Xtreme Gaming Network

F1 2019

Author Topic: F1 2019  (Read 35144 times)

Offline Dave O

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: F1 2019
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 10:34:03 AM »
Nice interview.. Really hope he goes well with Renault.
NEVER TOO OLD TO RACE ... being competitive can be a PROBLEM though.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 12:58:24 PM »
It's a BIG risk leaving Newey, the greatest designer ever. :-\

2+2=√16

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 02:11:05 PM »
Hey guys!!  Been very busy at work and it looks like the situation is not getting better but....but....i would love to come down in melbourne for the gp .........i had a ball last year....we see finger crossed!!!   I d like to catch up with Phil and pay him a beer or 2 also....lololol

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 05:12:31 PM »
looking forward Simone,  shame we missed last year,  I somehow didn't even see I had a message from you until I was leaving on the Monday :(

I think a few of us are going to catch up on the Friday evening at Taco Bill on Clarendon St just down the road from gate 3, AB156 has enticed us with  "horrible tex-mex and cheap frozen margaritas"   ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8)

then next morning this is how we will all feel   :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :o :o :o :o :o :( :( :( :( :( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 09:31:42 AM »

Final day times
Vettel (Ferrari) 1:16.221 (110 laps) C5 tyre
Hamilton (Mercedes) 1:16.224 (61) C5 tyre
Bottas (Mercedes) 1:16.561 (71)
Hulkenberg (Renault) 1:16.843 (51)
Kvyat (Toro Rosso) 1:16.898 (131)
Sainz (McLaren) 1:16.913 (134)
Grosjean (Haas) 1:17.076 (73)
Ricciardo (Renault) 1:17.114 (52)
Raikkonen (Alfa Romeo) 1:17.239 (132)
Magnussen (Haas) 1:17.565 (94)
Verstappen (Red Bull) 1:17.709 (29)
Perez (Racing Point) 1:17.791 (104)
Kubica (Williams) 1:18.993 (90)
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 08:29:51 AM »
Pierre Gasly, Valtteri Bottas and Sebastian Vettel in 2019 Barcelona testing

So later today preseason testing will be over and the reality of Melbourne beckons.

What we’ve seen from the two weeks of Barcelona is a Ferrari that appears viceless, poised – and very quick, a car that’s hit the track running.

The Honda-powered Red Bull looks somewhere around as competitive as last year’s Renault-powered car, while Mercedes seems to have struggled to consistently find the W10’s sweet spot and though it has proved ultimately capable of lapping within a couple of tenths of the Ferrari, it’s taken a bit of sweat to get it there.

We await to see how Honda’s qualifying modes compare with those of Ferrari and Merc, for that is going to be key to Red Bull’s prospects of sustaining a genuine title challenge

Lewis Hamilton ultimately got to within thousandths of Sebastian Vettel’s best time – but this was as the Ferrari was sidelined with an electrical issue. This – and Valtteri Bottas’s pace in the morning of the final day – suggested Mercedes had made progress in understanding the heavily updated aero package it brought for week 2, but the Ferrari pace seemed to come easier.   

We can bet on Mercedes finding answers in the two available weeks – but enough to challenge the red cars? Lewis Hamilton inevitably brings a chunk of lap time in his own personal performance around Albert Park – he’s regularly been up to 0.6sec faster than his team-mate there, regardless of who that is.

With its shorter corners, it’s a place where a driver can find more than at Barcelona from taking the car by the scruff of its neck. But as things stand as of today, even Hamilton’s hustle might not be enough.

This time last year Mercedes was heading to Australia with what appeared to be marginally the quickest car. Hamilton then set a devastating pole lap from out of nowhere but subsequent races suggested that was more driver than car and that the actual advantage was negligible or non-existent. This time it would be very difficult to read the testing times in a way that suggested Ferrari wasn’t the quickest by a small but significant margin.

Charles Leclerc’s Thursday time of 1min 16.2sec on the softest tyre (C5) came on a short, light-fuel, run. This was matched by Vettel on Friday. Bottas on a C4 that Pirelli reckons to be 0.6sec slower took his Merc around in 1min 16.6sec – so potentially a faster time even than Ferrari if that tyre offset is accurate for the Merc.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 08:33:26 AM »
Max Verstappen in the Red Bull in 2019 Barcelona preseason testing

Ferrari comfortably led in the race simulations (by an average of around 0.3sec), where the Red Bull was comparably fast to the Mercedes – but again, let’s acknowledge the raw processing and brain power that will be being unleashed on the W10 between now and then.

We await to see how Honda’s qualifying modes compare with those of Ferrari and Merc, for that is going to be key to the team’s prospects of sustaining a genuine title challenge.

For all that we’ve seen several of the ‘midfield’ teams set the best headline times of the day, it was invariably done by having a softer compound of tyre fitted than the big boys. There still appears to be a significant gap between the top three and a very tightly-bunched group comprising Renault, Haas, Toro Rosso, Alfa Romeo, McLaren and Racing Point.

There really seems only around 0.5sec between the front of this group and the back (i.e. between seventh and 18th!) so the actual order will be pretty volatile and probably dependent upon who hooks it up best at the critical time.

Bringing up the rear pretty solidly (around 1.2sec off the penultimate) is Williams but initial feedback from the drivers suggests its problems are not as fundamental as those of last year’s disastrous car.

Without knowing precise fuel load comparisons, here’s our take of one-lap pace as things stood heading into the final day, based not only on the actual times but the circumstances:
Gap    Team
0sec    Ferrari

0.3sec    Mercedes

0.2sec    Red Bull

0.4sec    Renault

0.1sec    Haas
     Toro Rosso
     Alfa Romeo
     McLaren
     Racing Point

1.2sec    Williams

And just for those who are about to pipe up with ‘you can’t tell anything from testing’, yes you’re probably right up to a point. But let’s take a look at how we called it at the end of testing this time last year – and compare to the grid we got in Melbourne.
     MS 2018 testing analysis    2018 Melbourne Grid
1    Mercedes    Mercedes
2    Ferrari    Ferrari
3    Red Bull    Red Bull
     Big Gap    Big Gap
4    Renault    Haas
5    Haas    Renault
6    McLaren    McLaren
     Gap    Gap
7    Toro Rosso    Force India
8    Williams    Willliams
9    Force India    Toro Rosso
10    Sauber    Sauber

Not spot-on, but pretty close – and we even tipped Force India to be more competitive in Melbourne than they had been in testing and that there was very little to choose between Renault, Haas and McLaren. The test times do mean something if you read them carefully.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2019, 06:26:51 PM »
cant wait to see what happens in Melbourne, should be very interesting
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 01:41:21 PM »
If you want to get in the mood, check out Drive to Survive, if you have access to Netflix (or other sources  ;) ).
I've only watched 2 episodes, but it's not over exaggerated for a US audience (which I expected and something Steve Irwin exploited) but very informative.
Focusing (so far) on background stories (no Mercedes or Ferrari yet) you do see behind the scenes, with team members cursing and definitely not sticking to 'corporate speak'. ;D

Got my weekend booked. 8)

2+2=√16

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 06:49:04 PM »
Agreed I watched the first 3 episodes last night and will watch a few more later

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 07:36:32 PM »
6 of 10 done, and it's starting to look like a promotion of the midfield.
Makes sense, drumming up support for the "B-teams" when Liberty are looking to introduce a budget cap/re-distribution of funds.
I support it, better to have 10 elite teams rather than 3 elite and 7 struggling.
(and it's taking away negotiation strength from Ferrari & Mercedes as fans follow the midfield story, ie. play on the under-dog sympathy) 8)

2+2=√16

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 01:45:35 PM »
I think a few of us are going to catch up on the Friday evening at Taco Bill on Clarendon St just down the road from gate 3, AB156 has enticed us with  "horrible tex-mex and cheap frozen margaritas"   ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) 8)

then next morning this is how we will all feel   :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :o :o :o :o :o :( :( :( :( :( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Ahhh, the Margarita's, you gotta come for the Margarita's  :o :o - oh, and the hot sauce of course  ;D ;D
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 02:21:51 PM »

Ahhh, the Margarita's, you gotta come for the Margarita's  :o :o - oh, and the hot sauce of course  ;D ;D

Ah wish I was coming. I haven't been since 2010 as my first daughter was born on the 18th so her birthday weekend is always that weekend.... One day I'll just bring her with me  ;D

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 03:04:40 PM »
I have a ticket to some Friday night gala, but I think you might need a tie for that (which I don't have), so Margarita's sounds like a good alternative. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 05:32:20 PM »
I have a ticket to some Friday night gala, but I think you might need a tie for that (which I don't have), so Margarita's sounds like a good alternative. ;)
Margies would be much more fun
😎

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal