Xtreme Gaming Network

Season 5 leak

Author Topic: Season 5 leak  (Read 33062 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Season 5 leak
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2014, 01:49:42 PM »
By the sound of it Guy just wants to win something - which is fair dinkum, considering his pace even in the slowest cars.  This could also be balanced via extra points for shitty cars.  Sortof like the 0.5 point/50kg rule was.

It would be great to win something but the reality is I'm probably not likely to given my work commitments and the caliber of the other great drivers in this league.  Also, I doubt any results of mine would have changed previously even with a different points system in place.

The point is to look at whether we/Wally want to reflect the real world systems which offer a greater comparative reward the higher up you finish.

Fair enough.  My vote is to leave it; it's not broken, it's simple, and it still rewards consistent drivers, even in the heavily changing conditions (it's a different mix of cars every week!).   

But I'm not fussed at all, I'm here for fun, only (ok ok I like to win, too, but my chances are slim with you aliens around)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2014, 02:09:56 PM »
There is definatly an advantage to running each round and missing one plus having a bad race puts you in a bad position. Race 2 now is double points so have a bad one there you are down 48 points. Giving more points to the winner or higher finishers would just make you more points down on a poor race though wouldnt it? Still you would get more points for wins so can claw some more back assuming its not your main rival winning the races you dont complete.

I dont think you really need to give more points to slower cars as Guy is winning this handicao series and another great driver  ;D won the last handicap series driving a standard Elise. If its already possible to win with the slower cars I dont think giving more points for these is going to help the others much.

Also as Wally says if you gain more by winning and lose less in a poor race the advantage in underperforming one race to get a better car and easier win the next may allow for more gaming of the handicaps. As it is you can try your best each race and still have a chance  but if points are changed. Someone could win every second race nite and come out on top just due to gaming the handicap system.

Now if you did this and get a first one race and near the back the next you would have been better off just finishing in the top 10 twice. So there is no advantage to such a strategy and I think thats a good thing to help keep people with the real handicaps they should have.

Having more points really just allows for a finer distribution of points for each position.  Using a staggered points system means that if you do miss a round and then have a bad race, you have a better chance of making up for that bad race.

Regardless of whether the winner gets 10,000 points or 24 points you are still missing out on 100% of points but with a staggered system you have a better chance of making up the deficit if you have the ability to, as opposed to a linear system where the percentage of points you can "re-gain" over a competitor is very narrow.

For example, if you have a bad race now and are 24 points behind, assuming worst case scenario that your competitor always finishes second you would have to win every race for 24 races to make up the deficit of what you lost.  With something like the Formula 1 system, if they have a bad race then they would only have to win 4 races to more than overcome that deficit (discounting the silly double points last race!).  I think that best illustrates why most series opt for a staggered system.

It's also similar for any position in the championship table as long as points are staggered all the way down to 24th.  If you are running for 10th and have a bad race it will be harder to make up for that assuming that 10th is normally your regular finishing position.

There could be the potential for all sorts of "sharp" practices as there is now.  I mean if I wanted to I could run the first round 10 seconds a lap slower than possible and then feed off that for the rest of the series knowing it won't be counted anyway, but I think most people will try their best and just want to race hard and fun without having to resort to those kinds of tactics.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:15:42 PM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Online Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2014, 05:25:24 PM »
[edit]
I won't comment.
This is a conversation only for the guys with a remote chance of winning.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:39:09 PM by Bacchulum »

2+2=√16

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2014, 06:05:40 PM »
[edit]
I won't comment.
This is a conversation only for the guys with a remote chance of winning.
[/edit]

Everyone's opinion is valid.  There is no right or wrong, or winning or losing, just preference.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2014, 06:57:43 PM »
The real series obviously do it for a reason. I think its primarily for people to race hard, and not say ”well,third is good enough” and not push for 1 more spot. But we're not that close here. Everyone just pushes as hard as they can, and can't just ”choose” to fight for another spot.

A staggered system does unfairly advantage front runners who miss a race, because only they really have a chance to make up for a missed round with a big points haul.

I'm thinking at this stage to leave it as it is, (everyone gets a missed round), but introduce a bonus system for slower cars in a handicapped season. This way, we get closer racing, but faster guys are still rewarded with points.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2014, 07:01:50 PM »
I'm also mindful of the fact that we have 24+ people racing here. You can't please all of the people all of the time. All I can do is keep it varied, try different things, handicap/no handicap, multiple cars/one car, and everyone will be happy some of the time.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2014, 08:20:39 PM »
Professional sport is all about winning. We are here to have fun and having a full grid makes it fun. Wally's system promotes close racing so Marty and Guybrush don't get bored.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2014, 09:15:02 PM »
I'm also mindful of the fact that we have 24+ people racing here. You can't please all of the people all of the time. All I can do is keep it varied, try different things, handicap/no handicap, multiple cars/one car, and everyone will be happy some of the time.

And I think that's the best thing.  Keep things changing a bit here and there
You are doing a helluva job there mate, kudos :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2014, 11:04:43 PM »
Thanks. Fun is what it's all about.

Rolz

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2014, 08:15:33 AM »
Can I be put on the list if it's not already full please?  ;D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2014, 09:26:27 AM »
Can I be put on the list if it's not already full please?  ;D

I'll put a sign up thread up soon!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal