Xtreme Gaming Network

S9R2: Zandvoort post-race chat

Author Topic: S9R2: Zandvoort post-race chat  (Read 25567 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S9R2: Zandvoort post-race chat
« on: October 27, 2015, 10:12:25 PM »
RACE RESULTS
SEASON STANDINGS

Average lap time for race 1 was 1:25.870, and for race 2 was 1:26.903 (so you can see why your ballast went up or down).

Penalties
Race 1: Freezer (-4) for running into the back of Simone (+4) and Will (+4)

Round Points
Guybrush Threepwood    82
Bacchulum    67
Freezer    43
StanDaam    62
EdWood    30
Skaife    55.5
Jeremy    41.5
Marty    59
Wally    58.5
Phil.8    55.5
Matthew111    56
christopheraser    46
Grat    36.5
Simone    34.5
Bafs17    62
Joe    0
Mael    34
Grubbet    0
G0RGAK    38
Will    36.5

Congratulations to Guybrush for the round win, as well as both race wins.

Season Standings
1. Guybrush, 138
2. Bacchulum, 122
3. Freezer/StanDaam, 121

Team Achilles Heels leads from Caterpillar Racing, 253.5 to 237.5.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:57:43 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: S9R2: Zandvoort post-race chat
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 10:39:24 PM »
Fire away!

Was a fun nite, I didn't really get in a good qualy lap each session but lap times overall were quite close so it shows ballast works. Race 1 I lost some spots avoiding spun cars at t1 and t3 but then got into a bit of a rhythm. Caught up to Bacchulum but just never had a good look at a pass, I couldn't get close enough out of the last turn to try and get any draft and into t1 I was never anywhere to be a threat. I did get some half looks in other spots but he drove a good solid line not giving me much chance.

Race 2 again I qualified towards the back of the top 10 and fuelled for 10 laps, I had a reasonable start and was behind Bacchulum again from early on. I tried all I could but couldn't make a move and I also had a few big slides that lost me some time. I noticed I had just enough fuel for 2 laps on lap 9 so decided to stay out an extra lap, I hoped Bacchulum may stop on lap 10 and with the lighter car I may get the jump on him in the pits. He stopped on 11 and I made it to the lane on fumes, I wanted to get as quick a stop as possible and so my first click on the fuel number was very close to what I needed but maybe just short. I clicked go to try not lose time in the pits, straight away checking the numbers I noticed I was half a lap short.

Hoping the numbers were wrong I pressed on then realized I had no hope and stopped again quickly with 2 to go to at least get me a couple laps on fresh rubber and maybe catch someone but they were all too far ahead. Was a fun nite I had reasonable pace and ballast seemed pretty well done as all laptimes were quite close. Its just quite hard to pass at Zandvoort and t1 being the main place its hard to pass someone with 100kg less ballast down that straight, though it was fun as always having some close racing with Bacchulum.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:46:38 PM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 11:19:49 PM »
In both races, the car felt nice and balanced, and pretty stable. Race 1 was a good little train of Bacchulum, Marty, EdWood and me for quite a while, all nice and close (my average gap to the car in front over the whole race was 0.63 secs), until Marty eventually had a mishap and then Ed later on, leaving me to finish 5th, following Bacchulum over the line. After qualifying 16th, that was a good result.

In race 2, I had a bit of an impact with Jeremy after avoiding Chris's off on lap 1, shunting him into the car in front. I think I copped a tiny bit of aero damage, but it wasn't really affecting me. I ran a long stint, as long as I could, which saw me momentarily in the lead on lap 13, but I probably ran a little too long, as on the last lap before I pitted, the tyres were pretty ropey and I nearly had some spins. I should have pitted for fresh tyres at least a lap earlier, as the spin cost me about 5 seconds on that lap, which might have seen me one place higher up the standings. I spent most of the race behind Matthew, before and after the pit stop, but couldn't really make any ground on him, but was starting to catch up in the last couple of laps, maybe with fresher tyres. I finished 6th, just 0.8 behind Matthew.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 11:29:48 PM »
Race one was solid, even relaxed  :D

Race 2 started with a disastrous qualification, just could not get a clean lap in and ended second last on the grid. Decided to start slowly, keep out of trouble and hopefully pass everybody once they inevitably crash into Zandvoort's many walls.  Sadly once the race started I  crashed into the first available car I could find damaging both front and rear wings putting me out of the race   :'(

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 11:42:55 PM »
The plan was a clean 1st lap and settle in to annoy the piss out of Marty.

Succeeded in both races. ;)
 :P

Well done Guy FTW.

2+2=√16

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 11:45:28 PM »
Qualified 15th but got a cracker start passing 3 cars down the straight but in my excitement misjudged Simone braking in front and rear ended him shunting him into Will.  Apologies to both just missed my brake point completely.  From there I trundled around at the back.
R2 Now with a bit less ballast I qualified 4th and got away cleanly.  But stupidly I put a wheel off on the downhill sweeper and ran wide (hadn't done that once before).  But with no damage I got going again.  Ran to lap 15 and grabbed fuel.  Just after coming out I suddenly had team mate Skaife behind me.  I watched his pace to see if I should let him past (take one for the team) but we seemed pretty close so I pushed on.  From there we ran together to the finish getting home in 9th.

Ballast Question Wally: Race 1 - Me 63, You 46.  You were 1.5 sec on average per lap quicker in that race yet in race 2 you dropped to 12 (-34) whilst I only dropped to 43 (-20).  So you were faster, but got more weight taken off??   Thoughts!

Update: For Spa I have gone up in weight, you stayed basically the same yet you were faster in R2 Zandvort.
Not picking on you just confused....
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:49:58 PM by Freezer »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 12:49:31 AM »
Freezer that would be as Ballast is now off both qualy and race laps so you were a bit quicker then Wally in both qualy sessions.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 01:12:20 AM »
No mention of warping? Sounds like good news :)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 06:02:57 AM »
I actually think qualifying is more represtative of pace than the race when setting ballast - judging from this round anyway.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 07:22:36 AM »
Freezer that would be as Ballast is now off both qualy and race laps so you were a bit quicker then Wally in both qualy sessions.
What Marty said. Looking at qually and race together shows what speed you are capable of with that amount of ballast. It has the benefit of still seeing how fast someone has gone in qually if they have damage in the race (much more likely) and doing slower lap times because of it.

Your qually times were a lot quicker than your race laps, probably because you may have been carrying some damage.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:34:46 AM by Wally »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 07:30:05 AM »
I only saw Freezer warping, but he often warps despite a really low ping, so it's probably something to do with his connection. The AC server bug that was fixed is more likely to cure random warps by differing people.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 08:22:54 AM »
That is good news, and with a large field... they may have fixed that problem.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 08:38:33 AM »
Good night of racing for me in these fragile little beasties.
Managed to get a 3rd in race 1, reaping the benefits of other peeps misfortunes.
Race 2 was ok, tried to stay with Phil and get closer to Wally. Phil caned me in his pitstop (I gotta get better at that!!) and I nearly caught up to Wally at the very end. Finished up in 7th.  :P
Missing a goat for this round, but a new little billy has to be shown the ropes!!!  :D

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 09:40:40 AM »
Tough night, but with some good news.

I could never find a fast pace, so I went for consistency. As a result, my quali was...well, I started last. Race started with quite some mess in the first few corners, but I managed to be careful enough to avoid any contact. From then on, it was all about consistent laps and good exists, to keep Bafs---who was clearly faster---behind. All worked pretty well for 6 laps, while advancing a few positions thanks to the predictable crashes. At the end of the 6th lap I have found Christopher recovering from a spin and a bit of a misunderstanding ended up in the classic unfortunate contact (I move right, he moves right, crash). At this point my front wing was damaged. I could still keep Bafs behind, but now every corner was a bit of a struggle, and after another 2 laps I finally lost it a bit and he passed me. All in all: a solid 8 place starting 18th. Can't complain.

My slow pace in race 1 also meant I was rewarded with a sizeable loss in weight for race 2. I could not capitalize on it fully, as my setup was probably wrong for it and I am not good enough to change my braking points so fast. In any case, I managed a decent 12th position on the grid. I knew I could be quite faster with the race progressing, so I decided to start with max prudence and then see how it goes. I managed to avoid any contact for the first few corners and then settled behind Wally. Unfortunately Skaife behind me was a bit more on the charging mode and probably did not expect me to be as conservative as I was, and ended up against my gearbox. Bad luck. Managed---very slowly---to reach the pits for repairs to my rear wing and messed it up a bit. I ended up being lapped by half the field, but I was committed to try to stay alive as the race was long. I was behind Christopher for 2 or 3 laps, but I realized I was faster and it was probably better to try to un-lap from him. I was pretty sure he knew I was lapped, as I rejoined from the pits letting him pass in turn 2. But I realize in AC there is nothing confirming that the guy you passed is a lapped one, and so he could not really know (I made a suggestion about it in the forum, but I do not think anybody will follow on that). Anyway: I got a much better exit out of the last turn and thought I passed him easily by turn 1. As I thought he knew I was lapped, I did not brake very late and did not expect him to try to defend the position. But as I said: he probably did not know I was lapped and fought for dear life for the position and we ended up having a double-contact. At this point I was on the gravel, damaged, and lapped by more than half of the field. I would have probably been more of an obstacle for everybody than anything else. So I left, drunk a glass of water, and then join the server to just watch you guys racing. Good job to all: it was a decently entertaining race and full access to radio communications was a nice plus.

In any case: I should apologize for my reaction to the crash. I hope you understand I was a bit frustrated by then.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 10:15:02 AM »
I had fun,not much of a result but the fun factor was there.Race 1 was not very good only lasted 300 mt
In race 2 i had a good start and chase a very heavy guybrush for 10 laps and that was fun too,even after exiting the pit i kept going pretty well,only thing was i could not get past freezer and bacchulum was fast approaching(i think i forgot to get tyres,do you guys get tyres?) a good battle was taking shape but in avoiding a stranded car i ended on the grass and spun,,,,well...it was  very humind last night after the storm and i was sweating like a pig from my forehead through my armpits and my back and i decided to retire,,,,,but fun race no problem thx guys

see you next week

ps:next time i will reach the airconditioning switch :P...also was great to see 10 cars within one sec of each other in the qual

Yes i agree Grat,in AC is not very clear whos behind you and the position of you opponents
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:27:36 AM by Simone »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal