My PC

Author Topic: My PC  (Read 18104 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
My PC
« on: June 29, 2016, 11:29:16 PM »
I got a new motherboard,  and everything's reassembled and boots up, but now I really need to reinstall Windows. I had an OEM Windows 7, so I suppose I'll have to buy Windows 10. I doubt I'll be able to reactivate an OEM Windows 7 with a new mobo.

Are people using Windows 10 Home, or one of the Pro variants?

If anyone else has any brainwaves, I'd like to hear them!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: My PC
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 12:51:34 AM »
If you contact MS and have an original OEM key for win 7 I think you should be able to activate that, then from there get win 10 unless they have stopped the free update thing. With win 10 if you had it activated under your ms user name Im fairly sure contacting MS you should be able to get an activation, its a bit of a PITA contacting them but its got to be a few hundred to buy win 10.

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 05:38:31 AM »
I still have the free update to W10 icon showing but I hear it's finishing very soon.

*EDIT*
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/microsoft-windows-10-users-ready-update/story?id=40198057

Finishing July 29th.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 05:49:14 AM by slideways »

Rolz

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 07:02:24 AM »
Go through the call process like what Marty said.

Windows10 is great for me, had issues with my nvidia cards in sli initially, but don't run sli any more its be rock solid.

They were pretty old cards though

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 07:50:27 AM »
Yeah,  I think I'll try the OEM win 7 and then try for the free upgrade.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 08:24:38 AM »
Glad to hear you're getting back soon and with limited losses, Wally.

The PC I use for racing is still on 8.1. The main reason is that it works pretty fine like this (and I have some free anti-virus that won't work on Win10). Do you computer savvy people think I am doing wrong and will regret this? The same is for my laptop/tablet....

Rolz

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 08:31:54 AM »

The PC I use for racing is still on 8.1. The main reason is that it works pretty fine like this (and I have some free anti-virus that won't work on Win10). Do you computer savvy people think I am doing wrong and will regret this? The same is for my laptop/tablet....

I run Avast on my pc's grat... it's free and works on Windows 10, arguably best (free) AV I've had.
IMHO Win10 is a beautiful combination of all things awesome on Win7 and 8.1

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 08:35:15 AM »
I did the Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro upgrade recently and haven't had a single issue . .
The interface is slicker and there is nice little features here and there so its all good!

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 08:45:36 AM »
You guys are almost convincing me. I did upgrade the older PC I use as TV, and I had no issues. It's just the rig one that I am scared about. I seem to have fewer PC issues than let's say Marty... so I feel I am lucky and should not dare to change anything...

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 08:49:52 AM »
Upgrading to win10, be prepared to pay a monthly fee in the future, guys.  IMO it's the only path from here for MS, since they gave it away for free...

Rolz

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 08:53:20 AM »
Upgrading to win10, be prepared to pay a monthly fee in the future, guys.  IMO it's the only path from here for MS, since they gave it away for free...

I bought it, so I'll be sure to jump on my "chucka wobbly wagon" if that happens  ;D

Maybe Win11 or whatever the call it next... but SaaS is coming... (like winter)  :D

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 08:57:40 AM »
Oh,... :( I was hoping for certain advice and now I am more confused than I was before.

Rolz

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 09:01:28 AM »
Windows10 is a free upgrade at this point grat, the free upgrade will end July 29, 2016

Nothing confusing about that. :)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 09:03:47 AM »
Windows10 is a free upgrade at this point grat, the free upgrade will end July 29, 2016

Nothing confusing about that. :)

...only the future :D

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 09:13:14 AM »

Yep...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal