Xtreme Gaming Network

S6R2: Silverstone International Race Chat

Author Topic: S6R2: Silverstone International Race Chat  (Read 29089 times)

Rolz

Re: S6R2: Silverstone International Race Chat
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2015, 10:37:33 PM »

Between you and GB, if I'm keeping you visible on my screen I know I'm not doing to badly at this sim  :o

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2015, 11:16:51 PM »
Im just lucky GB is still away and Darren's Rift still isnt race ready.  ;D If Im lucky I will get 1 podium tomorrow but had a fun race with Wobbly and Stan just then holding them off over 5 laps. If the 458 gets close enough it will be quite a nuisance to the DTM's possibly as its a rocket up the back straight.

Offline Wobblyone

• Adrenalin is brown...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2015, 11:27:57 PM »
Yea that 458 hangs around like a bad case of the clap ;). I'm just glad Marty isn't in a Alfa lol

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 12:33:44 AM »
Here is a screen grab from one of the practice races crossing the line on the second last lap, with Stan DTM, Me 458 and Wobbly in the Alfa. Rather close here but the 458 has just enough grunt to get to the line first which is not a bad thing.  ;)

Offline Wobblyone

• Adrenalin is brown...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 12:49:55 AM »
Great shot....didn't realise we were that close...glad I had my eyes closed.  Please don't show the shot where I ram stan after pouring beer don't my crotch ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 07:25:08 AM »
Great finish!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 08:53:02 AM »
Ha ha, top shot Marty!!
I was very happy last night!!  ;D (errr... back to the racing discussion)
My first foray out to multiplayer after re-installing windows n steam over the weekend, my connection seemed solid. Had some wicked fights with Marty n Wobbly and AusMike, very tight, very close, very happy, hoping it stays solid for tonights racings  :D

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 09:01:46 AM »
I could only squeeze out a 1:12 from the F40 in the half an hour praccy yesternight.  But even the wr is a mid-11, so yeah, I'll be comfortably near the rear :)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 09:27:29 AM »
Bird 1.12 is only .5 off my time and if you can get race pace around there it wont be far off the pointy end. The dtm guys will either need to go harder tyres and likely lose a second per lap overall or use the softer ones and fall off the cliff the last few laps. The 458 is fine over the race distance on tyres and f40 likely the same.

If you can stay close to any other car getting onto the back straight its quite likely you will pass it too as the ferraris have a nice speed advantage there.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2015, 09:36:45 AM »
Sorry; let me rephrase that.  My pb was something mid-12, and it was a pb on edge.  The regular laptime was closer to a mid-13. :)
Also; the F40 is not tyre friendly.   Or my driving style.  Or both :)  It does feel a bit sloppier after a few laps.

But my biggest issue is that I need to get used to using some curbs that you simply can't use in racecars; eg T1, the corner to the back straight, and even the last corner combo.  And I've raced this track enough in racecars that I need a complete new mindset now :)

Funnily the exit curb on the s/f straight is not good for health, even in this car.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:40:01 AM by Bird »

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2015, 09:56:48 AM »
I got a 1:12.7 in the 458 last night and a 5 lap race where every lap was in the 1:13s. Pretty happy with that 3 or 4 weeks into sim racing. Am sure the tips from WobblyOne helped, cheers dude!

My screen freezing issue did appear again and seems it was that I had an older version of Helicorsa that was causing it. Put the latest version on and no issues. Hope that is the end of it now, been dragging on for weeks....

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2015, 10:00:23 AM »
T1 is still an odd turn and I need to slow a bit as running wide on exit loses lots of time needing to lift more for t2 or run wide there and then also get out of position for t3.The 458 can take a fair bit of kerb there but can get silly loose at times off it so probably safer with slower entry and less kerb for pretty much the same delta and less risk of losing lots of time.

In this thing t1 to 3 and 3 to 6 are all very much connected get out of position on one of them and you lose lots of time by the last part of it. Mess up 1 and I can be chasing the car all the way until exit of6, so for me 1 is more critical to stay in control then to get the last fraction of a second out of it.

The end of the lap is much the same with the last 3 turns setup by the slow left hander. Then trying to get it in a slight drift for the last 2 to avoid understeering wide but also not too much drift to lose the exit speed onto the main straight. Mess up the first part and who knows how the car will come out onto the straight but its quite a fun layout in this car due to these flowing corners.

The Alfa is also far from easy to go quick here but its just got that traction out of slow corners thanks to its 4wd which gives it the large lap time advantage. It needs to dial out any understeer but I was driving it like a rally car keeping it loose to avoid getting the dreaded understeer and its quite fun to drive once setup well. I cant share my setup for that as its already enough of an advantage for the guys in it.  ;) The 458 I just maxed cambers and adjusted pressures to balance them out once hot at around 34 to 35.

Slight negative toe at the front but not much you can do setup wise with this car, it also needs all the road and takes up 1 and a half lanes on most exits as its prone to being sideways on exits.

Offline Wobblyone

• Adrenalin is brown...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 11:12:45 AM »
No worries Joe...glad to help, if u are getting those times a few weeks into sim racing u will be a alien in a year lol.

Totally agree with martys comments this is a track where if u push to hard on the key corners if affects you for many corners after with your inability to get the right line or exit speed....Marty blitzed me in his Alfa test setup, he is running different gearing and just cruised away..strangely I tried his gearing and can't drive it as it puts me in the wrong rev band and gears for the corners....on tyres I'm not sure what to do..I can get 7 or 8 good laps In the 10's on softs so might go for the blitz then wobble strategy lol

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2015, 12:57:39 PM »
I wonder how you knew what gearing I was running? as when you asked what gearing I was running, I did say the stock gearing in the 458 as I cant change it.  I didnt mention what the Alfa setup was :)

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2015, 03:25:47 PM »
dant dant dant daaaa!!!

Introducing the Wobbly Gearbox Hack!!
You won't believe what life was like before you got 'The Wobbly Gearbox Hack!!'
Try it today!!
 :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal