like I can just throw as much camber at a wheel as I want with next to no penalty in tyre life or overheating, but with a huge gain in grip. This seems to have gotten worse with the most recent update.

I had a lot of hope for this game up until recently, but with the impending console release and what looks like more premium DLC on the horizon I'm beginning to lose faith. It's frustrating to me as I have purchased every piece of DLC, played well over 150 hours (I know that's probably small compared to some here) and essentially been drinking the Asetto Corsa cool aid. All of a sudden it looks like they may never deliver a complete racing simulator.

I'm not going to be buying anymore premium content from this developer until I see some progress on the real problems with this game. It doesn't need more official content, that should be left to modders. The dev team should be working on fixing what's under the hood.

I know they have done some good stuff too. I think the way they have incorporated minor rating is great news, although I'm yet to see it stop people driving like tools online. These type of things usually take a while to build up. So I'm still hopeful that this will have an affect. I also like the changes to the netcode.

This is just my two cents. I'm just curious to see if I am the only one feeling a little frustrated by recent developments around Assetto Corsa.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 05:35:27 PM by christopheraser »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 05:21:59 PM »
The total focus of Kunos is, and always will be, the driving experience and the quality of the content. "Game" features will always take second priority even though there are a lot of features we'd all like to have. I am very willing to live with the some of the limitations of Assetto Corsa just to experience the driving realism it provides. Now that multiplayer warping has been fixed, of course ;)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: The State of Assetto Corsa
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 05:35:32 PM »
As Gratulin said.

WRT the camber; it's natural to get more mid-corner grip from higher cambers.  Especially the street cars are not set up for maximum corner grip.
I'm not sure how much extra you get, but it's a necessary change to nearly all tintop setups .

I can't comment on the tyre life, I've never tried to test it.  I did not think it'd overheat with higher camber anyway, but I'm not racing IRL and have no real-life experience in this regard.

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 05:38:29 PM »
The total focus of Kunos is, and always will be, the driving experience and the quality of the content. "Game" features will always take second priority even though there are a lot of features we'd all like to have. I am very willing to live with the some of the limitations of Assetto Corsa just to experience the driving realism it provides. Now that multiplayer warping has been fixed, of course ;)

I'd agree with you if I felt the driving experience was better. It's a hell of a lot prettier than any other sim and that is part of it. However the tyres and how they react to camber and other setup changes is a pretty important part of the driving experience for me and I feel that has gone backwards of late, if anywhere at all.

It just makes me sad and I'm hoping there is some silver lining to grab onto, but I don't see it.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 05:40:16 PM »
The tyre temps aren't quite right yet.  I never put full camber on the cars as it seems to take away some of the snappiness.  Especially places like Monza.

But I guess it all comes down to alternatives.  If not AC, what else?  I don't think there is anything else out there that offers what AC does, but better.  I'm fairly happy with it atm.

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 06:10:43 PM »
But I guess it all comes down to alternatives.  If not AC, what else?  I don't think there is anything else out there that offers what AC does, but better.  I'm fairly happy with it atm.

I resent GameStock car as Reiza just keep releasing updated versions of rfactor1 over and over again. I'm not into iRacing partly because of the subscription, but mostly because I prefer racing in a league not with a bunch of randoms. I've not played RaceRoom, but I'm yet see any Australian leagues pop up. I play rf2 for the most part. Certainly it's had its share of teething problems, but I think does a better job in every department except for graphics. There is plenty of content and decent leagues around these days, it's just not as good looking as AC.

In writing this I have realised that what I want from Assetto Corsa is a prettier version of rf2 and that's probably not going to happen  :(
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 06:20:42 PM by christopheraser »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 06:25:29 PM »
You left CARS out :)

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 06:55:48 PM »

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 06:59:43 PM »
Is there an rFactor 2 demo/trial?  I was close to buying it not long ago with the discount code, but then read about the lack of players online so it put me off a little.

I would be interested to try it though.  My time with iRacing and rFactor 1 didn't come anywhere close to AC IMO, but that was a few years ago now.

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 07:07:06 PM »
Is there an rFactor 2 demo/trial?  I was close to buying it not long ago with the discount code, but then read about the lack of players online so it put me off a little.

I would be interested to try it though.  My time with iRacing and rFactor 1 didn't come anywhere close to AC IMO, but that was a few years ago now.

Yep

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rfactor2-purchase/

You need to configure your wheel properly to get the most out of it. Have you got a G25, 27 or 29? If you do I can just send you all of my feedback settings.

It's hard to find a race on a whim that's for sure. I race regularly with a couple of different leagues. At the moment I am really enjoying 1992 F1 cars and the Flatsix (911 cup) mods, although I don't think you will be able to access them through the demo, as they are both third party stuff. Numbers can vary wildy, but it's rarely below 10 drivers there on a league night and usually 15+.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 07:10:28 PM by christopheraser »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 08:39:08 PM »
I agree with everything that everybody has said.

AC is lacking in some features that I personally would regard as important, for sure. Here's my gripe: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/from-the-facebook.22763/page-317#post-613259

But I played some rF2. Some pCars. Some iRacing ages ago. And then sold my soul to AC. rF2 was very slippery, and didn't look great. pCars looked great, but some cars just felt shocking, and it was really inconsistent. iRacing, I couldn't justify the price, and racing against random bods was sterile. AC for me still ticks most boxes.

In my own testing, camber works as expected, i.e. not enough camber is slower than some camber which is slower than too much camber. For me, the AC cars still feel the most realistic and believable.

And PS, I've played 1,162 hours of AC :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:42:29 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 08:53:22 PM »
I agree with everything that everybody has said.

AC is lacking in some features that I personally would regard as important, for sure. Here's my gripe: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/from-the-facebook.22763/page-317#post-613259

But I played some rF2. Some pCars. Some iRacing ages ago. And then sold my soul to AC. rF2 was very slippery, and didn't look great. pCars looked great, but some cars just felt shocking, and it was really inconsistent. iRacing, I couldn't justify the price, and racing against random bods was sterile. AC for me still ticks most boxes.

In my own testing, camber works as expected, i.e. not enough camber is slower than some camber which is slower than too much camber. For me, the AC cars still feel the most realistic and believable.

And PS, I've played 1,162 hours of AC :)

Rf2 changed the contact patch and a lot of the tyre modelling in July or August last year, it was a huge improvement.

It's funny because I would describe AC as "slippery", compared to rf2. The words we use to describe the things we feel in simracing are all that we have, but it's all so subjective. I'm colour blind and about the only thing that I can relate it to when people ask me, "What does red look like to you?". It's impossible for me to describe, because I have no idea what red looks like to anyone else and conveying the difference in words would be impossible.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 09:57:10 PM »
No substitute for trying something yourself. I quite liked rF2, truth be told. It was very immersive. I loved the Skip Barber at Lime Rock, and the historic Spa.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 10:15:09 PM »
Agreed

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 10:47:37 PM »
No substitute for trying something yourself. I quite liked rF2, truth be told. It was very immersive. I loved the Skip Barber at Lime Rock, and the historic Spa.

The Skippy is a cool car, wish AC had it
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal