Xtreme Gaming Network

S11R1: Barbagallo post-race chat

Author Topic: S11R1: Barbagallo post-race chat  (Read 29614 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: S11R1: Barbagallo post-race chat
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 07:50:24 AM »
Sorry all - had a shocker.

I'm a menace in the car...  :-[

Will be back next season... I'm out.
Give it another go Rolz. It's  tight pack racing, in a fairly slow car where impacts don't do much damage. It's immense fun. Barbagallo is one of the shorter, more congested tracks in the season.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 07:59:07 AM »
Hi Wally: can you explain how the reverse grid for race 3 works? I see Phil arrived 8th in Race 2 and started 8th in race 3, while Gb arrived 2nd in Race 2 and started 21st in race 3...

It's a little hard to see here, because in the results, I took out the spurious jump start penalties, but when the grids were set, there were a bunch of jump start penalties that pushed some people down the order when they got 20 second penalties. Once I get rid of those junk jump starts, it should be clearer.
I am not sure... I mean: I know I arrived after Phil in Race 2. But I also know I started behind Phil in Race 3. I mean: I saw this live with my own eyes, not from the results ;)

No polemics here, of course. I am loving the new format. I am just wondering whether we are doing something wrong.

Yes, but his finishing position was skewed in race2 by 20s penalty.  So the program thought he actually finished *after* you (with the added 20s penalty).  Hence his starting in front of you in the 3rd race.

p.s. sorry, I've edited your msg instead of reply, first.
Oh, I see: the grid is done automatically and therefore thought that Phil arrived, say, 14th, after taking into account a false start penalty. But actually he did not do any false start in Race 2, so you can manually get rid of that for the Race 2 results now, but could not intervene in time to reset the grid for Race 3. Makes sense now. Thank you ;)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 08:24:21 AM »
Wally, what happened with the rear-end on me in Race 1 on the last corner lap 6, I think? Didn't show up in he contact report?

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 08:39:28 AM »
Very average night for me. Busy weekend mean't I was a bit under prepped for this race and it showed. I normally love Barbagallo but I didn't have much pace here last night, still twerking tweaking with traction control and setup.
Tapped Bird in race 2, he nearly got it recovered but got cleaned up by the oncoming pack. Race over by the time that was all sorted.
Ahhh well, shit happens and I blame Marty's replays, Rolz's rage quit and GB's new head set.  :P

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 09:23:34 AM »
Wally, what happened with the rear-end on me in Race 1 on the last corner lap 6, I think? Didn't show up in he contact report?
I don't know without looking at the replay.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 09:25:02 AM »
Hi Wally: can you explain how the reverse grid for race 3 works? I see Phil arrived 8th in Race 2 and started 8th in race 3, while Gb arrived 2nd in Race 2 and started 21st in race 3...

It's a little hard to see here, because in the results, I took out the spurious jump start penalties, but when the grids were set, there were a bunch of jump start penalties that pushed some people down the order when they got 20 second penalties. Once I get rid of those junk jump starts, it should be clearer.
I am not sure... I mean: I know I arrived after Phil in Race 2. But I also know I started behind Phil in Race 3. I mean: I saw this live with my own eyes, not from the results ;)

No polemics here, of course. I am loving the new format. I am just wondering whether we are doing something wrong.

Yes, but his finishing position was skewed in race2 by 20s penalty.  So the program thought he actually finished *after* you (with the added 20s penalty).  Hence his starting in front of you in the 3rd race.

Oh, I see: the grid is done automatically and therefore thought that Phil arrived, say, 14th, after taking into account a false start penalty. But actually he did not do any false start in Race 2, so you can manually get rid of that for the Race 2 results now, but could not intervene in time to reset the grid for Race 3. Makes sense now. Thank you ;)
Yes. I'll still try and get rid of those pesky fake jump starts from the previous session.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 09:29:14 AM »

Yes. I'll still try and get rid of those pesky fake jump starts from the previous session.
When we did some practice starts last season and you were publishing contact reports, contact reports from the practice starts were reported as in lap 1 of the actual race. So it seems that the issue might be at a deeper level than just PLP.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 10:11:07 AM »
With the false jump starts maybe you can avoid those at the session change over by filteringnout the early pnes way before the actual start.

I havent really looked at the log file but assume all jumps are timecoded and all the false ones seemed to be as the session skipped over to race. Seeing the start is about 60 seconds after the race session starts maybe you could just filter out all jump starts or collisions in the report in the first 30 seconds of the race session.

Also here is a full replay from race 2, this was quite a fun race but finishing behind GB wasnt the plan. I was nearly clean except for giving freezer a little nudge as je slowed for a slower car ahead into the esses. I then gave GB a slight bump into the apex of the last turn while trying to hang on around the outside.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:30:40 AM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 10:22:41 AM »
I'll look at it. I'm well familiar with the code ;)

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2016, 10:42:12 AM »
Fun night  ;D

For so called reverse grid races I spent an extraordinary amount of time battling exactly the same people! Don't know how many times I passed/got passed by Hylas!  Results were worse than expected after being caught out in other peoples accidents in race 2 and 3 but even with those incidents the racing was a lot cleaner than I expected.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 11:09:29 AM »
Wasn't overly confident based on practice with these cars however pulled off a decent lap to qualify 10th.
Good a good start in R1 and had a very clean race to come home 8th.
R2 was an excellent race.  Started in 17th and all up got past 10 cars all of which were super clean and close, so a great race.
R3 was not so good. Started 15th but a few laps in got caught up in the big pile up having got to 13 was now in 19th.
Had a small tap from Bacculum which saw us both go round and then spent the rest of the race trying to keep with him.

p.s. having had traction control on by default I suddenly thought to turn it of in r2 and it definitely added a bit more pace.

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2016, 11:26:05 AM »
That's why DaveO hit me at turn 1, surprised by my early braking.

I have to say I think just about every single person has a slightly different approach into turn 1 at that track!

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 11:35:25 AM »
RACE RESULTS

Congratulations to Guybrush, Jeremy and Phil.8 for the race wins, and Guybrush for the round 1.

didn't think I would ever see my name in that list :)  Thank you wallys format :)
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 12:34:06 PM »
With the false jump starts maybe you can avoid those at the session change over by filteringnout the early pnes way before the actual start.

I havent really looked at the log file but assume all jumps are timecoded and all the false ones seemed to be as the session skipped over to race. Seeing the start is about 60 seconds after the race session starts maybe you could just filter out all jump starts or collisions in the report in the first 30 seconds of the race session.

Also here is a full replay from race 2, this was quite a fun race but finishing behind GB wasnt the plan. I was nearly clean except for giving freezer a little nudge as je slowed for a slower car ahead into the esses. I then gave GB a slight bump into the apex of the last turn while trying to hang on around the outside.

Man, I was really unlucky there. And really nothing I can tell to Chap and Bird: they had a minimal side-to-side contact while three-way on the straight. Nothing anybody could do about it. Maybe Bird could have given a little more way to Chap, but I soubt he knew there was a third car on the other side, so.... It just pin-balled the wrong way for me. :(

Had a very good first lap, though. Maybe I am finally getting a bit better in traffic. let's hope it's true.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 01:12:46 PM »
That's why DaveO hit me at turn 1, surprised by my early braking.

I have to say I think just about every single person has a slightly different approach into turn 1 at that track!

Turn 1 there are a few lines but if someone is following you really cant go the wide entry with a late apex as anyone can dive inside brake later and still make the early apex taking yours away completly.

The outside car either gives room or causes a collision and if they give room they are forced wide of the apex making them slower and opens up for others behind so if you leave that space your unlikely to hold that position. Driving on your own the wider entry is probably similar to the tighter one but in traffic unless trying an outside pass always best to hug the inside there and its going to likely be the case in these cars all season.

This inside pass isnt exactly a dive bomb as a dive bomb is coming in way too hot and late, then pushing wide of the apex. So if the inside car then runs into the outside car the collision is clearly their fault but if the lead car is oblivious to traffic and leaves a guge gap on the inside many guys will take that as a nice place donation.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal