Xtreme Gaming Network

S25R2: Coca-Cola Classic 12 Hours of Sebring

Author Topic: S25R2: Coca-Cola Classic 12 Hours of Sebring  (Read 31207 times)

Offline bradc

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: S25R2: Coca-Cola Classic 12 Hours of Sebring
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2018, 05:38:39 PM »
Apart from the wonky start, that wasn't a very bad race. Started 5th, finished 5th.
Looks boring but was rather fun. During the race I got as high as 3rd and felt i was pulling away from 4th but then my fuel strategy let me down. I should have started with more fuel to make each stop a little quicker. Double stinted on my tyres and they held up rather well, however in the 2nd stint my best lap was about 1 second slower. Decided to switch to the soft with 12 minutes to go and after emerging 9th from the pits I had a big crack at charging back though the field. I caught up to Seanus in 4th at the final corner, however his C9 was simply too fast in the drag race to the finishline....oh what could have been.....

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2018, 05:43:00 PM »
It was an interesting race.
I had an problem in qualifying. Messed up my first qually run.
On my second run, Able Archer came out of the pits as I started my hotlap and blocked me. I forced my way past, then he used the Merc power to blast past on the straight and block me again. I backed off and thought I had left enough room in front, but caught him again on the next lap.
Third run I only had time for 1 lap and thankfully got in a decent one, but there was more in it.

Racing got off to a decent start and I settled in behind a bunch of Long Tails. The first few laps Seanus was poking the Merc nose up beside me but I gradually fought him off. It was looking good - I expected the Long Tails to ease away and leave me to settle into a rythum.
But ... then the Long Tails went bumping into each other and I wound up battling with ab for half a lap until he opened up the turbo and moved ahead. Unfortunately this had let Seanus catch up and he blasted past as well. Trying to get power down quickly on the straight I lost the rear SLIGHTlY, but it was enough for Phil, Freezer and Joe to cruise past.
I was heaps quicker than Joe, but there was no way past the Mazda as it just romped away on the straights. So I pitted as soon as I could fit the first stop fuel (60L) in and then got some free track and put in some decent times. I jumped Freezer in the pit stops but the Mazdas were gone since they only need a thimble of fuel at the pit stop.
After the second stop I came out behind Able Archer and was losing 2-4 seconds a lap with Freezer closing in fast. I made a mistake trying to get past the Merc and let Freezer through. Now it was his turn to get balked by the Merc :) Had some nice door 2 door action but didn't get through. That's when Matthew appeared and got in the middle of the war :( Then it all happened - Freezer got up the inside of Able coming onto the straight, Able got too much right foot, lost the rear and ran into Matthew. I passed Able there and Freezer had a slow entry onto the straight so I gathered him up and we went into the final turn side by side (nail biting stuff), but I had the inside, so got the best of it. Meanwhile Matthew was only just in front and had the rear step out and come back in to hit me. Lucky the hits mentioned were all very minor and no real damage done.
But here I was in free air again and showed some of the pace the Short Tail had and put in 1:57's for the last 3 laps with Matthew content to sit in behind. He blasted past on the straight on the last lap as grat had caught us up.

I think we Short Tails will just have our own little party I don't see much hope of challenging other cars at most tracks. But I don't care, I love driving this thing :)

PS: Looking forward to getting on the same bit of track as Freezer in future races and having some ding dong  battles 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:58:59 PM by RussG »
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2018, 07:42:01 PM »
I think we Short Tails will just have our own little party I don't see much hope of challenging other cars at most tracks. But I don't care, I love driving this thing :)
I also like driving this car but I think we might need to look at dropping back some of that 50% restrictor to get us in the mix.   There's plenty of long straights ahead :(

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2018, 09:15:51 PM »
I also like driving this car but I think we might need to look at dropping back some of that 50% restrictor to get us in the mix.   There's plenty of long straights ahead :(
Yeah, I might drop it down a fraction, or Seanus suggested a little ballast to slow it down in the corners and not in the straights.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2018, 09:20:35 PM »
Yeah, I might drop it down a fraction, or Seanus suggested a little ballast to slow it down in the corners and not in the straights.
As a matter of interest, how much faster is it without the restrictor? I've only driven with restrictor.
From what I've seen, the Long Tails seem about the same through the corners, but can blast it on the straights ....

Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2018, 06:10:46 AM »
I got on early in the practice session and tried to make a setup. Turned out to do well for me.

Never expected to get a podium here, not really a track I ever do well at.

For those that are interested, I will share what I did to the Mazda.
I ended up changing gearing, aero and tyre pressures. Everything else I left alone, I probably could of got something better working but that would of cost too much time as I tend to go round in circles when making setups so I tried to keep it simple.

I took my Daytona setup and made the changes from that, not sure what the gearing is in the default but from my daytona setup I ended up going down one click in the 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. Which was giving me about 290km/h top speed. I added plenty of wing, I think it was on 12 but not sure, could of been 13. Front was on 1 I think. With the shorter gearing and extra wing I was able to get on the power earlier and reach top speed faster (I was just reaching max speed at the final corner). Tyre pressures I just followed that tyre app. I think the fronts were 28 and the rears 25 on mediums which had them average at 33 fronts and 30 rears.

I split the race into 3 equal stints. I found that's about all the mediums could do for me anyway, each time I pitted the rears were done. I started with a full tank and each stop I put on new mediums and 22L of fuel which took basically the same amount of time to complete both. Actually dropped the final stop down to 20L as I knew I didn't need it all and that would cut out about 0.5-1.0 seconds in the stop.
Great qualy and race mate. Yeah, and cheers for sharing your setup. Amazing how you can drive this thing using pretty much default setup. You must have an extremely sensitive right foot. I'm losing this thing out of almost every corner on default...screwed driving style...no skills...dunno what it is. So I have changed pretty much everything on it :)
With that it is really fun to drive, but it's not really fast by comparison.
Seems I was doing the whole race with a little bit of damage because of this situation where I was sharing the same spot on the grid with this 7up Porsche. At the beginning of the race I was behind a Merc and so much faster through turns, but I wasn't able to overtake safely. Then on the straights he was just pulling away. So there's just no chance getting these guys on the brake.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 05:54:58 PM by killagorilla »

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2018, 06:30:01 AM »
hate when I am always right ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2018, 08:02:32 AM »
But you love when I listen, collect evidence and then act, right ;)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2018, 08:21:28 AM »
But you love when I listen, collect evidence and then act, right ;)
We love you unconditionally, Dear Leader. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal