Xtreme Gaming Network

Jan 19 - Season 10 Warmup Round: GT3 cars at Vallelunga

Author Topic: Jan 19 - Season 10 Warmup Round: GT3 cars at Vallelunga  (Read 33260 times)

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
Re: Jan 19 - Season 10 Warmup Round: GT3 cars at Vallelunga
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2016, 12:13:10 PM »
Same as Wally, I'm bummed why a lot of setup changes don't have a more profound effect on the car (eg camber!) but I also found it amazing that if you dare to put your food down, it comes out of the corners amazingly well, somewhat sliding the rear but not enough to lose it - you just need to be sure you'll not run wide, as taking your foot off the loud pedal just makes things worse, so there's no recourse at that point.

I have driven a lot of GT3 cars in a lot of games now and you can drive them pretty hard in most iterations of them. I think they have fairly low amount of power for the aero that they produce. AC is no different, if anything you can drive them even harder in AC, especially once you turn the tyres on. I was applying power well before I got to the apex in most corners and as you say it's about riding that slight bit of rear end instability all the way to the exit.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2016, 12:45:14 PM »
Same as Wally, I'm bummed why a lot of setup changes don't have a more profound effect on the car (eg camber!) but I also found it amazing that if you dare to put your food down, it comes out of the corners amazingly well, somewhat sliding the rear but not enough to lose it - you just need to be sure you'll not run wide, as taking your foot off the loud pedal just makes things worse, so there's no recourse at that point.

I have driven a lot of GT3 cars in a lot of games now and you can drive them pretty hard in most iterations of them. I think they have fairly low amount of power for the aero that they produce. AC is no different, if anything you can drive them even harder in AC, especially once you turn the tyres on. I was applying power well before I got to the apex in most corners and as you say it's about riding that slight bit of rear end instability all the way to the exit.

Could accelerate early out of corners with the Mclaren but the Nissan was another matter for me. Found it drivable only after significant setup changes and learning to be extremely patient out of corners while completely abandoning any thoughts of using 1st gear  :) Never managed to take T1 flat out, at best slight throttle lift needed for the front to turn in. I'm hoping some of the other Nissan drivers would create and share a proper setup  ;D

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2016, 12:51:24 PM »
Here's a setup I've used - I don't have a problem with it, it's very friendly.  This one has been made a bit more oversteery, so feel free to reduce the rear rollbar one tick, and add some wing if it gets too taily.   

Also the tyre pressures and cambers might not suit other tracks.

1st gear no problems - I could floor it out of the tight corners without any trouble whatsoever  :)

Edit: T1 is a lift, indeed, can't take it flat-out in this car it'd seem.  Maybe if GB got his teeth into setup here...;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:54:18 PM by Bird »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2016, 04:22:24 PM »
It's good to have some more challengers at the pointy end.  Don't forget Matthew either. Struggle Street Racing Crew have been playing their cards close to their chest.

I think Matthew and Jeremy are still practicing how to crash into eachother, they dont really need others to get in their way til the season starts. I think it should be quite interesting up front with quite a few up the pointy end in these cars this season.

I think team achilles wil be fielding a split car strategy and at least I should be around the early part of the season as I wont be travelling much til the second half of the year. Hopefully Guy can manage to make most of the races too and we can all have some good battles through the season with some newcomers and the regular crew up front.

Its the first non ballast season in fairly even cars so Im looking forward to it. I really havent driven the gt3 cars too much so just the last few weeks Ove had a bit of a go in a few to see which one id like for the season.

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2016, 06:10:15 PM »
We have been so lazy haha was meant to show up last night was too tired from work... done some prac and ill be going sls i think jeremy is too
do you even motorsports?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2016, 06:30:53 PM »
We have been so lazy haha was meant to show up last night was too tired from work... done some prac and ill be going sls i think jeremy is too
Alright you slackers, I'll take that as your choices for now.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2016, 07:58:21 PM »
Very good to be back racing! First sprint was a bit solitary, but good to get a bit more consistent with the new car. Second race was a bit of a messy one for me, but fun.

Wally: I tried the SCG003 last night and it felt quite good---perhaps a tad too predictable, but could get loose enough to have some fun. I'll go with it. Thank you.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2016, 10:24:38 PM »
Very good to be back racing! First sprint was a bit solitary, but good to get a bit more consistent with the new car. Second race was a bit of a messy one for me, but fun.

Wally: I tried the SCG003 last night and it felt quite good---perhaps a tad too predictable, but could get loose enough to have some fun. I'll go with it. Thank you.
OK.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Sin

• Edit Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2016, 11:53:23 AM »
Unfortunately some damaged ribs from a recent mountain bike accident into a tree saw me out tonight.  But should be good to go for next week.

Feeling your pain mate, separated some cartilage a few weeks back. Sucks the big one.

Thanks Bird, but I have realised these cars are beyond me. I'll wait for the next season

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2016, 12:47:05 PM »
Unfortunately some damaged ribs from a recent mountain bike accident into a tree saw me out tonight.  But should be good to go for next week.

Feeling your pain mate, separated some cartilage a few weeks back. Sucks the big one.

Thanks Bird, but I have realised these cars are beyond me. I'll wait for the next season

C'mon, don't bail out before you've given it a proper try. 
Just try to drive a bit more conservatively (brake earlier, apply the throttle a bit gentler) until you get used to it. 
If you need help with setup or driving tips, post your question, and it'll be answered.   

Btw; have you tried the Nissan?  It's really not hard to drive - altho it's not as fast as a lambo :) You need to be really wild to spin it - once the tyres are up to temp, that is.  It's a bitch on colds.    So when you're practising or hotlaping, I strongly recommend the "tyre blankets" option to avoid a couple of laps of real pain in the butt.

p.s. It often takes a whole season for me to get used to a car! 

Rolz

« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2016, 01:26:01 PM »
Hi Sin - what Bird said... We're here all for racing fun!

Doesn't matter where you start - Tuesday nights is where I have learnt the most and arguably raced against some of the best drivers in AC.

Learning setups, and racelines... when I started I new the word apex but didn't know how important it was.
I was a racing noob big time... not quite noob anymore, but improving ;)

And the racing... the glorious 20+ ppl on a track racing. Pub servers here in Aus average 5-10

The best part now is we'll have 30ppl for this season... Epic.

Comeon u wanna stay  ;D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2016, 01:44:24 PM »

Dont even bother with the soft tyres they are rubbish. They really wont be of any use at 2x tyre wear as I tried to make a setup to run some rsr laps and its way trickier then setting it up for a race. Getting the soft tyres up for a lap is quite a challenge but they are only at their best for 1 lap, this is after a very controlled build up of pace on the outlap. I havent even bothered trying the softs in the prac server as they turn to poo no matter what you do on the outlap by the end of the lap.

Go too hard and you will overheat and wear the tyres before the hotlap is done, dont go hard enough on the outlap and your going to lose put in the first part b of the lap under pressured and not up to full grip as the tyres arent scrubbed enough.

The way the season is best off to just make a race setup and qualify on the mediums with just less fuel. The medium tyres are way more predictable and stable with a small drop off during the run.

ABS and TC is allowed so if needed use these especially ABS there is little reason to turn that off. TC play with settings if needed and dont worry too much about the fastest lap times. Just stay on track at a comfortable pace and with the large fields you should have some fun battles wherever you are in the pack.

Over the longer distances outright lap pace isnt going to be the most important its consistancy and dealing with the tyre wear. Up front the pace will be fairly silly but there are a few pretty quick guys in this season. The mid pack os still fairly strong but may be 2-3 seconds off the pace this round but there should be some good battles all the way through the pack.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal