Xtreme Gaming Network

Which VPN

Author Topic: Which VPN  (Read 9295 times)

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Which VPN
« on: April 22, 2017, 08:35:09 AM »
Hello, is anyone using vpn's and whats a good company deal?

Cheers

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Which VPN
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 10:42:33 AM »
I've been using PrivateInternetAccess for a few years. It's about 40 ish $ a year, servers around the world, no logging, no dramas, acceptable speed.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 01:10:30 PM »
PIA is generally considered good.  My problem with PIA was that torrents were absolutely rubbish.  And I mean absolutely. A thousand-fold decrease in speed.  This includes steam downloads - that seems to use the same tech.
After 5-6 email exchanges with support they kept going on with change this and try that and I got very tired of it.

I'll try vpnSecure, maybe nordVPN or VikingVPN.

Here's a comparison chart, btw

There are a few things to consider.  What's most important to you, what aspect of the browsing you want to hide and from whom.

We know that ISPs log the traffic now, so we want to hide that.  But also; if the VPN is in the US, us authorities will have access to your history - if it's logged.   
There's something they call the "5 eyes" countries, and the "14 eyes" countries, which allow collection and share certain user information, so if you want to be sure to get away from these, you need a VPN outside of these countries.   

Many things to consider.

Then of course there's the connectivity & speed aspect, the number of endpoints...luckily most providers allow a 1-month or even a trial subscription.   Test them. :)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 08:18:23 PM »
I subscribed to Getflix for a month, paid for it and never used it.  But it was a good month.  Does that help?

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 07:40:41 PM »
I subscribed to Getflix for a month, paid for it and never used it.  But it was a good month.  Does that help?

Possibly, if you could explain how it was a good month.

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 07:41:04 PM »
I've been using PrivateInternetAccess for a few years. It's about 40 ish $ a year, servers around the world, no logging, no dramas, acceptable speed.

Thanks Wally, will look into it.

Offline Otadacin

• View Profile
    • 5 easy methods seduce cam models
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 07:36:37 PM »

100% second this. PIA is one of the best VPNs for it's price value.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 08:45:04 AM »
Oh update: after trying all the others I've gone back to PIA as well, it's still the best - but the speed drop & the lag means I seldom actually use it. :/ 
It's ridiculous that I'd need to reduce my beautiful single-digit-lag 100mpbs connection to near-ADSL level rubbish to keep my privacy :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal