Xtreme Gaming Network

S25R7: Ford California Grand Prix at Sonoma Raceway Long Circuit

Author Topic: S25R7: Ford California Grand Prix at Sonoma Raceway Long Circuit  (Read 31479 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: S25R7: Ford California Grand Prix at Sonoma Raceway Long Circuit
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 06:23:50 PM »
Server's up.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 07:54:43 PM »
I'm having trouble booting my PC... I may or may not be there  :-X
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 07:57:06 PM »
Hi Guys, last minute but I am not going to make it tonight . . . got a bit on!
That's also my season done as I am going away for a fortnight so won't make the last round.
Thanks again Wally and good luck all for the final rounds.
p.s. Bring it home Mael :)

Offline bradc

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 11:21:19 PM »
Toughest race of the season, bar none!
Having very little idea of how to set up a car it was really difficult. I struggled to get the car to turn and the shocks seemed to bounce like a bronco. In the end I raised the ride height,  stiffened the shocks and softened the roll bars and if I drove the car by turning in stupidly early. I was able to ride the curbs like a nascar and whilst it wasn’t a quali car, it was a rather stable race car where I was able to lap around the 32 mark on the hard tyres all race long.

The start was very safe, bacchulum ran wide about a 1/3 into the lap and I managed to miss his awkward rejoin and spin. I managed to miss most of the other people’s mistakes and cruised up to about 5th when a fast catching Russ caught up to me. His shorty was so much faster off the corners, but my longtail had the legs. What unfolded was a titanic struggle where I was trying to drive as straight and clean as I could, but I made sure I stayed on the racing line. Russ was all over me into the final hairpin and a couple of times I left the door open as I thought he was next to me, but I was able to out accelerate him off the corner. Once I realised this, I basically ignored my mirror and continued on my way. Yep, Russ was a lot faster in terms of a clear laptime, but the difference in the two cars would allow him to catch, but by the time he did, he didn’t have enough track to pass and I couldn’t be bothered moving over so early into the race. Eventually Russ got a good run into the hairpin and I left racing room, but he then slid into the side of me on exit pushing me into the wall. This got my back up so the following lap when he tried this again, I held my ground and unfortunately Russ turned me around.  After his readdress I think he had a moment as he disappeared from my mirror and I didn’t see him until the dying moments of the race.

I think I started too light. By starting with 2/3’s of a tank I had to take on about the same I lost four spots when I pitted around the half distance mark. As has been the case for most of this season, I came out about 10s behind killagorrilla. This week I managed to catch and pass him but with 8mins to race end I made a driving error and fell off on the hump at the inner loop. Sadly I lost my spot and two laps later I did the same mistake again. I think my wheels were not straight when I hit the brakes causing me to fall off. Never the less Killa was able to hold off my every attempt and I finished for an extreamly hard fort 8th place.

For me, it’s season over as I’m away next week, but it’s been a thoroughly enjoyable season and thanks to all involved for their efforts. It’s been great fun

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 07:27:18 AM »
I'm pretty sure my video card shat itself last night and needs to be RMAd. The screen locked up and went multicoloured, and when I rebooted, Windows no longer recognised the card because it reported an error. I updated drivers with a clean install, downgraded drivers, reseated the card, but it would no longer be recognised by Windows. So I've chucked my 980 back in for now.

I'll get the results up tonight.

Offline Ablearcher83

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 07:57:53 AM »
I'm pretty sure my video card shat itself last night and needs to be RMAd. The screen locked up and went multicoloured, and when I rebooted, Windows no longer recognised the card because it reported an error. I updated drivers with a clean install, downgraded drivers, reseated the card, but it would no longer be recognised by Windows. So I've chucked my 980 back in for now.

Well the only thing to do is replace it. I suggest...........https://www.pccasegear.com/products/45097/inno3d-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-ichill-black-11gb
Intoxicated by the exubrance of my own verlocity

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 09:15:24 AM »

Well the only thing to do is replace it. I suggest...........https://www.pccasegear.com/products/45097/inno3d-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-ichill-black-11gb
The dead card is a Gigabyte 2080 which is only about a month old.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 10:52:48 AM »

Not good Wally, I hope there are no problems with a replacement.
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 11:12:22 AM »

So that was the likely cause of your issues Wally?

Offline Dave O

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 12:40:30 PM »
Read somewhere a while back there was a lot of problems with some of these new cards  :(

so you're probably not the only one Wally. Hope all works out ok with a replacement.
NEVER TOO OLD TO RACE ... being competitive can be a PROBLEM though.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 02:44:24 PM »

So that was the likely cause of your issues Wally?
Definitely last night's no show. The Discord overlay thing, maybe that would have happened anyway, as the card appeared to be working OK then.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 03:59:55 PM »
Toughest race of the season,

Agree quite a though one  :)

Decided early on that I would not be able to get the Longtail on the pace around the nuclear disaster zone that is the Sonama road surface. So instead tried to create a easy handling car and focus on staying on road.
Which worked well, made a few early error giving up positions to Phil, Bacchulum and Bradc which was immensely frustrating. Don't mind being slow but people should still work hard to get by me.   (I would take being called a blocker with joy, a hat tip to Enrique Bernoldi  ;D)

Then surprisingly made a few position during the pit stop, I added 10l of fuel really only because that was how long the tire change took. Could have done the whole race on a single tank, emphasizing how little throttle I was able to use in the long tail! Finished (I think) 4th, a good result!

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 06:40:24 PM »
Quali was disappointing. Being a bit earlier on the server I was hoping to improve my PB a bit, but it went the other way, missed it by 1.5s...and I don't even have anyone to blame for it but myself. I struggled with the sun being so low during practise and I think I lost a lot of time up the hill.
However, I managed to keep the car in one piece and that's the main thing...just that silly spin in lap one, which put me at the end of the field.
Bradc, cheers for letting me pass again. You must have felt guilty for catching me so early this time ;-)
I was crazy busy during the race and running a motion simulator on this bumpy track didn't make it easier hitting the PTT button on my button box. That's why I was so quiet and couldn't answer...yeah, not supposed to chat during the race anyway, I know.
So it was fun, cheers.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 08:10:50 PM »
I was crazy busy during the race and running a motion simulator

This took my interest
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 08:12:44 PM »
I was crazy busy during the race and running a motion simulator

This took my interest
Yeah, do tell!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal