Xtreme Gaming Network

S10R6: Nurburgring GP Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S10R6: Nurburgring GP Post-Race Chat  (Read 29478 times)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
Re: S10R6: Nurburgring GP Post-Race Chat
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2016, 12:33:45 PM »
Minorating is similar to "incidents per corner" in that it measures contacts over number of km's.  So the system is already there, it just needs to be able to be defined and reported for specific events.  However I don't think this will happen any time soon and I believe at league level there will always be a requirement for subjective assessment of incidents.

Number of contacts in a race = penalty isn't a great method.  Eg, I can pull off a stupid move and ram someone off the track and get one contact, vs get turned around at the first corner of a race and have a dozen cars smash into me and get DQ'd.

The only way is for each incident to be identified, assessed and then adjudicated on.  I think over the course of a number of seasons we could have 5 demerit points.  Each "accident" (may or may not involve multiple contacts) is worth 1 point to the instigator, however blatant carelessness or incidents during the first few corners may result in 2 penalty points.  When more than 5 demerit points are allocated, the offending driver could be forced to start at the back of the grid for the entirety of the next complete round they race in - or undertake an additional pitstop.  I am thinking that the demerit points could remain for 3 seasons.  Obviously racing incidents wouldn't incur demerit points.

If we could get a time stamp on the contacts this would allow us to review each incident during replays.  I would be happy to review them along with one or two others to get a broad view...

Whatcha think?  I think the only way to prevent further indicents is to get a bit more heavy handed if there are repeated offenders.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2016, 01:25:27 PM »
I like Guybrush's idea and in a league we dont need a general contacts system as in iracing or minorating.

In races we only run a certain amount of laps and there is a week between races so easily enpuoh time for somebody to take a look at any flagged contacts. We dont need an automoated system and I could easily help by making a basic video of any flagged contacts for discussion and to get ruled on.

Number of contacts arent really that high except race 2 results show the aborted start contacts and so our destruction derby start has shown up.  ;D

The collisions and pinball effect seems like common netcode issues and to some extent this is visible in all mp sims. I will put some videos up in the official forums as they can always be improved. Its actually much worse when there is a collision with higher pings compared to us with all relatively low pings.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2016, 01:35:53 PM »
The beauty of PLP's approach is that it is largely voluntary and is more focussed on awareness rather than penalties. I was not suggesting a DQ. Instead a simple pit penalty or even initially just reporting on it. Wally's stats already show number of contacts so perhaps just showing a 'podium' for top contacts would raise awareness.

Most of the incidents this season have just been one car making a risky move on lap 1 which then has a flow on effect. If the cars involved in the initial incident stayed off the track or got off the track so the following cars were not impacted then the impact would be minimised. Every time I arrive at an incident I am confronted by cars desperately trying to recover. You just cannot predict which way to go to avoid contact.

I am qualifying around 13th to 17th which puts me close behind the back end of the top 10 drivers where most of the issues are occurring.

On top of that after the incident if I miraculously make it through I am then chased by a pack of faster, but pissed off drivers. Not a pretty sight :)

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2016, 01:41:02 PM »
On top of that after the incident if I miraculously make it through I am then chased by a pack of faster, but pissed off drivers. Not a pretty sight :)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2016, 01:59:41 PM »
If someone is out of position and racing back through others on the same lap. Its still their responsibility to do this clean. The car ahead can defend in a fair way but both cars need to give racing room if there is overlap. Gyys shouldnt really need to panic or worry ahead and if the quicker guy behind them spins them its that guys fault unless they have simply turned in and not left racing room when they should.

Thats why I think full reverse grids will be fun and a good learning experiance for all in a future season. I actually enjoyed having to try and get through soke cars after my early stop even though many seemed a little too kind and didnt put up much of a fight.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2016, 02:26:57 PM »
... even though many seemed a little too kind and didnt put up much of a fight.
Not me Marty ;) I'm more like Guybrush's pet dog above except viewed from behind :D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:48:51 PM by Gratulin »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2016, 03:55:50 PM »
I've been reading, and will add my two cents worth tonight at a proper keyboard.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2016, 04:47:14 PM »
I think we need single file rolling starts. I race in another league where we all form up on the grid and the leader controls the pace over the first lap, usually 100 - 150km. As they come onto the straight the green is given by the admin, it's normally somewhere around where the grid boxes start, although it's decided on a track by track basis. There is also no passing before the start finish line or accelerating before the leader does, so once the green is given they can control the field all the way up to the line before accelerating or they can go straight away. Cars caught accelerating before the leader are penalised, although it almost never happens these days. 

When we implemented this system I wasn't happy about it. I thought we would miss the excitement of a standing start and the potential to make up a spot or two due to slow starters goes out the window and the purity of racing etc. However we have been doing it for a couple of years now and it works well. Everyone gets to start, everyone gets a little bit of room to see what they have under them and the likelihood of cars piling headlong into a minor bingle turning it into a major pile up are hugely reduced.

Like Marty has said above the real joy of racing these games comes from the long run. Whether you spend a few laps working on the guy in front trying to find a spot to make a move or you make a strategy call and hope it nets you a position or two later in the race. With the single file rolling start everyone gets a chance to see what the race will bring to them and get to avoid all the nastiness detailed above.

It would be easily implemented here and I think you should seriously consider it Wally.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 05:37:53 PM by christopheraser »

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2016, 05:05:43 PM »
The other option would be to do a "practice start" where the normal race start is conducted but then the session restarted after the first few corners.  The reason I think this might help is because it seems most start incidents are caused by unexpected events occuring in front of a driver - eg. the snail train at Monza, T1, or that the driver just hasn't done any practice races and isn't used to making allowances for other drivers braking, etc. at that circuit/car combo.

Rolz

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2016, 05:38:33 PM »
the leader controls the pace over the first lap, usually 100 - 150km.

woah! how long were ur races?? :P

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2016, 05:40:41 PM »
I vote for single file rolling, at this point.   :)
It does not need to be a full lap, just to an area where it's safe to start racing - a long straight, preferably.  In fact a full lap would probably wreak havoc with tyre temps occasionally (eg in the current season).

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2016, 05:45:42 PM »
R1 - Good start, dodged the drama on T3 and then Bacchulum and I had a brilliant battle... was so close racing and really fun! Thanks Bacchulum, a race like that makes simracing just awesome :) I had the GoPro on so I'm hoping to merge and compress video to share when done.
What Rolz said, an awesome, fun race. ;D 8)

Am i the only one who was really happy about the accident?   ;D
Nope, you see that black Audi slipping through unscathed?
It's driver had a huge smile on his dial. ;D ;D

2+2=√16

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2016, 05:46:40 PM »
Jeremy just thinks Grats his team mate, its his usual team greeting dont be offended.

Qual: Like marty got a cut track on my final hit out so 3rd i stayed which was a shame as it was a slight cut and the lap was pretty damn good lol ah well.

race1: Didnt get a great start and had stan on my tail which was a great little battle that went for a few laps until we pitted and then paul was behind me but since he now had stan on his tail i was able to gap them slightly and collect a handy 3rd couldnt do much about gb and marty well done guys.

race2: Got a better start and hooked onto gb and marties tails, managed to jump marty when he pitted early with his little pedal issue and gb then dropping out put me into the lead, after my pitstop i had marty 3 secs behind me so the race was on again to defend the lead having to put in qually laps to the finish to hold the gap and finally get me a win lol good to be back and what a difference tyre pressures make to the cars wow.
do you even motorsports?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2016, 05:49:05 PM »
How exactly did you adjust the tyre pressure, if I may ask?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2016, 05:52:07 PM »
How exactly did you adjust the tyre pressure, if I may ask?

Its a setting in the pit menu, maybe you should try it next time. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal