Poll

Do we keep the Ferrari 599?

Yes
5 (26.3%)
No
14 (73.7%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: November 29, 2014, 11:29:45 PM

Author Topic: Do we keep the Ferrari 599?  (Read 27133 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Do we keep the Ferrari 599?
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 06:41:11 PM »
I'm leaning towards removing it, because it's ”out of step” with the other cars, with its massive straight line speed. When I was behind Dave's BMW in the P4/5, for example, our lap times were about the same, but there was no huge rubber banding of the gap. It was much more about parity.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Vipergod

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 07:28:14 PM »
Keep it (incase i need it)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 07:57:51 PM »
Marty, the computer says 'no', the video is private.

Sorry about that I was just keeping it to myself, was pretty sure it was just unlisted but should be good now.

[youtube]F5dvNrBmzi4[/youtube]

You only need to see the first 1:30 which was the last 4 laps before I had enough and went into the pits at the earliest possible chance with 17 laps to go.  ;D Completely opposite to my intended strategy, then the joy I had when they both pulled out of pits ahead of me on laps 13 and 14 to only be stuck behind them again for the remainder of the race could explain why I have the view that I have.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:10:45 PM by marty »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 08:21:49 PM »
The one thing that buggers me, Marty, is that they have pulled out in front of you after all the pits - how is that possible, if you had a couple of s/lap on them?  You should have had a safe 5-10s or so gap on them by that time, shouldn't you?

I mean with a normal pit strategy it's a moot point, you can't beat them, but with yours the chance was seemingly there...

Offline Bafs17

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 08:45:34 PM »
I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here as I'm yet to sign up for a league with you guys yet. I'm just thinking back to my days with GTL and P&G where we had similar situations with the cars we where racing.

For example I used to drive the mini and others the GT or Falcon. Yes there where some tracks where what happened to those behind the 599 happened to me/us but then there where other tracks where that wasn't an issue because it didn't suit the faster cars.

Our reasoning back then was this is what happened in the day where the nimble cars dominated one track and the muscle cars dominated others. It was still fun having to overtake the monsters. Maybe it needs to be tested on varying tracks? Maybe the season needs to take this into consideration?

Not involved so I hope I haven't put my 2c worth in where it isn't warranted.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 09:34:09 PM »
The one thing that buggers me, Marty, is that they have pulled out in front of you after all the pits - how is that possible, if you had a couple of s/lap on them?  You should have had a safe 5-10s or so gap on them by that time, shouldn't you?

I mean with a normal pit strategy it's a moot point, you can't beat them, but with yours the chance was seemingly there...

Well the strategy didnt work as planned seeing as first I missed my pit spot and had to reverse back then was in reverse when I got dropped so lost about 5 seconds there. The second part that didnt work is to make 17 laps I needed a full tank and hard tyres so my pace on cold hards was slower then had I stayed behind them on the first few laps including a bad pit stop. They had already used half a tank and were on softer tyres so pitting early wasnt a great option. Having 5 laps in the clear I needed to make about 6 seconds up on them to clear them. Had I not lost time in the pits it wouod have had more chance but there was no way to pass them on track.

Its not what I wanted to do but staying out I assumed id just stay there or have a crash and didnt want to ruin their race as mine was already done. Trying something different was about my only option and even though it didnt work there wasnt much else I could do.

Offline Dave O

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2014, 10:41:01 PM »
I'm going to withhold my vote on this one, as there's good arguments both for and against. That said though looking at the tracks coming
up I think what played out last night will probably repeat itself. As gawaterman pointed though the 599s certainly didn't dominate.

Dave O.
NEVER TOO OLD TO RACE ... being competitive can be a PROBLEM though.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 10:56:12 PM »
Thanks Marty. I think it was a sound strategy. But maybe on mediums. Once you are ahead ... and of course you need to hit the box without reversing.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 12:53:19 AM »
I'm going to withhold my vote on this one, as there's good arguments both for and against. That said though looking at the tracks coming
up I think what played out last night will probably repeat itself. As gawaterman pointed though the 599s certainly didn't dominate.

Dave O.

I guess there is no reason to not do one more round at least and Spa will be likely worse then Mugello due to 2 fast sections so it will show if it really is best to not have them. They didnt dominate as they really arent that much easier to get lap speed out of around mugello, they would be quite a pig everywhere except the main straight. Its not really anything to do with them being too fast lap time wise its just they are a bit too different in how they achieve that time.

Bird, Mediums wouldnt last for me as long, I tested them and I was already quicker by lap 8 to 9 if on hards and they could easily do the full tank run I needed. Mediums would be pretty sketchy well before lap 17 there which is what my final stint had to be, also my best lap on hards in practice was a 1:47.5 vs a 1:46.7 on softs they were just a bit slower in the first 2 laps then just got better as the fuel burned. For 12 laps medium was close but still hards easier to get pace at 100% grip vs meds on 98% and dropping.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 04:54:26 AM »
The ideal handicap system would alter the grip in the corners only.  I think it just means there will need to be more aggressive overtaking through corners if the 599 was to stay.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2014, 08:16:11 AM »
The vote's looking pretty decisive, so I'll remove the 599, before Spa, and redo the car allocations.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline imperious

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2014, 09:26:16 PM »
Get rid of it

Was nothing but a pain in the #%@ most of the time.

I seriously couldn't believe a car that quick in a straight line could be such a dog in the corners.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2014, 10:18:54 PM »
Gone!

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2014, 05:43:39 PM »

Get rid of it

Was nothing but a pain in the #%@ most of the time.

I seriously couldn't believe a car that quick in a straight line could be such a dog in the corners.

Nice road test report, makes me feel better, I believed it was just my crap driving :-[
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline imperious

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2014, 06:45:40 PM »
What are You talking about Bruce? You are one of the best!

I probably could have said it better obviously, but the series needs a good balance of cars, and the 599
is the odd one out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal