Xtreme Gaming Network

Poll: How did you like the damage restrictor?

Poll

How did you like the damage restrictor?

Liked it - would use it again
7 (46.7%)
Liked it - but prefer less restrictor
3 (20%)
Didn't like it - don't use it again
4 (26.7%)
Some other variation...
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Poll: How did you like the damage restrictor?  (Read 6113 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Poll: How did you like the damage restrictor?
« on: February 07, 2018, 08:09:35 PM »
The intention was twofold: the main intention was to make people exercise a little more caution and try to avoid contacts, to avoid the consequence of getting some restrictor in the next race, to add a little more drama to the "Oh shit, am I going to hit the wall" moments. The secondary intention was to mix the field up a little, where a fast guy might have copped some damage and been a little slower in the next race.

I wouldn't use damage restrictor every season - e.g. when there's already some kind of speed-based ballast or restrictor, it would bugger it up to then add more restrictor.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
Re: Poll: How did you like the damage restrictor?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 08:46:21 PM »
I think it works for making people more cautious, kinda lol but it was annoying at times when you were minding your own business and got caught up in someones moment and then received a huge restrictor making your car useless down the straight in race 3 lol. What kind of got me about it all though is that from a mechanical stand point it doesnt make sense that the car loses hp from a hit, usually after a hit the structure and alignment of the car would be affected therefor the handling and feel of it so for me it would make more sense if you did a weight penalty since that would focus more on the handling of the car.
do you even motorsports?

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 09:03:41 PM »
There are two sides to it imo.
It increases realism and I would think it makes people more cautious in general.
That's the good things about it.
The tricky bit is it includes contacts with fellow racers and based on the nature of this rule it affects both, the guy causing the incident and the guy who is just in the way, in the same way. It obviously is disappointing getting your race messed up and on top of that  being slowed down for the next race.
I was on 35% after race 2 yesterday. Not 100% sure, but I would think the main contribution to this was Phil shooting me into Freezer...that's 2 impacts.
How about a compromise, what if you just half the restrictor? That way the effect is still there, but victims are punished a bit less...I know the restrictor will become less efficient that way...again, it's a compromise.
However, I do think it could be added on top of a speed restrictor imo.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:09:23 PM by killagorilla »

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 10:44:06 PM »
Killa, it's not a penalty restriction for causing damage (Wally's ballast does that), it's just a consequence of contact (however that should occur).
I liked it as it added, and rewarded, caution (at times ;) )

2+2=√16

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 07:04:24 AM »
I like it when it sounds realistic: multiple races with lower-end race cars  or track day cars.

I would dislike it when unrealistic: very high-end race cars or if it were to be from week to week.

All in all: I like everything that makes me feel I am doing what "they" do. That's why I am concerned about the scoring rules about time gaps... I thought that managing risks in the last laps was part of the game. I do it almost on purpose: "they" do it---can I? Similarly with the restrictors: does it make sense that with this car, this race, and this series, I am having troubles because of something that happened in the last race? If so, then I like it. Otherwise it feels artificial.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 08:17:50 AM »
I like it when it sounds realistic: multiple races with lower-end race cars  or track day cars.

I would dislike it when unrealistic: very high-end race cars or if it were to be from week to week.

All in all: I like everything that makes me feel I am doing what "they" do. That's why I am concerned about the scoring rules about time gaps... I thought that managing risks in the last laps was part of the game. I do it almost on purpose: "they" do it---can I? Similarly with the restrictors: does it make sense that with this car, this race, and this series, I am having troubles because of something that happened in the last race? If so, then I like it. Otherwise it feels artificial.

Interesting points. I do like to make it as relsitic as possible for the most part, following real world rules and regulations and considerations. But sometimes I think we can do things that they can't do in real life, like give funny odd amounts of ballast for speed gaps, restrictor on the fly etc. We have more flexibility to try some different things in the game.

The time gaps should encourage people to drive hard to the end instead of backing off, to try to stretch gaps or get as close as possible to the car in front, and that's a good thing. Maybe they should do that in real life too :)

It's unfortunate (and unavoidable) that both parties get penalised, but I can't tell who's fault it was from the server. It just says these two cars collided. But then, in real life, when two cars collide, they both get damage,  not just the guy who's fault it was.

We could try tiny amounts of ballast instead of restrictor, say only up to 10kg. Ballast has a much bigger effect than restrictor though, so it would have to be little increments, but that's doable.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 11:37:28 AM »
All up it was a good season.  I think the damage made people more cautious.  I know I was, I had minimal contacts (my fault that is) all season.
But as people have said it did suck when someone cleans you up then you have damage for the next race . . . but for the intended realism that was fair.
Would do it again... :)

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 03:15:13 PM »
I liked the idea but have the same concerns regarding receiving restrictor penalties for contact that had little to do with me.

There are better ways to do it but not in the short time frames between races. Time penalties are a fairer system for guilty parties as they actually effect race results. The problem with this is that the time involved to review the incidents would take quite some time and is just not fair to the administrators. For the most part, the system is a good step forward but maybe review the impact speeds to restrictor ratio. Collision speeds under  50kph depending on the impact point and the object you hit, are superficial at best and usually just have some bolt on panels changed which generally would be done in less than an hour by any team. Higher speed impacts like should definitely carry a penalty of some sort.

It a matter of balance and practicality, like anything, and would depend largely on the information available regarding the impacts.

Just my opinion

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 04:46:09 PM »
The way I'm reading it so far is that it's worth doing again some time, but with less restrictor and only for collisions above a higher speed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal