Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 9: Thursday 8th December - Silverstone (National)

Author Topic: Round 9: Thursday 8th December - Silverstone (National)  (Read 20627 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Round 9: Thursday 8th December - Silverstone (National)
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2016, 10:08:32 PM »
Race 1 was excellent, especially when Seanus, Imperious and I had a three-way tight pack going for quite a few laps early. But then Imp and I converged on the same bit of track at Maggotts. I was probably at fault there, because although I was on the racing line, I squeezed Imp off the right of the track, and should have given him more racing room. The impact sent me off into the wall.

In race 2, I was off again, after Shameless slid across the track, I went left to avoid him, and AJ was re-entering after running a little wide to the left at Copse also avoiding Shameless, and I ran into the rear corner of him, and re-visited my favourite section of wall. Pity, because the racing was nice and close when we had the ballast. I'll have to be more careful in future - I never seem to do that well on Thursdays with too many mistakes.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2016, 10:45:48 PM »
I just wasn't having a good day, thoughts elsewhere and a didn't work much on a setup or much practise and it showed.  Couldn't get below a 1:08.5 in race 1. I think I'd just overplayed silverstone over the years,

I adjusted the diff for race 2 but still only managed a 1:08.3. Only issue was I dropped my fuel to try and get faster but that made my rear far too loose for me to control.  Sorry for causing such a mess for those behind me.  I couldn't pull off a decent lap without my rear end giving out so I just pottered around the track in last place until the race finished..
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2016, 10:59:30 PM »
I didn't do as terrible as I thought first time with the h shifter but was hard to really judge how off the pace I was with my 140kg passenger...

First race I made a couple of mistakes not blipping enough on downshifts and locking the wheels and also a few missed gears though do remember some good side by side action with wally for a bit.

Second race managed to avoid the crashes which put me out into 3rd. I was able to keep in clean with less mistakes and pulled away from phil with his even heavier passenger. Was no way I was gonna catch bruce or ley with the ballast but bruce came off and I took 2nd.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 11:01:19 PM by Joe »

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2016, 10:03:25 AM »
A question on h-shifting; do people go down multiple shifts before a corner, or just depends on the corner? Last night at becketts and brooklands I was going straight from 5th to 2nd. If I tried to go through the gears any more than that I think I'd struggle for my feet to keep up  ;D

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2016, 10:49:45 AM »
Joe, you did better than me. I really suck at the H-shifter. My times were about 1.5 -2 seconds off my "paddle pace". But like Wally and Phil say, the immersion factor is greater so I will stick with it for a while. At least until I end up throwing the thing out the window in frustration.

I too am keep to pick up tips from the gurus who can do the the h-shift tap dance.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2016, 11:15:12 AM »
Did a bit of laps before the race working on setup changes to negate the effect of ballast on brakes and it certainly helped.

Race 1 was comfortable after gaining some clear air, ballast certainly makes the car easier to drive if a bit slower.

Race 2 was not so comfortable. Made one mistake where, while defending and trying to overtake at the same time, I misjudged Phil's braking and gave him a slight tap from behind. Unfortunately it was enough to turn him around costing us both a number of places. Overall my pace was still good so happy with a 7th place. Sorry Phil!!

For the H-shifter triers, took me a couple of months and I still mess it up frequently, but it is faster.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2016, 11:20:28 AM »
Joe, you did better than me. I really suck at the H-shifter. My times were about 1.5 -2 seconds off my "paddle pace". But like Wally and Phil say, the immersion factor is greater so I will stick with it for a while. At least until I end up throwing the thing out the window in frustration.

I too am keep to pick up tips from the gurus who can do the the h-shift tap dance.

I agree with the immersion rob, was great. In practise before ladt night I was only a 10th faster with paddles but I didnt try paddles for too long. In practise last night i was .5 seconds faster than my paddle pb. Consistency is a bit more of an issue though as easier to make a mistake. Will stick at it though. When I've tried the clutch before it made my ankle hurt but it hurts less in summer. 33 years old with thr ankle of a 73 year old  :D

Offline Phil.8

• Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2016, 11:52:54 AM »
Doing that last race without ballast last night made me remember the problems with ballast, it takes  away the true feeling of the car and in some cases makes cornering easier .   but I did have some cool races with the ballast 
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2016, 11:56:14 AM »
I just flipped to paddles  last week as I was having trouble "getting it all together" towards the end of a race, and this removed a potential problem for all of us  ::)

Race 1, (eclipsed by race 2 for me), from what I remember, pickup a couple of spots off the line, only to find my slide into one of the next turns door rubbing Denis as he reentered from stage left, I thought about it an believed I could keep on... but I was sorry.
charged on and I spun Unfka thinking I could drive better than I could, that stuffed us both. bigger apology.

Race 2 found me up front after my odd crap moment earlier.   Ley and I put in 7 laps, bumper to bumper on most corners, and I think when I look at the times, are lap times will be identical, with the differnces on each of our prima corners.
Concentration was no to blame this time, I had an off and then had fight to the finish.  Looking forward to watching the replay.
Great race Ley, and congratulations.!
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2016, 01:38:07 PM »
A question on h-shifting; do people go down multiple shifts before a corner, or just depends on the corner? Last night at becketts and brooklands I was going straight from 5th to 2nd. If I tried to go through the gears any more than that I think I'd struggle for my feet to keep up  ;D
I sometimes do shift down several gears at a time, but it depends on the corner. I often go 5-4-2, for example.

In all honesty, I'm not blipping much or heel toeing either.

Don't forget, this was only 10% damage. At 100%, you'll grind a lot more gears and risk wrecking your gearbox.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2016, 01:42:29 PM »
I sometimes do shift down several gears at a time, but it depends on the corner. I often go 5-4-2, for example.

In all honesty, I'm not blipping much or heel toeing either.

Don't forget, this was only 10% damage. At 100%, you'll grind a lot more gears and risk wrecking your gearbox.

Thanks Wally. I was trying to heel toe but occasionally when there was a lot going on I wouldn't blip enough then lock up and get the back end out. In some cases that actually gained me some time :D

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2016, 02:29:59 PM »
I again had a fun night with a car and setup I am now completely comfortable with. The fact of being the fastest qualifier in race 1 weighed heavily on me (don't recall being on pole ever before) and I stuffed up by the third corner, giving the race away; still I had some great battles with Phil and Marty (shows what ballast can do). Race 2 was not as good but still fun ( the replay does not show exactly the circumstance of the contact with Marty I was crossed up and hit the brakes to straighten up) . Race 3 was interesting in that the lap times were not that much quicker without ballast. Still really like this car , it reminds me of hooning in my youth crossply tyres and all.
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline UnFknBLievable

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2016, 05:07:50 PM »
Had a good time, Race 1 was ok from what I can remember of it. Finished 5th.

Second race was really fun. AJ, Phill, Mael and myself keeping it tight until Mael clipped Phill and gave me a free pass :) Finished 3rd.

Last fun race with no ballast was good. Obviously the car was a bit quicker and felt more agile given all I did was up the ratio and keep the same setup. Had a really good start off the grid and held out till the end. Finished 1st.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2016, 08:01:28 PM »
, it reminds me of hooning in my youth crossply tyres and all.

hhehe , I remember too! :)
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal