Xtreme Gaming Network

S10R4: Mugello Pre-Race Chat

Author Topic: S10R4: Mugello Pre-Race Chat  (Read 33496 times)

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
Re: S10R4: Mugello Pre-Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 01:06:49 PM »
...............me.........got.........in.........TERNET!!!!!   :o ;D ;D

testing the BMW right now,   VIVA Mugello!!!
Good to see you back Simone!!  :D

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 01:08:34 PM »
I'm a bit with Marty on this; looking at the compulsory pits as it is, there is no strategy involved, really. 
You can only do one thing; stop at optimum intervals because the fuel & tyre usage are overwhelmingly the biggest factors, and you can't pit early to get out of the traffic either.

But hey, we're testing things ;)

Good news, Simone.  Welcome back!

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 01:19:21 PM »
I think there is a bit of room for strategy in terms of staying out or going in early and getting an undercut.  35/3 is 11 - 12 laps each stint which is about the limit for any decent grip (likely to be less around Mugello), so you could potentially come in a bit earlier while others stay out and the tyres drop off, then leave yourself with a few laps in the middle or end stint on worn tyres, or conversely do a few extra laps in the first stint and drop some time but then come back hard in the middle or final stints.

I think the tyre wear will be fairly harsh at Mugello compared to Imola or Brands.  I'm tipping the mediums to go off in the Lambo by about lap 9.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 01:50:12 PM »
I'll check the pit window regs tonight.

This whole season has been about simulating the Australian GT3 series. If they do it, we do it!
You adapt to the rules which are in place, the same rules for everyone, you don't try to change the rules.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 01:51:07 PM »
I think the undercut will be quite handy but then fuel may be the big limiting factor you could likely do 2 short stints on mediums getting the most out of these and come home with a longer stint on the hards. I dont know how long fuel will actually run here though or if the hards will even be a viable option as they may blister badly in these temps so this is another thing that may limit any longer stints. Meds have a higher working range and if doing 3 equal splits you will likely get the most out of it, but the cool thing is this does open to the undercut if tyres do start to go off. Take the benefit early and then the pain at the end with hopeful track position, however none of this is relevant if your 3 seconds off the pace and 15kmh down on speed as I will be.

I could run close to RSR wr pace and be lapped by GB so the undercut isnt really going to get me a lap back or any hope of passing anyone at 260kmh vs 275 down the straight and quite likely be the slowest thing up the hills running more fuel then the quicker cars need, so even heavier all race. :)

If this turns out to be the case then I may try something funky but really not much I can do with track position if my car has no defense against any other car down the straight. Off the line itself my car will lose at least 5 to 10 spots into t1 then be picked off one by one and my only gains being from others misfortune and my only hope will be to be the fastest mclaren in the race which may get me 19th or 20th 100% full pace and no errors if others all stay on the black stuff.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 02:24:39 PM »
If this turns out to be the case then I may try something funky but really not much I can do with track position if my car has no defense against any other car down the straight. Off the line itself my car will lose at least 5 to 10 spots into t1 then be picked off one by one and my only gains being from others misfortune and my only hope will be to be the fastest mclaren in the race which may get me 19th or 20th 100% full pace and no errors if others all stay on the black stuff.

I think you seriously overestimating the  pace of us back-markers  ;D

Rolz

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 02:40:23 PM »
I'm going to take all your apparent expectations of poor pace and position at Mugello with a grain of salt Marty...

You lulled us into a false sense of "Yesssss I can beat Marty" with your expectations of poor pace at Brands Hatch and that so wasn't the case... Coming 3rd overall blew that out of the water...

the McLaren mightn't be the best car in the shed, but ur skills certainly even the odds :)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 02:59:02 PM »
I'm going to take all your apparent expectations of poor pace and position at Mugello with a grain of salt Marty...

You lulled us into a false sense of "Yesssss I can beat Marty" with your expectations of poor pace at Brands Hatch and that so wasn't the case... Coming 3rd overall blew that out of the water...

the McLaren mightn't be the best car in the shed, but ur skills certainly even the odds :)

I did run some laps at optimal to get a base setup and test aero effects on speed and cornering. As with all other tracks so far in the 650s less aero adds no speed. So aero setup is purely for aero balance and maximizing cornering grip as there is nothing at all possible to gain top speed which does seem like the strangest thing about the car. Seems not many have ran this car at RSR as after only 3 soft runs Im only .2 off and there is maybe .5 left in a better lap this still would make 1:49.5 at 260kmh vs 1:46.8 at 275kmh in the Lambo so its not something I am simply imagining. If the Mclaren could get even half the top speed deficit back it would likely come close to matching the lambo.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 03:02:29 PM »
FYI I did not notice much of a difference in speed with the wing changes either. (Nissan)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 03:20:34 PM »
FYI I did not notice much of a difference in speed with the wing changes either. (Nissan)

There is a difference between much of a difference and getting the exact same top speed at any wing setting from 0 to 4 I think which I have found in the mclaren.

In the other gt3 cars I have noticed a small difference in speed with more or less wing its not huge but say at Bathurst 278-288 between 0 and mid rear wing in all other gt3 cars but 650s 274-273 no matter the wing just as my tests at Mugello 260 no matter the wing setting and this was also the same at Monza.

There is also the exit speed onto straights that effect the end top speed. Quite a few tracks cars will get much slower with too low a wing if your exit onto the main straights is slowed due to the car being too loose. For example mugello 0 0 has so much less cornering grip on the last corner its slower on the end of the straight. Also this lack of cornering grip would easily cost 3 seconds per lap yet not gain a single kmh in straight line speed.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 04:48:54 PM »
I wonder if the inclines hurt the McLaren more.  For example, at Mugello there is a steep incline just after the start line so that would hurt it more compared to a place like Bathurst where there is a fairly steep decline at the start and end of Conrod.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 05:01:02 PM »
Going uphill is going to hurt its lack of power, at bathurst mountain straight was worse then Conrod in the 650 vs other cars. But on Conrod still I think the scg was doing 288kmh z4, lambo, amg, gtr all around 285 kmh even the 12c gt3 getting around that number with the audi around 280kmh so this is close to top speeds at the 12hr race. Main thing there is the 650's was only a couple kmh down to the mercs and gtr where in Ac its 10 to 14kmh there.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 05:11:08 PM »
Just had a look at the server and it seems to be down for some reason, I will see if I can get it back up but no idea why it has become unreachable.

Seems pretty odd as I couldn't gain any access to the server until I limited access to my IP only so maybe someone has been trying to gain access again and so for the time being Wally I will limit access to just me again via RDP.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 05:16:30 PM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 06:16:31 PM »
Just had a look at the server and it seems to be down for some reason, I will see if I can get it back up but no idea why it has become unreachable.

Seems pretty odd as I couldn't gain any access to the server until I limited access to my IP only so maybe someone has been trying to gain access again and so for the time being Wally I will limit access to just me again via RDP.
OK. I was on it late last night, reconfigured and restarted with no dramas.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 06:18:00 PM »
3x tyre wear, I will have to do like 5 pitstops :(

3x tyre wear over an hour is actually easier than 2x tyre wear over half an hour!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal