Xtreme Gaming Network

My PC

Author Topic: My PC  (Read 17948 times)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Re: My PC
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 09:15:32 AM »
You guys are almost convincing me. I did upgrade the older PC I use as TV, and I had no issues. It's just the rig one that I am scared about. I seem to have fewer PC issues than let's say Marty... so I feel I am lucky and should not dare to change anything...
Everyone has less PC issues than Marty  ;D

Mostly due to him pushing the limits with 4k monitors. Recently he has not seemed to have so many issues however?

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 09:27:17 AM »
Upgrading to win10, be prepared to pay a monthly fee in the future, guys.  IMO it's the only path from here for MS, since they gave it away for free...
You may be correct but there are some very good short term reasons for Microsoft's Windows 10 strategy.

1. They make most of their money from Office and new PC Windows licenses. So the free upgrade period for Windows 10 did not really giving up much revenue.
2. They significantly reduce maintenance costs if they can remove support for early versions of Windows much quicker. This will be achieved by firstly getting most people of Windows 10 then reducing the time that old versions are supported. Expect Windows 7/8 to receive end-of-support notices much sooner than XP did.
3. Windows 10 has compulsory updates built in. This has been interpreted as meaning Microsoft intends for this be the "last" version of Windows. ie you will never get a choice whether or not to upgrade in the future.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 09:54:15 AM »
Upgrading to win10, be prepared to pay a monthly fee in the future, guys.  IMO it's the only path from here for MS, since they gave it away for free...
Conspiracy theorist . . !

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 10:08:34 AM »
I just want Assetto Corsa back!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 10:19:46 AM »
I recently made the move to Win 10.
My lappies upgraded seamlessly but my sim machine had a few minor problems.
AC came back with a whacky resolution, 640x480 I think and it wouldn't fire up till I tweaked that back to normal.
Also, my G27 hit the Win 10 problem of I'll just install that as a Driving Force Pro, which then mean't it didn't function. Quite a popular problem, a quick goggle for instructions fixed it.
 :P

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 11:44:56 AM »
This has been interpreted as meaning Microsoft intends for this be the "last" version of Windows.

That underlines my point very nicely, thanks.

But also raises serious potential issues.  Can you imagine working and from one day to another everything just changing on you, potentially not working any longer? 

Or how about silently calling back to home without notifying the user?

Oh wait, they just did that all with the forced win10 update...:)

Yeah it's a disaster.  I'm seriously thinking of firing up a linux desktop here for work.   I'm not gaming lately, anyway, so the only reason I'm still using microsoft is word/excel - every client uses this crap. (and have problems daily, but hey, it's all part of modern software)

Rolz

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 12:00:41 PM »
Can you imagine working and from one day to another everything just changing on you, potentially not working any longer? 

Or how about silently calling back to home without notifying the user?

Oh wait, they just did that all with the forced win10 update...:)

Bird, I think that tinfoil hat is on a bit tight... :P

Sure all you mentioned is 100% right, but will it be a regular occurrence?
I'll be surprised if it is...

See the other day a lady got $10k for the forced upgrade
http://www.seattletimes.com/business/microsoft/microsoft-draws-flak-for-pushing-windows-10-on-pc-users/

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 12:08:11 PM »
It's not like previous version of Windows were much better. They all had/have backdoors, but it's where developers are supporting their software to run from. We still need it if we want to play the latest games :(

I've been using Linux for over a decade and I still need Windows. Gaming on Linux is still miles away. Saying that tho, I have one PC (with all my best hardware) running Win10 for pretty much just gaming and I've got quite a few Linux laptops and servers setup. However, If I had only 1 PC then I think I'd have to install Windows on it, I need my games!! :D

I sent you a PM Wally.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 12:35:18 PM »
You guys are almost convincing me. I did upgrade the older PC I use as TV, and I had no issues. It's just the rig one that I am scared about. I seem to have fewer PC issues than let's say Marty... so I feel I am lucky and should not dare to change anything...
Everyone has less PC issues than Marty  ;D

Mostly due to him pushing the limits with 4k monitors. Recently he has not seemed to have so many issues however?

Im amazed the pc hasnt crashed on a race nite in a while. It seems nvidia surround drivers with win 10 and titan really are still flakey. I will get a 1080ti or titan when the come and should fix those issues I hope.

Still I get the odd random screen blackout then crash and nvidia surround keeps disabling itself if the pc goes to sleep mode losing my custom res which seems to be my main issue.

Regarding what Bird is saying, there are so many backdoors in all major software from windows, to google, facebook, possibly steam etc that nothing is really private. Consider anything you do on your pc open to some so unless your doing something sensitive it shouldnt bother you.

If your doing something you dont want any others to know then best to go back to pens and paper.  ;D

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 01:13:35 PM »
Regarding what Bird is saying, there are so many backdoors in all major software from windows, to google, facebook, possibly steam etc that nothing is really private. Consider anything you do on your pc open to some so unless your doing something sensitive it shouldnt bother you.

If your doing something you dont want any others to know then best to go back to pens and paper.  ;D

Errr...no. That's completely wrong.

I know because it's part of our business to know and deal with it :)  But then again, we don't run windows production environments - it's only the local dev/test.

Ok, there is an approach saying the only safe computer is the one turned off and locked up in a safe, and there is something in it, but it's completely false to assume that people are ransacking your data on a daily basis.   Only with major hacks you got something out, normally.   

Windows 10 reports back to base - but that's another matter.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 01:16:57 PM by Bird »

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 03:33:20 PM »
I'm still on 7, seems to be working OK now.
I'll wait another 2 years before upgrading, you know, after they sort out the bugs.
 ::)

(I'll never be another unpaid beta tester again)

2+2=√16

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 03:37:43 PM »
I'm still on 7, seems to be working OK now.
I'll wait another 2 years before upgrading, you know, after they sort out the bugs.
 ::)

(I'll never be another unpaid beta tester again)

Hehe, I'm with you.

My business partner made the mistake of updating to 10.  He's swearing at it on a daily basis. :D

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 04:14:38 PM »
Completely sucks that Microsoft created an improved version of windows and then gave it to you for FREE . . . Bastards!!!

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 05:05:48 PM »
Completely sucks that Microsoft created an improved version of windows and then gave it to you for FREE . . . Bastards!!!

An improved version it maybe, but when you suddenly run into compatibility problems and - this is good - ms office programs randomly crashing since the update....well, I'd rather they would not ram it down everyone's throat just like that.  Also, some of us prefer a system that does not call home with my usage reports.  And does not automatically update.  I'm that kind of idiot. :)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 05:12:44 PM »
How improved is something that has compatibility issues over something that doesn't? ???
I call it improved when it works correctly out of the box (something no windows has ever done).

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal