Xtreme Gaming Network

System upgrade - 8700k & mobo

Author Topic: System upgrade - 8700k & mobo  (Read 45746 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: System upgrade - 8700k & mobo
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2018, 05:38:48 PM »
The 1080Ti does not lack performance that's for sure.  With the 4k screen it works flawlessly whatever I throw at it.  :)

Online rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2018, 04:33:17 PM »
I've been trying to follow and learn something from this thread but it's now just turned into gobble-de-gook. :o :-X
It reminds me I only know the car bit of sim-racing, not the computer bit (hence my attempt to learn).
This may help Bacchulum, from 2010 but still relevant.

https://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2018, 06:19:16 PM »
I've been trying to follow and learn something from this thread but it's now just turned into gobble-de-gook. :o :-X
It reminds me I only know the car bit of sim-racing, not the computer bit (hence my attempt to learn).
This may help Bacchulum, from 2010 but still relevant.

https://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/
Thanks Roo. ;)
But I'll have to get back to that on a long weekend (just to read it all :P ).

2+2=√16

Online rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: System upgrade - but whhich CPU?????
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2019, 07:40:14 AM »
I am now addicted to racing with VR :'( and are facing quite a few challenges in doing so. Last Tuesday night was very frustrating when Discord would not function without massive stuttering, I later discovered my CPU was so overloaded it could no run Discord !!! having 23 other cars on the track would not have helped.
My current CPU is a i5 4690k OCed to 4.5 Ghz 4 cores no threads, cost me $200 used, and coupled with a Gigabyte 2080ti.
Through a lot of testing I have found the sweet spot for my Lenovo Explorer VR headset (1440x1440 displays) is to run them at 3200x3200 per eye!!! at this setting the result is close enough to monitor quality 8) imho, these are the sort of resolutions the 2080 ti excel at.
I now have Content Manager video settings( most stuff turned off or very low) that we allow me to run up to 8 AI cars at 3200x3200 at 90FPS (critical rate for VR) with it seems, most combos of cars and tracks, the immersion is so good you don't seem to miss the missing eye candy.
Using MSI Afterburner I can see my CPU is 100 % utilised and GPU at about 75%. This is with most apps turned off including PTracker.

Now the point of all this is what CPU would I need to get 100% utilisation of my GPU and plenty of CPU headroom to run the Apps I want and what is the limiting factor with FPS with a large number of cars on track, is it CPU or GPU?
The Ryzen 7 3700x is 8 cores plus 8 threads BUT core speed is about the same as the i5 4690k, would threading plus 4 cores make that much difference in my situation, I know Assetto Corsa supports Hyperthreading but not all Simracing programs do.
Would I need to go to an 12 core CPU at a nosebleed price :o :o. I am hoping someone here at XGN can help as this will hopefully be my last PC build :) :) :).
Looking forward to your repies 8).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 07:52:19 AM by rooshooter »

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2019, 08:15:15 AM »
CPU or GPU will depend on game, but I know AC is a CPU heavy game. Can't really tell you what CPU is going to give you exactly what you want, but I upgraded from an i5 6500 to an i7 8700k which I've OC to 5gz and just the CPU upgrade gave me a 30fps increase in some games. Also things like Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 emulation which are hugely CPU intensive and ran like shite on my old CPU now run great. I'd maybe look at some of the PCCaseGear CPU/MB combos. No doubt Bueller will be able to give you better advice  8)

Offline Jarmel

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2019, 11:44:45 AM »
I'd bite the bullet and go for a top end cpu to make sure you get the results your after, nothing worse than buying something that doesn't do what you hoped it would. Your also wanting top end performance to achieve the results your after.   The AMD ryzen 9 3900x  or the intel i9 9900k  is top end .
The amd one is supposed to be the better of the two , but the intel works a little better where multicore use isn't as important ie: most games. The Amd is more future proof than the Intel as more and more games  start to utilise the extra cores.

For pure gaming its probably a safer bet to go with the intel 9900 or the 9700, but i'm guessing due to the amount of apps we use in AC the extra cores of the AMD 3900 or the 3700 might drag em over the line, just a guess tho. If you stream or fraps your races amd is best bet.  None of these Cpu's should bottleneck your Gpu unless your multitasking too much stuff.

I am no expert by any means but been keeping an eye on these things for about 4 months now as i want to upgrade my system again that I built 5 months ago roughly, as it isn't quite good enough for what i want.

Going to be pricey tho will need new mobo and if amd will want faster ram 3200mhz .

Also one thing to consider on comparing price is if the cpu comes with a cooler or not

On Core Speed it doesn't tell the whole story anymore, Amd has lower core speeds but there architecture allows it to pass info thru faster than the intel architecture.
Cpu usage is increased by more cars and larger textures so the higher the resolution the more stress on the CPU.

A couple of quick links as reference.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/best-processors

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/best-cpu-for-gaming/

Disclaimer , I am no expert far from it and probably know just enough to give bad advice .
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 11:46:52 AM by Jarmel »

Offline Jarmel

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2019, 12:00:06 PM »
Myself i'm looking at the amd 3600  knowing that the next couple of generations are going to be using the same chipsets so upgrading the cpu at a later stage shouldn't require a new mobo.
Also have you got an me2 drive , these are faster than ssd drives , mainly helps with loading and only a little impact on fps/

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2019, 12:54:27 PM »
Couple of notes - just my 2c:

- Some of the me2's aren't faster than the regular SSDs.   Their spec *allows* them to communicate faster, but not all are - they are SSDs too (solid state drives: not spindle, but memory-chip based), just with a different bus.   Even those that are faster, aren't perceptibly so, in normal use (i.e. desktop/gaming).  This in my experience (got both, samsung 850pro SSD vs 960evo me2, same 1TB variants).

- I reckon you're still better off with the Intel, for the following reasons:
  1) core speed is still king in a lot of games, and regardless of what you're running on the side if the main game does not utilise the rest of the cpu, the single-core performance will be the bottleneck.  (and other extra programs can run on other cores; they won't need high performance cores, so that is of no concern)
  2) Intel works better & nicer with nVidia, and nVidia is what you want for top end
  3) Intel 'K' CPUs are very nicely overclockable; so you get a decent 10%-20% extra for your money if you need it later.  That's unbeatable, it's equivalent to a small upgrade.

And even though you might be better of with the AMD, say, in 5 years time, by that time you'll want a new computer anyway :)

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2019, 01:46:44 PM »
If I was buying right now I'd go 8 cores with ht, some fast ram 3200MHz min, a good mid range mobo and a big Samsung evo/pro ssd not the qv's. Only depending on budget would I decide Intel or amd, and drop down to 6 core amd if the budget was tightish. Ryzen 3600 is similar in benchmarks to 8700k and the amd CPU's come with a decent cooler (upgrade if you want cooler/quieter but not over the top). So....
Tightish budget... Ryzen 2600/3600, 3200MHz ram (min), b450/x470. Big Samsung evo ssd.
Or... Ryzen 3700, 3600mhz ram, b450/x470/x570 (not sure when b550 is coming). Maybe upgrade cpu cooler to something beefier and quiet.
Money to burn... 9900k (needs beefy cooling $$), z390 (don't cheap out $$), 3200MHz ram min.
I reckon in a few years a 6 core will be like previous gen i5's but at least amd should have better upgrade path so a 3600 is still a good choice. Hardware Unboxed and Gamers Nexus have some good videos on ryzen mobo recommendations, you can get previous gen boards on sale just don't go to the bottom of the barrel.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 07:27:56 PM by buellersdayoff »

Offline Jarmel

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2019, 06:50:17 PM »
Couple of notes - just my 2c:

- Some of the me2's aren't faster than the regular SSDs.   Their spec *allows* them to communicate faster, but not all are - they are SSDs too (solid state drives: not spindle, but memory-chip based), just with a different bus.   Even those that are faster, aren't perceptibly so, in normal use (i.e. desktop/gaming).  This in my experience (got both, samsung 850pro SSD vs 960evo me2, same 1TB variants).

Yes you have to be careful with me2 , some are just ssd packaged as me2 and your mobo has to have the correct pci slot ( not a sata slot) to use the better version of the me2.

So.… Tightish budget... Ryzen 2600/3600, 3200MHz ram (min),

Don't go for the 2600 , it will be a bottleneck at those resolutions with your GPU, its what I have and it bottlenecks my amd 580

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2019, 09:31:29 PM »
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/484250 futu_online ebay has 20%off with code, prices are a little jacked but with the 20% and free post usually ends up a decent price compared to pccasegear+postage (I've bought a lot from pccg too but a long while ago), I've bought heaps of stuff from them and their shipping time is fast at least in Sydney regions. I put 3700x + gskill 3200 16gb + sam 500ssd + msi tomahawk b450 in my cart 1146-20% $916. https://www.pccasegear.com/wish_lists/876150/amd $976+postage
Mostly depends on the budget and brands you like anyways...
Oh.... https://www.pccasegear.com/products/44161/intel-core-i9-9900k-processor $800 lol
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 09:38:28 PM by buellersdayoff »

Online rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2019, 08:00:56 AM »
Sorry for the delay in responding ,I have been away.
Anyway thanks for all the knowledgeable replies :) with this info and some further research I have determined I will have to push  current PC tech to the limits :'(. I am now pretty sure CPU cores and Clock speed are the top priority , hyperthreading is not going to add much. I really wanted to go AMD this time but the case for Intel is just too good :'(
Any recommendations on Mobo brands, and which ones to avoid?
Does anyone have any experience with "closed loop CPU liquid coolers" and any recomendations?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2019, 08:57:46 AM »
Anyway thanks for all the knowledgeable replies :) with this info and some further research I have determined I will have to push  current PC tech to the limits :'(. I am now pretty sure CPU cores and Clock speed are the top priority , hyperthreading is not going to add much. I really wanted to go AMD this time but the case for Intel is just too good :'(
Does anyone have any experience with "closed loop CPU liquid coolers" and any recomendations?

Brands wise I usually stick to Asus, never had a fault.  All the regular brands have more faults (eg Gigabite, MSI) and the really bottom-end I won't even mention.

I'm using water cooling for a while now, got the  NZXT Kraken X62 currently, it's great performance-wise, but the motor has died on me once.  Had to get a cheap heatsink while the warranty replacment was churning along, fucking annoying that lots of shops don't do local warranties.

Before that I've used a Corsair H100i , that was good, too.  And it didn't fail on me. :)

With this sort of cooling two things to strongly consider;
1) noise (when at full tilt, they can be!)
2) space - radiators be big.  Make sure it fits.

The performance will be good, if you don't eff up the installation :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:22:18 AM by Bird »

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2019, 11:15:57 AM »
got the  NZXT Kraken X62

I have the X52, just a bit smaller but still does a good job cooling my CPU. Nice to be able to tweak all the settings for noise vs temps. Plus the RGB on it is awesome  8)

Offline Jarmel

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2019, 01:10:58 PM »

Highly recommend not going liquid cooling unless you allready have the gear, the money spent on that is better off being used to get a better cpu . Unless off course its something you just want to do for sake of doing it, then go for it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal