Xtreme Gaming Network

Thursday Server

Author Topic: Thursday Server  (Read 85576 times)

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: Thursday Server
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2018, 08:26:00 AM »
Thanks for all the help Bird :D
Yes thanks Bird, much appreciated :).
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Phil.8

• Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2018, 09:17:58 AM »
Thankyou Rooshooter,  thanks to your generosity we are paid for 12 months now
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2018, 05:42:55 PM »
Fantastic work rooshooter and Phil.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Phil.8

• Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2018, 09:53:11 PM »
The server has started asking for a password every time I or Wally access it and also has started saying "The server name on the certificate is incorrect" and "The certificate is not from a trusted certifying authority", I am pretty dumb with all this stuff and was wondering if anyone (Bird) knows how to fix it

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2018, 06:57:40 AM »
The server has started asking for a password every time I or Wally access it and also has started saying "The server name on the certificate is incorrect" and "The certificate is not from a trusted certifying authority", I am pretty dumb with all this stuff and was wondering if anyone (Bird) knows how to fix it

That would be the SSL certificate. Did you purchase one from a trusted authority previously?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2018, 08:05:57 AM »
With the certificate thing, it's OK to tick "Don't ask me again for this computer" (or whatever it says). That's more a problem at the Amazon end than anything we can fix.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2018, 09:07:16 AM »
Access it how, Phil?  Browser (I guess)?   

In that case all you need is a new SSL certificate.  It could be the code that serves the html pages installed its own self-signed certificate and it's now expired. 
It can be regenerated, but you need to know a few details.   There's also a possibility that upgrading the code, or calling a reconfiguration in it will regenerate the certificate.

eg here's a page about "how to generate self-signed certificates".
https://www.sslshopper.com/article-how-to-create-a-self-signed-certificate.html

It's nothing but a couple of files that resides somewhere in the file system, that the web server reads and uses for encryption.
You can call a command on linux to generate such a certificate.

Alternatively, you can get free signed certificates, eg https://letsencrypt.org/
It may look a bit easier, but you still need to find the originals to replace them, and of course give the certificate authority the same details to generate the cert - eg hostname.
In fact a lot of these require you to generate a key file called "CSR" (certificate sign request) via apache, upload it, and they'll give you the certificate files.

How to find the certificate?
In apache, you just look into the ssl.conf file, which usually resides somewhere like /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf, it's a few pages long, but will have a line like this:
SSLCertificateFile /var/www/ssl/[filename].crt

You need to replace a few files, mind, not just that one. That's simply the public certificate file.
There's also the private key
SSLCertificateKeyFile /var/www/ssl/[filename].key

And the certificate authority file:
SSLCACertificateFile /var/www/ssl/[filename].ca-bundle

They may not have the same extensions, and will probably reside elsewhere, not in /var/www/ nevermind that.

After replacing them, restart apache.

Do take backups of both config & certificate files, in case something gets fucked up!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:13:51 AM by Bird »

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2018, 09:21:48 AM »
Like Wally said this is more an internal Amazon thing when authenticating for RDP. I wouldn't sorry about it. You don't need your own SSL cert on the server.

Offline Phil.8

• Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2018, 11:09:27 AM »
Thanks all :)

what about the password not saving anymore ?

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2018, 11:13:19 AM »
Thanks all :)

what about the password not saving anymore ?

Depends on how you access the server I suppose. Are you using RDP? Teamviewer? What is not working here?
I'm guessing the password is actually working though and you just need to enter it each time?

Offline Phil.8

• Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2018, 11:21:49 AM »
Yes remote desktop connection and yep it works , just have to re enter it each time

Wally may explain it better, I am a dummy with this stuff

Offline Seanus

• ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2018, 11:35:31 AM »
Same for me now.  >:(
Has an update just toggled on the lock screen? (I'll try it myself later)
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2018, 11:41:25 AM »
Sounds like it could be issue with your PC, not the server. Maybe you should try this on your PC. (The PC connecting to the server)

Maybe start by checking this. This is just a copy from the URL listed just below. You can just scroll down a little bit on that page, I think it's the fourth picture on that page and this writing pasted below is just above that 4th pic. Check the policies on your PC to make sure it's allowing for saved credentials.

Local Computer Policy ➞ Computer Configuration ➞ Administrative Templates ➞ Windows Components ➞ Remote Desktop Services ➞ Remote Desktop Connection Client

Prompt for credentials on the client computer
        Do not allow passwords to be saved

https://superuser.com/questions/604483/windows-7-remote-desktop-connection-save-credentials-not-working

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2018, 12:14:34 PM »
It's happening to all of us, so I reckon it's a server issue.

I have started using this Microsoft tool to connect to the server:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44989

This  doesn't prompt me twice for the password and is generally very useful especially if you log on to more than one remote server.

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2018, 12:57:49 PM »
It's happening to all of us, so I reckon it's a server issue.

I have started using this Microsoft tool to connect to the server:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44989

This  doesn't prompt me twice for the password and is generally very useful especially if you log on to more than one remote server.

Yeah that's also another option, is to install the more manageable version of Microsoft's remote tool.

The standard tool should still be ok to use. Just check your policies. I know it's happening with more people, but I still see it as the more likely issue.
I've seen RDP save credentials one day then not the next, work on one PC and not the next even though both were imaged together. I've never really cared about it much but it's just a problem I've seen pop up time and time again.
I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft pushes changes in with some of their updates. Remember v1803 has been released deployed for Win10 as well, maybe policies were updated with that update?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal