Xtreme Gaming Network

S10R4: Mugello Pre-Race Chat

Author Topic: S10R4: Mugello Pre-Race Chat  (Read 33482 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S10R4: Mugello Pre-Race Chat
« on: February 09, 2016, 11:20:35 PM »
This is the first of the two longer rounds.

The format is a single race of 34 laps (about 1 hr), after a qualifying session. 2.5x fuel, and 3x tyres.

There are TWO compulsory pit stops, where you can refuel, change tyres or repair. The pit window for the two CPS is laps 6 and 23. You can pit outside the pit window if you need to make repairs, or splash 'n dash, but you must do two pit stops in the pit window. DQ if you don't.

Earliest you can enter pit lane is at the end of lap 6. The latest you can pit is the end of lap 23.

The scoring is a little different in these format rounds: additional points (50 down to 1) are awarded for your position at the end of lap 14. So bear that in mind when you pit.

Weather: 34 and Clear. Hot!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:28:25 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: S10R4: Mugello Pre-Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 11:45:55 PM »
Interesting 3x tyres will mix things up a bit and 2.5x fuel but I think this more just forces everyone into a similar strategy as you will likely just want to divide the race into equal parts. Going long will likely be a killer with tyres so having 2 compulsory stops Id prefer having lower multipliers at least on the fuel to give the option of trying something different. There just isnt much strategy available if your pretty much forced to do the least amount of laps possible on the tyres.

High temps maybe the hards could be an option but also not being able to change pressures in a pitstop makes running 2 compounds possibly not ideal

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 07:24:08 AM »
Forgot to say, I changed the practice server over.

In real life, these races are 3 hrs long, with the same pit rules, and we're doing it in 1 hr, hence the 3x multiplier.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what the heat means for tyre choice. Air is 34, but track is 48. I'll be interested to see if that brings hards into play.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 08:58:07 AM »
3x tyre wear, I will have to do like 5 pitstops :(
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 09:05:27 AM »
Will the thirsty cars even make it that far on 3x fuel?

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 09:08:39 AM »

Will the thirsty cars even make it that far on 3x fuel?
That's why there are petrol stations ;)

Rolz

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 09:40:34 AM »
So Wally, everyone has to come in on laps 6 and then later on 23?

Hard tires I think will be the go for me here with that temp... I have no setup for the Audi here so will be starting with a blank canvas

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 10:24:55 AM »

Hard tires I think will be the go for me here with that temp... I have no setup for the Audi here so will be starting with a blank canvas

Rolz, the pit window for the two stops is between 6 and 23. You must stop twice anywhere in that window. eg. you could stop on laps 11 and 12 and fulfill the compulsory stops requirement.

Rolz

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 10:27:59 AM »
Rolz, the pit window for the two stops is between 6 and 23. You must stop twice anywhere in that window. eg. you could stop on laps 11 and 12 and fulfill the compulsory stops requirement.

Ah cool, thanks doobs :)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 10:46:36 AM »
Havent ran a lap here yet but going by rsr times the mclaren is 3 seconds per lap slower then the lambo and 15kmh down so Im looking forward to having no hope.  ;)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 11:40:47 AM »
If the soft tyres lasted longer you could play with strategy, but not likely, not even going to hards is worth it when they are 1 to 2 seconds per lap slower.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 11:42:57 AM »

Exactly.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 12:47:53 PM »
If the soft tyres lasted longer you could play with strategy, but not likely, not even going to hards is worth it when they are 1 to 2 seconds per lap slower.

Hards maybe an option with the higher temps but with much more fuel needed to run longer stints along with slower tyres its unlikely you can get a net gain by running a longer stint even if the tyres are quicker then hards after 6 laps or so simply due to the loss of speed with the extra fuel. I know the mclaren which uses much more fuel then the Lambo and also is well down on power is quite a bit slower at the start of the race thanks to the extra weight it needs to carry. So running even heavier by a large margin on slower tyres early would likely lose way more time then it may gain but in the end if mediums arent lasting very long it could be an option to try 1 longer stint and 2 shorter mediums to get the most out of those tyres.

If fuel use was normal 100% and tyre wear was too people could even take the option of stopping with no fuel or tyres to possibly gain in stopped time. We already have compulsory stops in a set window so Id prefer having some alternate strategy options rather then being forced into just 1 way to skin this car.

Even if tyre wear is as is but fuel would be 100% then you could possibly run longer on hards without also getting the hit of very heavy fuel but most would want to change tyres due to high deg as in f1. There would be a strategy option to maybe even go out on a full tank and save some pit time filling up and only changing tyres and topping up just enough fuel to match the time taken to change tyres.

In real GT3 racing they generally cant do any work on the car at the same time as fueling which leaves the option to double stint tyres as this can save 6 seconds or so on the stop which may be more time then fresh tyres will gain.

In the end though the rules are set and we all just need to find the best way to deal with this, I just dont see much room for alternate strategy in the current format.

Regarding pit window are you able to stop at the end of lap 5 which would be the start of lap 6 or do you need to be on the 6th lap to make the stop. Same at the end of the pit window can you stop at the end of lap 23 or does it need to be the end of lap 22, the location of peoples pit before or after the line could have an effect on this so it makes it a touch confusing.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 12:54:08 PM »
...............me.........got.........in.........TERNET!!!!!   :o ;D ;D

testing the BMW right now,   VIVA Mugello!!!

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 01:03:57 PM »
Havent ran a lap here yet but going by rsr times the mclaren is 3 seconds per lap slower then the lambo and 15kmh down so Im looking forward to having no hope.  ;)

I'm in the same boat Marty.......well sort of, most of my lack of pace has something to do with talent, and not being able to set a car up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal