Xtreme Gaming Network

My PC

Author Topic: My PC  (Read 17939 times)

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: My PC
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2016, 07:52:31 PM »
How improved is something that has compatibility issues over something that doesn't? ???
I call it improved when it works correctly out of the box (something no windows has ever done).
I suppose it comes down the miriad of different systems out there, because in my case Win7 worked fine, and now Win10 works fine.
Haven't had a single problem.... :)

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2016, 08:52:05 PM »
Ok, so... I have updated both the rig and the laptop. Compared to the living room pc, both were much less smooth.

Rig: the main issue has been with the NVIDIA drivers. It's passed now. I am not sure ac is any better, an I have the impression it is slightly worse when doing CPU heavy things like racing many AI's. But tests are still early. Fanatec gave me new drivers. There is some 10% placebo effect in them, so I am not sure if they are better, worse, or the same...

Laptop/tablet: give me back the metro explorer, please. My keyboard is broken and Lenovo is not sending me one in a while, so I really need a good tablet app.... for everything, actually.

Rolz

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2016, 06:50:57 AM »
Laptop/tablet: give me back the metro explorer, please. My keyboard is broken and Lenovo is not sending me one in a while, so I really need a good tablet app.... for everything, actually.

What do you mean here? It's a bit confusing for me.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2016, 07:35:43 AM »
I have one of those ThinkPad laptop/tablet convertibles. My keyboard broke, so I am left with a tablet only for a few weeks. Windows 8.1 had a tablet version of explorer which worker really well in tablet mode. With windows 10, I can try chrome, explorer, Firefox... they all feel like they were not designed for tablet mode, even when tablet mode is on in windows 10.

Rolz

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2016, 07:52:30 AM »
Ah ok - I have a Surface, but only use the tablet mode on the bus to/from work when I read the news articles.
It is clunky in Chrome, but I only click articles... writing anything would suck.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2016, 08:02:05 AM »
I've got my PC back up and running with new mobo, GTX 980 and Windows 10. I was able to use my old Windows 7 OEM key. I just have to reinstall everything now.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Rolz

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2016, 08:09:58 AM »
I've got my PC back up and running with new mobo, GTX 980 and Windows 10. I was able to use my old Windows 7 OEM key. I just have to reinstall everything now.

Nice one Wally :)

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2016, 10:58:09 AM »

Have the tremors settled now :) 
were you able to get an new old stoke mobo? and need a report on the GTX 980 of course, in due time :)
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2016, 12:11:47 PM »

Have the tremors settled now :) 
were you able to get an new old stoke mobo? and need a report on the GTX 980 of course, in due time :)

Yep, it's an older chipset mobo for my CPU. They're still not to hard to find. 980s are getting scarce though, with the arrival of the 1080.  I  got one for $600.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2016, 03:34:15 PM »
decent price! :)

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2016, 05:42:23 PM »
update on windows 10 upgrade. All seems fine with the rig, but I get a completely random micro-freeze that I can't explain. I mean: the render stats is at 59.999 but it freezes for like a tenth of a second at completely random times. I cannot replicate it on purpose and I cannot measure it... I had to install new nvidia drivers, but they seem to work fine otherwise...

Any idea?

Rolz

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2016, 05:51:05 PM »
grat, I would suggest running perfmon and try and make note of the time and then check if there were any spikes in cpu, mem, io at the time...

Has anything recently added itself to the auto startup on boot?

Citrix client for example can case random black screens

HTH :)

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2016, 06:26:41 PM »
grat, I would suggest running perfmon and try and make note of the time and then check if there were any spikes in cpu, mem, io at the time...

Has anything recently added itself to the auto startup on boot?

Citrix client for example can case random black screens

HTH :)
Tank you. You mean perfmon while running the game? I am not sure how to look at past data to see spikes, but I'll try to have a look... I have not added anything other than changing antivirus as you suggested.

Rolz

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2016, 06:39:49 PM »
Ping me tomorrow and I'll do up a quick doco for you on how to get perfom going.

Avast has a gaming mode that stops pop ups whilst in game.
Check that out in the mean time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal