Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 1: Silverstone Race Chat

Author Topic: Round 1: Silverstone Race Chat  (Read 82824 times)

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
Re: Round 1: Silverstone Race Chat
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2014, 03:49:32 PM »
If you want to blow an engine just downshift very fast and early, it will blow your engine in any car with damage on. Wont be a huge effect on the f abarths but I think forcing damage on is a good thing. Still odd the server cant set ambient temps yet so there should be an advised temp setting all should use to keep it fair.

I've tried many times to downshift as fast as I can. from 200kmh+ to reverse! or just neutral, foot always hard on the go pedal.  bmw and lotus. The engine goes red but never dies...
maybe I need my local settings to have damage on? hmm
This is the feature that Bird wants and the one that "BBQ Bob" aka Glen 73 doesn't want reintroduced :)
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2014, 04:01:53 PM »
If you want to blow an engine just downshift very fast and early, it will blow your engine in any car with damage on. Wont be a huge effect on the f abarths but I think forcing damage on is a good thing. Still odd the server cant set ambient temps yet so there should be an advised temp setting all should use to keep it fair.

I've tried many times to downshift as fast as I can. from 200kmh+ to reverse! or just neutral, foot always hard on the go pedal.  bmw and lotus. The engine goes red but never dies...
This is the feature that Bird wants and the one that "BBQ Bob" aka Glen 73 doesn't want reintroduced :)

I did manage to blow up an robin reliant earlier on Marty's server. I just couldn't get the lotus or bmw to.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2014, 04:49:53 PM »

What, what?   What do I want here now?   I don't remember wanting anything like this, but then my memory isn't what it used to be...

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2014, 05:41:17 PM »
Quote from: Bird

What, what?   What do I want here now?   I don't remember wanting anything like this, but then my memory isn't what it used to be...
I was thinking about you being able to upgrade your 'Flaming mini'avatar.

tapatalk on an °[●●]°

"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2014, 06:04:40 PM »

Haha I'm all for realism, besides I had the revs set to "to high" BBQing was not from down shifts, Steve and I had some fierce battle's in those Cortinas and it did give me an advantage.......... until I blew my engine  :-X

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2014, 08:37:10 PM »
Quote from: Bird

I was thinking about you being able to upgrade your 'Flaming mini'avatar.

tapatalk on an °[●●]°

Aaah, I get it.
Yeah to be able to cross the line in (flaming) style you do need this :D

Offline DarrenM

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2014, 08:43:12 PM »
I'm going to have to withdraw from this series :(

Rift support is screwed up at the moment and with this car being low to the ground it's just too hard to see where I'm going. I tried going back to the monitor but after 6 months using the rift it just looks and feels completely wrong.

If it gets fixed I'll sign up to the reserves list but for now I'll probably go back to iracing for a while.

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2014, 07:22:54 AM »
I'm going to have to withdraw from this series :(

Rift support is screwed up at the moment and with this car being low to the ground it's just too hard to see where I'm going. I tried going back to the monitor but after 6 months using the rift it just looks and feels completely wrong.

If it gets fixed I'll sign up to the reserves list but for now I'll probably go back to iracing for a while.

That's a shame Darren, its always sad to lose one of our resident "Aliens".

I guess you have already tried the default App - "Onboard Settings"?

It basically allows you to "raise the seat" position. Not realistic in a Formula car i know, but I use it as it enables me to see over the nose of these car. I feel it helps me to see the apex a little better as I only use one monitor.

cheers mate
rob

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2014, 08:50:41 AM »
Why don't you give it a shot Darren and see how you go?

Wally it will be interesting to see how the server goes with 24 people.  We were on Marty's server last night and things got messy once more than 15 ~ 16 people joined.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2014, 09:54:09 AM »
Maybe you'll get used to it quick enough, Darren. The mind is an adaptable thing. I hope you can give it a go. Like Rob said, you're the alien benchmark.

Guy, the Tuesday night server has much more capacity than these little free servers, both in CPU and network bandwidth. It was fine last Tuesday, once we worked out the settings.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2014, 10:36:52 AM »
Here's a race setup (conservative) for anyone interested.
Tyre wear is negligable, so times decrease as fuel burns, no balance change through 10 laps (with my style, anyway).
Comments appreciated. 8)

[Old attachment deleted by admin to free up space]

2+2=√16

Offline DarrenM

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2014, 11:45:59 AM »
I've been trying for a week since they broke it, but it's just crap. I did a monza race in the 458 on Tuesday and was able to get around, but it was uncomfortable after a while. Hopefully I'll have a DK2 in a week or 2 and a patch to support it, then I'll be back in action :)

As an experiment I tried 640x480 with no AA, no AF, 60 fov. It's pretty close to what I'm dealing with so maybe if you all agree to drive with those settings I'll give it a go  :P

With the camera up high I can see corners a little better but it feels like I'm driving a gokart or something lol.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2014, 11:58:08 AM »
Tyre wear is negligable, so times decrease as fuel burns, no balance change through 10 laps (with my style, anyway).
Comments appreciated. 8)
Thanks Bacchulum. Interesting that the hard tires give the same lap times as softs. Both slow for me however. How do you guys get down to 2:02s? Would one of you mind posting a ghost? I don't know where I am losing time. Each sector is down so at least I'm consistent  >:(

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2014, 12:26:14 PM »
I've been trying for a week since they broke it, but it's just crap. I did a monza race in the 458 on Tuesday and was able to get around, but it was uncomfortable after a while. Hopefully I'll have a DK2 in a week or 2 and a patch to support it, then I'll be back in action :)

As an experiment I tried 640x480 with no AA, no AF, 60 fov. It's pretty close to what I'm dealing with so maybe if you all agree to drive with those settings I'll give it a go  :P

With the camera up high I can see corners a little better but it feels like I'm driving a gokart or something lol.

Interesting, and it'd be also sad if you'd leave.

What I don't understand: how is it that you see less from the same viewpoint on the monitor compared to the rift?  You're on the same "eye level" aren't you?  Or is it just the fov?  And why the low resolution?  I'm a bit confused...

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2014, 12:29:31 PM »
Comments appreciated. 8)
Thanks Bacchulum. Interesting that the hard tires give the same lap times as softs. Both slow for me however. How do you guys get down to 2:02s? Would one of you mind posting a ghost? I don't know where I am losing time. Each sector is down so at least I'm consistent  >:(

I found there's much time to be gained if you can take that right hander before the wiggly bit flat (don't know the names... Copse, maggot, something).
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal