Xtreme Gaming Network

Why NBN and iiNet are a joke.

Author Topic: Why NBN and iiNet are a joke.  (Read 16062 times)

Online rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Why NBN and iiNet are a joke.
« on: April 02, 2016, 10:38:35 AM »
This is what I pay iiNet per month for my internet service.
NBN Fibre 2 (50/20)
 - User Name: lenore9
Monthly Charge
$84.90
Billed period: 01 MAR 2016 - 01 APR 2016
Internet Total
$84.90
Plus $10 per month for a voip to mobile phone service.
I live in Coffs Harbour where the NBN was initially rolled out. I have optic fibre into my unit (no copper wire).
My connection is in theory 50/20 MBS which is verified  using online speed tests. However the the best download speed
I have ever experienced is 5MBS from any location. A large file download TEST will give me 10MBS. I constantly experience
buffering with ABC iview and SBS.  Netflix is always  OK even with HD movies. I have been content to put up with the status quo
as online experience has always been excellent until last Thursday night. I had a disconnect from the server and then Teamspeak
I rejoined and was again disconnected but managed to join last race but without Teamspeak.
I am sure iiNet is using some form throttling to overcome the unmetered use of Netflix and lack of bandwith!!
My download limit on this package is  1terabyte/month.
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
Re: Why NBN and iiNet are a joke.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 10:53:51 AM »
That seems pretty poor
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Rolz

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 12:55:17 PM »
Can you do same tests through a vpn?

Does sound crap

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 01:06:50 PM »
Can you fix your measurements? I'm not sure if you talk about mb/s or mB/s. I' in internode, btw, and on a 100/40. It's all TPG btw, sadly.

But I seldom see servers capable of serving files at decent speeds.  Friend on dodo has the same experience.  Just sayin' :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 01:58:14 PM by Bird »

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 01:57:37 PM »
I can tell you what Telstra NBN is like on the 15th.
(hopefully better than that  :( )

2+2=√16

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 01:59:55 PM »
Can you do same tests through a vpn?

Does sound crap
What should that achieve? 

I'm using a VPN regularly for daily browsing, it slows thing down a bit as expected.  Especially pings, but downloads as well.
Speed tests will give you weird results, though. 

Rolz

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 02:17:41 PM »
Dunno if it's a throttle per site... I see my users trying to use it to get around my limitations on sites :)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 02:36:08 PM »
Rooshooter I just ditched Internode because their service has become so unreliable.  They used to be one of, if not the best ISP when it came to quality service, but since being taken over by iiNet things have steadily gone down hill to the point where over the last 6 months congestion, download speeds from single clients and reliability have been terrible.

So my advice is to vote with your wallet and jump ship to an ISP that you know provides a good service.  That's the only way ISP's that adopt this model will learn.

Online rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 03:42:15 PM »
Thankyou everybody for you suggestions, I think I will take Guybrush's advice and vote with my feet.
Btw Bird I was talking " millions of bits per second"  . Just for info ,the copper network in the Coffs Harbour region
has been decommissioned.
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 05:32:54 PM »
Cool. I am interested in what choices you guys recommend. I don't want to sign long contracts though so maybe skymesh? Who are you with gb?

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 05:52:36 PM »
Cool. I am interested in what choices you guys recommend. I don't want to sign long contracts though so maybe skymesh? Who are you with gb?

I've gone with a smaller provider called Aussie Broadband for two reasons:  1)  I know quite a few people, as well as our organisation, that are with them and speak very highly of them.  This also reflects what I've found from users online, and 2) I can get Naked ADSL which is $50 for 100 gig vs. the $80 for 60 gig I was paying for at Internode (although Netflix is un-metered with Internode, but for an extra $10 with ABB I can get 300 gig total) .

Now I've only put my order in yesterday to switch, so the switch itself hasn't happened yet (will be within the month).  But I will report back on how ABB are as an ISP when the switch is flicked.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 06:24:47 PM »
I wish you the best - altho I'm not sure your speed problems were internode-based, it's possible.
Have you tried to get their support to help?  I've found that they're very nice and helpful, they can change profiles, etc, whatever is within their limits.
They can't change the copper, nor get rid of congestions at the node point, though. That was my problem earlier on ADSL.

Edit: and the reason I'm on a monthly sub with them; it's getting clearer and clearer that TPG will run these two into the ground (iinet and internode) so I'll need to switch, too.  Looksie here:
https://delimiter.com.au/2016/04/01/internode-sets-first-ever-offshore-call-centre/

The problem being; there's no fucking alternative.  TPG, Optus, Telstra, Dodo - seriously?!?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 06:28:46 PM by Bird »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 06:28:33 PM »
I get 1,200 GB for $80 with Internode!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 08:52:33 PM »
I get unlimited data on Optus cable and I have the 100Mbit speed pack, but since Netflix launched in April last year, 5pm-midnight every week night and most of the time on Saturdays I'm only getting a fraction of what I'm paying for. It's disappointing, but DSL is garbage and Telstra don't have cable here.

Funny what GB says about things going to shit with Internode after iiNet took over. Years ago I worked for OzEmail and then iiNet took over there and things went to shit working for them as well. Not that it was fantastic before, but they turned a bag of shit into a truckload.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 09:20:02 PM »
I wish you the best - altho I'm not sure your speed problems were internode-based, it's possible.
Have you tried to get their support to help?  I've found that they're very nice and helpful, they can change profiles, etc, whatever is within their limits.
They can't change the copper, nor get rid of congestions at the node point, though. That was my problem earlier on ADSL.

Edit: and the reason I'm on a monthly sub with them; it's getting clearer and clearer that TPG will run these two into the ground (iinet and internode) so I'll need to switch, too.  Looksie here:
https://delimiter.com.au/2016/04/01/internode-sets-first-ever-offshore-call-centre/

The problem being; there's no fucking alternative.  TPG, Optus, Telstra, Dodo - seriously?!?

In my case it's a win either way.  If the problem is my end/exchange end then the service I get can't be any worse plus I'm saving $30 a month.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal