Xtreme Gaming Network

S18R1: Brands Hatch Indy Post Race

Author Topic: S18R1: Brands Hatch Indy Post Race  (Read 13466 times)

Offline bradc

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: S18R1: Brands Hatch Indy Post Race
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 09:24:16 PM »
What an interesting night and a baptism of fire for my return to online racing. With rfactor being in vogue the last time I raced seriously online, it was terrific to see such a huge field for the first round, I hope this continues for the rest of the season. 

I qualified somewhere down the rear, but then was black flagged at the start of the race. I have no idea why, but after serving the drive-thru on the first last most of my race was spent hoping people would fall off so I could pass them as they recovered from the sandtrap! Never the less, that didn't happen all that often and the race was over just as I started to catch the rear of the field, strangely I did receive a cut track warning during the middle of a spin, which was a weird thing.....Is this a bug in the software or just how it is ????

For the start of race 2, I did the start exactly as race 1 and this time no black flags. I'm still stumped as to why, but never the less.... I managed to get somewhere near 12th during the first lap and it was terrific racing back in the pack. Everyone I raced seemed to be fair and most seemed to be either using their view left/right or must have triple screens as it seemed good to see people giving each other racing room. I had a few attempts at passing others, but had to back off as I'm the sort of driver who will not pass if it means contact and as I'm still learning Assetto Corsa, I'm extra cautious.

Which is why I was so guttered when I made contact with AJ at the slow hairpin. It was one of those passes where the car in front appears to get a slower run out of the previous corner and you get next to the down the straight and make the inside pass for the next corner. Or so that was how I had expected it should have happened. Obviously I was either not far enough up the inside of AJ or I was and AJ either didn't or AJ didn't know I was there, but regardless we made contact at close to the apex of the corner, resulting in AJ having a spin. Now some might view it as a racing incident, however I'm not a bump and run person, so being the car trying to pass and making contact I made the decision to go high and wait for him and readdress regardless of whether I should have or not.

Sadly we both lost about 5 places and such was the competitiveness of the field that it was impossible to make those places up. What I found interesting was that towards the end of the race as the leaders caught up to lap, was just how early the blue flags started to appear. It might be an Assetto thing, but I noticed that on each occasion they appeared to start being waved well before the leader could be seen in the rear view mirror. I'm not sure on the process of this, however when I did slow the first time I saw them, I lost several seconds in that lap as the leader was so far behind. During the repeat instances, I started to ignore the blue flag until I could actually see the chasing car and then moved over at either the next straight or corner.

The long race was most enjoyable and whilst being challenging, I felt the race length was good as it was long enough to be able to get into a rhythm and try to chase people down and not too long that the arms didn't fall off due to the relentless cornering forces and bumps from the force feedback.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 10:33:06 PM »
Qualified 8th and held 8th for most of race one until with three laps to go coming out of t2 I got a bit sideways and drifted slightly right with my rear tapping the front left of someone attacking from behind.  The result, a spin and 6 places lost.
R2 This race also was going pretty well (9th) for the first bit, generally holding my own until on lap 25 I collected some stranded cars at T1.  Tried to push on but car was stuffed so a lengthy pit stop saw me back out in 21st to finish.
Not a great start season. Certainly room for improvement.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:52:25 PM by Freezer »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 10:44:07 PM »
@bradc, great write up. Because the cut detection from the PLP app is automatic, it sometimes makes mistakes even though it is generally accurate. That's why you get 3 warnings before any penalty is applied.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 09:45:13 AM »
Still with low resilience, managed to get in race one and looking at the stats/graphs very happy with my consistency, albeit slow.
Dave O was always the few seconds ahead of Rob and I, as we took a few opportunities to swap places as per our normal race methodology :)
I find this a really hard track to get the last turns on to the straight... I sat in on many laps with others but unfortunately couldn't replicate any and consistently lost .5 to 1.0 second after gaining that in other sectors...

Great car, had a ball, and so good to see such a large field.
VG race reports too.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 09:52:27 AM »
I do like to read others race reports, I am hopeless at it, I get into some zone and have no ideas whats happened after a race .

My report example
race one started, did some laps and finished well

race 2 started from pole went around and around for 39 times passed some cars was fun
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 10:43:22 AM »
I apologise for the no show on Tuesday. The family catch up went way longer than normal. Will be back on track next week.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 11:04:21 AM »
I do like to read others race reports, I am hopeless at it, I get into some zone and have no ideas whats happened after a race .

My report example

race 2 started from pole went around and around for 39 times passed some cars was fun
:D
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 12:22:02 PM »

My report example

I have a feeling the next race is not going to be as easy Phil  ;D

Offline bradc

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 03:30:34 PM »
@bradc, great write up. Because the cut detection from the PLP app is automatic, it sometimes makes mistakes even though it is generally accurate. That's why you get 3 warnings before any penalty is applied.

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't understand it at the time. I'm still learning all the finer details of AC, so there is sure to be plenty more newbie questions as I get stuck along the way.
Cheers,
Bc.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 10:58:12 PM »
where are the videos?... I was promised videos... ;)

Here you go Grat - first couple of laps of race 1.
[youtube]sOZTYW6dpac[/youtube]

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2017, 04:02:06 PM »
where are the videos?... I was promised videos... ;)

Here you go Grat - first couple of laps of race 1.
[youtube]sOZTYW6dpac[/youtube]
Thank you!!!

Offline djb1974

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2017, 07:30:10 AM »
Rather Poor nights racing for me, being the loneliest in both races by huge amounts,

I seemed to live with a Blue flag for most of Race 2, trying to make sure every body was able to get by me cleanly really slows my lap times down, and being tired my concentration level was way off as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal