Xtreme Gaming Network

Bathurst - 15-MAY-2016 Fixed Setup

Author Topic: Bathurst - 15-MAY-2016 Fixed Setup  (Read 13008 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Bathurst - 15-MAY-2016 Fixed Setup
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 11:28:52 PM »
I blame Phil. He's has to do the fixed setups for everyone so should have set hards for us all ;)

I think its better having an open strategy but seeing over 19 laps and a stop being about 26 seconds there. Going half distance and stopping would mean you need to gain about 1.5 seconds per lap over the entire distance on that strategy and as Phil only got 4.5 on me the first half distance it didnt look like it was going to happen unless the hards properly fell to pieces. I wonder how bad the mediums would have got over the 19 laps but unless it would cause a spin it still would likely have been faster no stop on mediums as you need to gain 26 seconds to make up for the stop in the last 9 or 10 laps which is not likely I think.

That strategy would likely be slower then hards as they likely would have been costing 2 or 3 seconds per lap in the second half and for me the hards were getting quicker as the fuel was being burned away. This is the sort of racing I prefer compared to the exaggerated wear and fuel burn we have ran some tuesdays.

It would be even better in a larger field and a longer distance where a 1 stop on paper would be quicker but youd need to deal with traffic. Looking at the lap charts Phil ran a very solid and consistant pace but sadly the strategy turned out to be quite a bit slower.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 12:07:40 AM »
Nope - open strategy is not best for this race, which was an extension of the Thursday night sessions. It was a fun run and if we had known Hards were the correct tires everyone would have done that. That is what makes it a fun night. The whole idea of fixed setups is to help make the racing a bit easier and relaxed. Hence more fun.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 12:10:07 AM »
 PS. Actually it was Slideways who insisted on make tires selectable! So it was all HIS FAULT. Or was it Flattop who did that???  AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 09:20:17 AM »
ME? nah, well I don't think it was me  ???

Well I ran the hard tyres after extensive testing pre qual, and oppted for the one tank, one set of tyres ... and picked up some spots as other pitted, but, with the addition of getting tired, (no pun intended), loosing concentration and the tyres going off a little, a few more mistakes set in and hit a few objects and an odd spin :(

Short analysis:
Worked hard
had fun
finished (well 1 lap down)
like the Mercedes
will do it again.
pity the dropins caused problems, I think the take away is:

PIR Report:
if multiple sprints, leave the server open
if a long hard race, that has a larger commitment, password the race night event.

Thanks all for the fun, good turn up for an "odd night" event.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 09:43:52 AM »
I agree Bruce ,longer hard races, password the server.
I guess I never thought I could 19 laps at Bathurst without crashing but I did, a badge of honour.
It would have been a lot more fun with a lot more people but fun anyway.
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 09:53:26 AM »
Could have had a couple of "safety cars" to bunch the field. Perhaps for the next long race?

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 10:21:40 AM »
but, with the addition of getting tired, (no pun intended), loosing concentration and the tyres going off a little, a few more mistakes set in and hit a few objects and an odd spin :(

Short analysis:
Worked hard
had fun
finished (well 1 lap down)
like the Mercedes
will do it again.
pity the dropins caused problems, I think the take away is:

PIR Report:
if multiple sprints, leave the server open
if a long hard race, that has a larger commitment, password the race night event.

Thanks all for the fun, good turn up for an "odd night" event.

Almost a report on my race :) Concentration was not quite up to the merc's rear tires which caused a number of spins on the exit of corners. Almost caught Gratulin for the last podium but I made a couple of mistakes and he did not. Well driven Gratulin

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 02:28:47 PM »
Could have had a couple of "safety cars" to bunch the field. Perhaps for the next long race?

Sorry I missed the race guys, but I had forgotten all about it and by the time I remembered I checked the server and there was only a few minutes of Qualie left. No practice at the "Mountain" seemed like a recipe for disaster so I gave it a miss.

I used to race in a league of American guys back in the days of GPL and they had a policy of a compulsory "safety" car at half distance. Their main focus was fun and the bunching up of the field at half distance certainly added to that. Highly recommended.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 09:10:20 PM »

I think that just turns a longer race into multiple sprint races, If there were actual safety cars then it would be interesting as it would be an unknown and would greatly effect race strategy. But if there was just random or preset safety car periods it would just mean there is no reward for longer run consistancy and you would go for more stops as the net loss would only be a few positions compared to 25 seconds.

Id like to do more longer races in the future but even this I think could have been a few laps longer to get at least 1 hour out of it.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 09:27:52 PM »

I think that just turns a longer race into multiple sprint races, If there were actual safety cars then it would be interesting as it would be an unknown and would greatly effect race strategy. But if there was just random or preset safety car periods it would just mean there is no reward for longer run consistancy and you would go for more stops as the net loss would only be a few positions compared to 25 seconds.

Id like to do more longer races in the future but even this I think could have been a few laps longer to get at least 1 hour out of it.
I think you're talking about Tuesday races. This is for Thursday "FUN" nights. Thursdays do restarts, safety cars, share setups etc etc...makes it more enjoyable and less stress...

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 12:47:39 AM »
I thought it was a sunday enduro fun run not a Tuesday or Thursday. Not much point sharing a setup if its a fixed one either. Seems this probably isnt what I was looking for then and I will just leave you guys to it. ;)

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 08:24:49 AM »
I'm not sure how often the Sunday's runs are/will be on, but we will miss you Marty.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal