Xtreme Gaming Network

Pedals........ its time for a change

Author Topic: Pedals........ its time for a change  (Read 13712 times)

Offline Captain Slow

• View Profile
Pedals........ its time for a change
« on: September 08, 2019, 09:43:34 AM »
Howdy y'all

I've only recently found this website/forum and have been blown away by the content and the people on here. So, in my moment of need I turn to those who take their racing as seriously as I would like to.

I'm currently having some growing problems with my good ol Logitech G920 pedals. They have, since moving from driving solely on XBOX to now only on PC, been ripped from their original housing, inverted on my DIY wooden POS cockpit, uninverted on my better POS PVC cockpit to now currently residing on my Next Level Racing F1/GT setup. The springs have all been changed from the stock to a firmer spring of my personal preference (Thank you Bunnings). They have seen a great deal of work (including a full length Bathurst 1000 done in my sweltering garage in January - 47 degrees C the missus tells me the clock said) and have performed all the tasks that I asked of them.

Until now.

Now, for whatever reason the Sim Gods have chosen, they are showing their age and starting to be problematic. Latest issue, brake pedal at 50% constantly. I can dial that out by playing around with the calibration in-game but the "feel" of the pedal whilst racing is absolutely horrendous so I have come to the conclusion its time for an upgrade.

Can I get your thoughts on which/whos/what you would get if you were in my shoes without having to get a second mortgage. If it matters I'm steering with a Thrustmaster T300.

Cheers

Scott
Previously known as Superfast
Now known as Captain Slow

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Pedals........ its time for a change
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 10:29:47 AM »
I have the Fanatec CSL Elite with load cell. The feel is very good (especially the load cell brake), but the pedals use pots which are starting to show a lot of spiking, and need tinkering with deadzones to remove the spikes.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 11:10:31 AM »
I have the CSL Elite pedals and can confirm the brake feels great.
The throttle pot on the other hand has seen better days.
11% dead zone at the bottom and 43% at the top, doesn't leave much to play with.

2+2=√16

Offline Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 11:46:58 AM »
@ChoiceOZ Change the POTs. Can't tell you where to source suitable ones, but as you have the pedals apart changing them out should present no trouble. And if your handy figure out a way to put 'boots' on\over the POTs to keep the dust out.
@Others If the POTs are just getting dust in them then 'electrical' contact cleaner might fix 'em.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 11:50:50 AM by GzeroD »
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 04:17:40 PM »
I have the CSL Elite pedals, and because the brake needs a lot of force to depress, even at the easiest setting, you really need a cockpit or something solid to mount them.  I have them mounted on my Wheelstand Pro and every time I brake it tips the wheelstand forward.

Other than that, TBH I don't really notice much difference between these and the G27 pedals with the GTEye spring mod.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 05:22:57 PM »
I have the CSL Elite pedals, and because the brake needs a lot of force to depress, even at the easiest setting, you really need a cockpit or something solid to mount them.  I have them mounted on my Wheelstand Pro and every time I brake it tips the wheelstand forward.

Other than that, TBH I don't really notice much difference between these and the G27 pedals with the GTEye spring mod.
You can calibrate your max pedal either in the driver software or in-game, I think mine is about 50% in game because my chair is wheels lol

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 12:37:55 PM »

Exactly.  Even with my old potmeter pedal I'm sometimes rolling back - and this is on a piece of reasonably thick carpet I've bought for this very reason.  (i.e. to increase rolling resistance for both regular work-time & driving)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 02:00:39 PM »

Surprised at that. Going from GTEye modded G27 pedals to CSV2 with load cell was one of the biggest step ups in gear for me. Made a huge difference. Maybe you should plug the G27's back in and see if that's true or just how you remember them  :P

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 03:18:54 PM »

Surprised at that. Going from GTEye modded G27 pedals to CSV2 with load cell was one of the biggest step ups in gear for me. Made a huge difference. Maybe you should plug the G27's back in and see if that's true or just how you remember them  :P
Same for me, far less lock ups, smoother application and ease on/off brakes. However I'd imagine for an alien all that is done with ease no matter the hardware.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 09:04:50 PM »
I have the Fanatec CSL Elite with load cell. The feel is very good (especially the load cell brake), but the pedals use pots which are starting to show a lot of spiking, and need tinkering with deadzones to remove the spikes.
Wally and Bacchulum, I have the same problem. Have just ordered replacement pot from Fanatec. $25 incl shipping.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 10:38:13 PM »
Wally and Bacchulum, I have the same problem. Have just ordered replacement pot from Fanatec. $25 incl shipping.
Ah, excellent - is that from the fanatec AU web site directly?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 05:02:39 AM »
Yes. I raised a support ticket and the support guy just ordered for me and I paid with PayPal.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 06:42:22 AM »
Funny that they don't just make it a part you can order yourself.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal