Xtreme Gaming Network

Author Topic: Sign up - May 9 Nords Enduro  (Read 66623 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Sign up - May 9 Nords Enduro
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2017, 09:10:03 PM »

Wally is also not going to have tyre blankets on race night so its not going to get any easier.

So you want to create more opportunity for turn 1 and 2 pileups and multiple restarts and too many offs for drivers that will most likely quit in the first lap because it will be too hard. It's going to be hard enough a race as it is, you're just making it harder especially for those with less experience on the track...

this is supposed to be a "fun run" and you're turning into a serious event... why don't you just have 100% damage while you're at it and then we can all quit in the first lap and Marty can lap by himself.
It's so that if you come up to someone who's just exited pits on cold tyres, you have a chance to pass them while they're vulnerable. That's more fun. A challenge is fun and more rewarding. Otherwise, we'd just be playing pCars.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2017, 09:18:37 PM »

Wally is also not going to have tyre blankets on race night so its not going to get any easier.

So you want to create more opportunity for turn 1 and 2 pileups and multiple restarts and too many offs for drivers that will most likely quit in the first lap because it will be too hard. It's going to be hard enough a race as it is, you're just making it harder especially for those with less experience on the track...

this is supposed to be a "fun run" and you're turning into a serious event... why don't you just have 100% damage while you're at it and then we can all quit in the first lap and Marty can lap by himself.
It's so that if you come up to someone who's just exited pits on cold tyres, you have a chance to pass them while they're vulnerable. That's more fun. A challenge is fun and more rewarding. Otherwise, we'd just be playing pCars.

While I get that and agree its a stronger possibility for a pass to happen, I am looking bigger picture.. this is no small circuit and by looking at the threads comments and others in the server etc not a lot of people know the track as well as you or marty. I really think a fair few people will struggle with tyre warmers off because they wont know the track as well..  Hell I've done 1000s of laps around nords with tom and we both still come off with momentary lapses of concentration on an optimal track. All it takes is hitting a ripple strip wrong and you're off and in most cases all you have in front of you is a wall you are going to bounce off of.. Please put a poll up about tyre blankets on or off.. And see what the people think that are actually going to race on it.
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2017, 09:38:40 PM »
Nords for me is always a special event, its not about winning or even competing for top positions as the time, effort and talent required to be competitive is just too much. In addition as a race track it is just too narrow to be practical. Its about staying on track, a challenge of  accuracy and concentration.

It is the closes thing I can afford to a real life experience of the Ring and so I would prefer realistic settings. Thus 100% damage and no tire warmers are fine by me. I will likely be lapped by Marty and Co but it does not matter since it is not a league race and there are no points award.   ;D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2017, 11:15:13 PM »
Guess I'll try and join this one but as I've hardly driven nords it will most likely be more a 2 hour hotlap session than a race for me. Still, a good way to learn the track better.
I know the track quite well, having run a few races here. It's a good feeling to get to know the track, a nice one to have in your repertoire.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2017, 11:31:06 PM »

Well if you go back in the thread you can see tyre blankets was not my decision. And seeing a few others struggle to even post a laptime is why I suggested maybe best to have them on. For me personally it makes no difference either way and I can see both sides but I dont think they use tyre blankets in the 24hr or vln series here.

Early pile ups will likely happen with or without blankets as its not so hard to back off a little at the start of a 2 hour race. Many dont or arent that aware in traffic which is more of an issue then tyres. Over the race tyres will go away so its something that needs to be dealt with in an enduro, if people cant manage non optimal tyres lap 1 how are they going to go at the end of a stint?

This is a fun run but its also a sim and the more realism we can add then the better. There is no point just turning off all damage, wear, fuel, etc to run an endurance race as there are no longer any endurance elements.

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2017, 12:57:51 AM »

Well if you go back in the thread you can see tyre blankets was not my decision. And seeing a few others struggle to even post a laptime is why I suggested maybe best to have them on. For me personally it makes no difference either way and I can see both sides but I dont think they use tyre blankets in the 24hr or vln series here.

Early pile ups will likely happen with or without blankets as its not so hard to back off a little at the start of a 2 hour race. Many dont or arent that aware in traffic which is more of an issue then tyres. Over the race tyres will go away so its something that needs to be dealt with in an enduro, if people cant manage non optimal tyres lap 1 how are they going to go at the end of a stint?

This is a fun run but its also a sim and the more realism we can add then the better. There is no point just turning off all damage, wear, fuel, etc to run an endurance race as there are no longer any endurance elements.

I know it was not your decision, I haven't posted a proper lap time on your server yet.. I don't want to make it arcade, just ease off the realism a touch to give people a chance.. and yes I'm not looking forward to the first 2 corners and impatient drivers who lack awareness causing a mass pileup, but sadly it's bound to happen. I just don't think it needs to be too serious, if it was in a league season then fine..  I'd like to see regular enduros in a season on nords, spa, lemans and a few others, at least 1 per season that go for minimum 1hr or more.. to finish off a season..
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2017, 07:44:29 AM »
People just have to drive with a little more caution at the start, which is always true. More than ever, a 2 hr race is not going to be won in the first few corners!

If there is carnage, we can do restarts.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2017, 08:17:04 AM »
People just have to drive with a little more caution at the start, which is always true. More than ever, a 2 hr race is not going to be won in the first few corners!

If there is carnage, we can do restarts.

I dont think not having tyre blankets has made any difference to lap 1 contacts this season, would hope most people can manage to get around t1 without too much carnage in a 2 hr race too.

Rolz

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2017, 08:38:22 AM »
First half a dozen corners we all should know like the back of our hand now being part of the Nurburgring

It's certainly wide enough so we can *hopefully* avoid any first corner hero's before we actually enter the Nordschleife... and the field should be already a bit more spread out...

Tire warmers off are a challenge for sure, and will be even tougher with hards on, but hey this is 2 hours of racing...

I'm under no illusions that most, if not all, will be doing some pit time for repairs... recalculating fuel stops etc because of this will be another challenge too!! :)

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2017, 12:24:22 PM »
Optus are doing upgrades on the day of May 9 in my area. Please put me down as a maybe pending the results of the upgrades. Porsche 911 RSR 2017 please.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2017, 02:21:56 PM »
First half a dozen corners we all should know like the back of our hand now being part of the Nurburgring

It's certainly wide enough so we can *hopefully* avoid any first corner hero's before we actually enter the Nordschleife... and the field should be already a bit more spread out...

Most of the real life race video's I've seen had some really crazy accidents in that T1/T2 complex     ;D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2017, 03:35:05 PM »
I'm under no illusions that most, if not all, will be doing some pit time for repairs... recalculating fuel stops etc because of this will be another challenge too!! :)

My plan is to have no need for repairs but not making an error myself at Nords in this distance will be a big challenge. Its easy to get caught up in someone elses accident too. My plan A strategy could be more like a wishful thinking, calcultions will need to be made on the run most likely. Luckily you get the big straight before the pits to adjust strategy as the other 7 minutes or so are a bit too busy to play with the pit app.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:00:35 PM by marty »

Rolz

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2017, 03:37:20 PM »
Very true! That straight helps 😊

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2017, 06:31:01 PM »
I just did a full 2 hour race simulation  ::) and it went to plan A this time, with traffic it will be a challenge but I just wanted to see if I could manage a clean run over the distance on an empty track.

http://52.65.162.16:50041/sessiondetails?playerInSessionId=43340#

1 stop on mediums seems not bad, here I ran as far as I could on a full tank then added just enough fuel to get the full distance which ended up at 15 laps. First stint was more getting the feel for the car plus extra fuel and worn tyres at the end I just didn't want to make any mistakes. After the stop I pushed on a bit more with pretty much qualy type laps to the finish seeing if I could hang on at a faster pace if needed.

Maybe the actual race will go much worse also I don't know which car I will run yet but the Audi feels a pretty good all rounder and my setup is pretty neutral going to a bit understeery at the end as the front tyres stay a bit under temp most of the way and get some graining. The extra grip feel you get from the last lap on a set to the first few laps on a new set is pretty cool and gives lots more confidence in the car.

Rolz

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2017, 06:35:21 PM »
Looks like it'll be a battle for Second  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal