Xtreme Gaming Network

Poll: Season 15 Cars

Poll

What car do you want to drive in season 15?

Ferrari F138
14 (35.9%)
Tatuus Formula Abarth FA01
5 (12.8%)
Praga R1
20 (51.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Poll: Season 15 Cars  (Read 41510 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Poll: Season 15 Cars
« on: November 30, 2016, 08:02:57 PM »
Choose one or more cars that you would like to drive in season 15. The poll will be open for all of December.

Ferrari F138
Ferrari's 2013 V8 Formula 1 car. Fast, fast, fast. Loads of setup options, but fairly easy to drive out of the box. Features technology like DRS and KERS.

Tatuus Formula Abarth FA01
A mid-range open wheeler, aimed at karting graduates. Very stable, lots of downforce, easy to drive. Doesn't move about much. We drove this car way back in season 2 (August 2014).

Praga R1
The Praga R1 is a full-carbon track car designed around a composite monocoque. The slowest of the three options, but moves about more than the Formula Abarth.

Category Rules
Here are the rules I'd consider for the three options, based on real life series, which might influence your vote:

F138
One long race per round (45/50/60 mins)?
No refuelling.
Out of all of the tyre compounds, each race will have 2 compounds nominated that you must use (although you can use others as well) - this implies 1 mandatory pit stop, but you can do more.
Top 10 qualifiers have to start the race on the same compound that they set their qualifying time with.

Formula Abarth
3 x sprints of varying lengths.
No pit stops.
Qualify for races 1 and 2; race 3 is in race 2 finish order with top 6 reversed.
1 bonus point for getting pole for races 1 & 2; 1 bonus point for fastest lap in each race.

Praga R1
2 x 30 min races with qually for both.
1 bonus point for getting pole; 1 bonus point for fastest lap in each race.
1 mandatory pit stop for tyres. No refuelling.
Handicap seconds time delay added to the pit stops for leaders:
  • If you win a race, you get an extra 9 seconds hold in the next race's pit stop. 2nd gets +6 secs; 3rd gets +3 secs. This accumulates, so if you win a race twice in a row for example, you will be held for 9 + 9 = 18 seconds in the next race.
  • If you come 4th, you get 3 seconds off your accumulated hold, 5th loses 6 secs; 6th and lower lose 9 secs.
    E.g. If you win race 1, you get a 9 second hold. If you come 5th in race 2, this will be reduced to a 9 - 6 = 3 sec hold in the next race.
I like the sound of the Praga rules, with the handicap seconds added to the pit stops. That would make the race interesting, with the car handling/speed unaffected, but leaving you have to think about when you pit to allow for your handicap seconds.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:30:17 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: Season 15 Cars
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 09:55:52 PM »
Praga : Covered wheel, covered cockpit. ::)

:P

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 10:24:22 PM »

So sue me ;)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 10:32:03 PM »

So sue me ;)
Oh, I'm just letting people know their vision will be impaired. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 08:04:13 AM »
I was reading about the race format that they use in the Dutch Superlight series where they race the Praga. They have a pit stop where they have to stop for a certain time. Instead of success ballast, they alter the length of time that the leaders have to stop for, so that they have to stop longer. They do that because the series has a range of different cars, and no set ballast amount would disadvantage each type of car fairly.

In theory, the PitConfig app could do something like that, by adding a delay in the pit stop before it "clicks" the button to start the stop. The pain is that you can't enforce that server-side. You'd have to set the delay yourself somewhere.

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 04:46:46 PM »
I was reading about the race format that they use in the Dutch Superlight series where they race the Praga. They have a pit stop where they have to stop for a certain time. Instead of success ballast, they alter the length of time that the leaders have to stop for, so that they have to stop longer. They do that because the series has a range of different cars, and no set ballast amount would disadvantage each type of car fairly.

In theory, the PitConfig app could do something like that, by adding a delay in the pit stop before it "clicks" the button to start the stop. The pain is that you can't enforce that server-side. You'd have to set the delay yourself somewhere.

What if you just adjusted the amount of times the leaders would have to pit over the rest of the field?  The slower guys like me would pit once and you would have to bit twice, and you would have to change tyres and perhaps add fuel to give it a decent time in the pit. 

I'd prefer success ballast and you guys getting x amount added each race if you're still up the front until it slows you down enough to give others more of a fighting chance. But I think a pit system could possibly work, it would just mean a lot of pit activity and no sprint rounds..
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 09:46:28 PM »
Wally, I don't know if this helps or not, but I host a Sim Racing LAN at my house every other month for a bunch of mates. Back in September we did a Bathurst enduro and we had one mandatory 3 minute pit stop. I got this app from the Reddit AC league (ACRL) that they use for pitstops. All it does essentially is sticks up a timer that shows how long you've been in the pit lane for and how long you've stopped for, then when you exit the pits it spits out both times into the chat (ie. AJ pit stop 20.2 seconds, pit lane time 41.3 seconds). So we just said if anybody's time was reported as shorter than 3 minutes they got a 3 minute penalty or something. Of course it doesn't have to be 3 minutes, we just chose that because it was to make sure that everybody could have a pee break mid race and people that could hold it in didn't have an advantage  ;D

The app is called ACRL Pit and one file needed to be adjusted to spit the times into the chat rather than just have them recorded internally. If you like I can send you the version I have that already has the file modified (because I honestly can't remember which file and what was modified and how).

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 11:44:31 PM »
Thanks AJ, if anything at all, I'd probably just go for something simple like success ballast. If we choose the Praga, I'd model the series after the Dutch Superlights series where they do have what is equivalent to success ballast, or I might work in an app that the server can control to add a "success" delay to the leader's pit stops via the Pit Config app. I like the sound of that, as it doesn't change the car handling with ballast, and re-shuffles the grid with varying length pit stops.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 12:49:11 PM »
I now have the ability to send player specific config parameters from the server to local apps when a player joins. *fist pump*. I can use this and a modified PitConfig app to enforce a "success" delay for the front runners in a pit stop, for example.

Here are the rules I'd consider for the three options, based on real life series, which might influence your vote:

F138
One long race per round (45/50/60 mins)?
No refuelling.
Out of all of the tyre compounds, each race will have 2 compounds nominated that you must use (although you can use others as well) - this implies 1 mandatory pit stop, but you can do more.
Top 10 qualifiers have to start the race on the same compound that they set their qualifying time with.

Formula Abarth
3 x sprints of varying lengths.
No pit stops.
Qualify for races 1 and 2; race 3 is in race 2 finish order with top 6 reversed.
1 bonus point for getting pole for races 1 & 2; 1 bonus point for fastest lap in each race.

Praga R1
2 x 30 min races with qually for both.
1 bonus point for getting pole; 1 bonus point for fastest lap in each race.
1 mandatory pit stop for tyres. No refuelling.
Handicap seconds time delay added to the pit stops for leaders:
  • If you win a race, you get an extra 9 seconds hold in the next race's pit stop. 2nd gets +6 secs; 3rd gets +3 secs. This accumulates, so if you win a race twice in a row for example, you will be held for 9 + 9 = 18 seconds in the next race.
  • If you come 4th, you get 3 seconds off your accumulated hold, 5th loses 6 secs; 6th and lower lose 9 secs.
    E.g. If you win race 1, you get a 9 second hold. If you come 5th in race 2, this will be reduced to a 9 - 6 = 3 sec hold in the next race.

I like the sound of the Praga rules, with the handicap seconds added to the pit stops. That would make the race interesting, with the car handling/speed unaffected, but leaving you have to think about when you pit to allow for your handicap seconds.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 01:47:46 PM »

BUT....... ;D

2+2=√16

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 02:14:37 PM »
Intereting formats but when you say long race for f138 I think 60 mins would be minimum classed as even close to long.  ;)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 02:37:28 PM »
I'm not an F1 driver, I think 45mins in these cars is enough. :o
I don't foresee any race changing moments happening after that. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 02:59:22 PM »
I'm not an F1 driver, I think 45mins in these cars is enough. :o
I don't foresee any race changing moments happening after that. ;)
I'd  be happy to do at least 60 mins in the F1 car, but it might not be everybody's cup of tea.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 03:02:46 PM »
Id rather the f1 doesnt win next season but if its only 1 race then an hour or hour and half isnt much. The longer the race the more the tyre strategy is a focus without needing silly and overdone multipliers on tyres that pretty much would rule out the softest compounds.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 06:01:09 PM »
I know you're not a fan of tyre multipliers Marty :)
Tyre multipliers have their place, especially if you need them so you can't just always do a whole race on 1 set of mediums. The need for it varies from season to season.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal