Xtreme Gaming Network

My game crashes - solved - caused by Discord!

Author Topic: My game crashes - solved - caused by Discord!  (Read 6319 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
My game crashes - solved - caused by Discord!
« on: December 19, 2018, 12:11:40 AM »
My game was just randomly crashing to desktop. After a process of elimination and some browsing, I tracked it down to some settings in Discord!
Go to Overlay settings, and turn off in-game overlay. According to one post I read, "Discord says the feature only works with some games (it actually injects code into your game which is not that stable)."
I also disabled "Hardware Acceleration" in the Appearance settings. Discord says it "uses your GPU to make Discord smoother. Turn this off if you are experiencing FPS drop in games."
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: My game crashes - solved - caused by Discord!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 12:26:36 AM »
Thanks, I need to have a look at that, battlefield 5 kept crashing on me last week and I went through all sorts of drama trying to resolve the issue. Uninstalling drivers, updating windows to 1809 manually (even though 1803 just came through recently) new drivers not installing because windows was trying to do it, couldn't get into safe mode to ddu old drivers because my password wouldn't work (not sure why) but made a new one and was all good. Wasted about a couple of hours, but I reckon it was this because it was the only thing different, playing online with mates

Offline kcender87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 10:16:17 AM »
THis might help any rift users too - i have had discord off for the past few weeks as i had stuttering with it on for some unknown reason - ill ditch hardware accel and see if that solves it

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 04:06:02 PM »
Shutting down msi afterburner and its off-sider rtss seems to have solved the crashes in bf5 for me, assuming it's rtss since it is also an overlay software

Edit, nope after more crashes in bf5 (game freeze, instant quit to desktop, no bluescreens, no driver crash errors) I decided to dig deeper. I use hci memtest @~400% for memory stability testing in Windows so I thought it was good. I've heard google stress app test was better but needs to run in Linux, so I gave it a run and got errors pretty quickly, a few tweaks to memory clocks and voltages and gsat lasted an hour. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?73665-Our-preferred-memory-stress-test
So far no more bf5 crashes even with gpu oc back on with afterburner and what not running in the background. I think this game is really ram intensive compared to anything else I run on my pc
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:32:37 PM by buellersdayoff »

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 12:59:39 PM »
I had random crashes and blue screen issues a couple of months ago.
Mine were fixed by not using XMP ram setting and manually configuring it.
I can't remember if it was a common thing with a chipset, or gigabyte with a certain chipset.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 01:46:21 PM »
Yeah I think it is quite common particularly if the ram modules are not on the motherboard qvl list. I was running my xmp 3200MHz @ 3466 and tested using hci memtest and all was OK until I started using bf5. I'm now running @ 3333mhz with tighter timings, with manual tuned voltages. GSAT tested for 1hr and a couple hours of bf5, no crashes now.

Previously, xmp 3200 set in bios, 1.15-1.18v for vccio/vccsa and 1.36v dram, manual 3466mhz override.

Now, tried a preconfigured 3333mhz profile in bios, manually set 1.2/1.25v vccio/vccsa and 1.42v dram, with slightly tighter than xmp timings (also preconfigured in bios).

Anyways I think it's worth using gsat if you need to test ram, particularly if the system is freezing
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 12:17:57 PM by buellersdayoff »

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 12:13:37 PM »
Yeah I think it is quite common particularly if the ram modules are not on the motherboard qvl list.

Mine were. It was a pain in the arse because I'd changed my mobo-CPU-Ram and didn't reinstall windows and so suspected it was that because it had run fine for a couple of weeks and didn't start playing up after a windows update....I re-installed windows, and still had the problem till I realised it could be the ram.
Turns out it wasn't the ram, but the XMP. I'm pretty sure I've got it manually set to the same speed, timings and voltage as the XMP but now it's stable....go figure.

I hope it's fixed for you buellersdo, crashes are a pain in the arse.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 12:26:35 PM »
Yeah I think it is quite common particularly if the ram modules are not on the motherboard qvl list.

Mine were. It was a pain in the arse because I'd changed my mobo-CPU-Ram and didn't reinstall windows and so suspected it was that because it had run fine for a couple of weeks and didn't start playing up after a windows update....I re-installed windows, and still had the problem till I realised it could be the ram.
Turns out it wasn't the ram, but the XMP. I'm pretty sure I've got it manually set to the same speed, timings and voltage as the XMP but now it's stable....go figure.

I hope it's fixed for you buellersdo, crashes are a pain in the arse.
So far so good in bf5, I've now just got to get good at the game lol. But from what I've read online anything over stock clocks can be hit or miss even with xmp, especially the high speed stuff, more so if not tested by motherboard vendors (qvl). Hope @imperious can get his system sorted too, because as you say it's quite the pita

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal