Xtreme Gaming Network

S10R6: Nurburgring GP Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S10R6: Nurburgring GP Post-Race Chat  (Read 29474 times)

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
Re: S10R6: Nurburgring GP Post-Race Chat
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2016, 05:53:23 PM »
Yeah i ran 28 last night as instead off 22 i ran all season lol in prac i gained nearly 2 secs just from that change
do you even motorsports?

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2016, 05:54:31 PM »
How exactly did you adjust the tyre pressure, if I may ask?

In the setup screen?  He isn't talking about doing it during the race.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2016, 06:03:34 PM »
Yeah i ran 28 last night as instead off 22 i ran all season lol in prac i gained nearly 2 secs just from that change

Pressures are fairly important and will be dependant on temps and track in gt3 cars, pretty sure all of them youd be aiming for 33 hot pressures. In the cold temps it will mean you will be a bit over pressure early with the tyre warmers but it should balance out after a few laps.

For your qualy run pressures are also quite important and it will depend on how hard your outlap is too, aiming to get them close to optimal during the hotlap. This is quite a challenge in cold temps with extra wear as going too slow you lose temp and get more graining. Also tyres may not be at good temps and pressures to start the lap. Go too hard and your tyres will be worse for the end of the hotlap but make a silly cut on your last hotlap like we both did and it doesnt matter so much.  ;D

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2016, 06:09:21 PM »
Yeah done stuff all testing this season so just been winging it lol, left them at 22 because i remember motec ages ago was telling me that was ideal but that was in hotlap mode so i guess its useless lol
do you even motorsports?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2016, 07:42:55 PM »
I had a look at the pitstops in race 1 between me and GB to see if I can see how I lost over 3 seconds in the pitstop itself. The interesting thing I noticed is his car is over the limit all the way in to the box while mine settles at 80 quite a bit sooner. The stops themselves from Pit speed limit line to pit exit.

Guybrush 29.05 seconds
Stationary time 10.4 seconds

Me 31.3 seconds
Stationary time 11.3 seconds

Our speeds at the speed limit line 149kmh for GB and 152kmh for me so we are both speeding at entry yet his car goes much faster down the pitlane mine getting to 80kmh 6 seconds after crossing the pit entry line. His still doing 92kmh at this point and stays above 80kmh until he starts to brake for his pit bay which is the last one.

This really seems odd and why AC needs manula limiter and actual pit lane speed violations, I dont understand why his car can go so much faster down the lane but seems dropping to 1st early keeps speed up and can be worth 2 seconds. I just assumed the car would slow to 80 and not matter when you shift down to 1st gear. I did enter full throttle as there is no speed limit enforced and cant be atm due to the app not getting pitlane info correctly.

Seeing our actual lap pace was quite close and I put in a good inlap and on fresh tyres his outlap was probably worth 1 second I didnt expect to go from .7 up to 3.8 down in that one lap between his stop and mine.

Its nothing against Guy its just odd that some cars can go so much faster down the pitlane and get such a large advantage. The actual stopped time is also odd as I used the app so maybe tyre change times are also different in some cars over others or there is some randomness thrown in there.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2016, 08:11:10 PM »
HAX!!!! :o

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2016, 08:34:44 PM »
I started a new "incident" thread here: http://xgn.com.au/index.php?topic=1362.0
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2016, 09:09:48 PM »
How exactly did you adjust the tyre pressure, if I may ask?

In the setup screen?  He isn't talking about doing it during the race.
Smartass! :)

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2016, 09:10:16 PM »
A couple of things with that Marty which would have also helped me - I got a better exit coming out of the corner into the pit lane and so hit the speed limiter at a higher speed which would account for a few km/h difference down pit lane (maybe effected the way the speed limiter is applied?).  The other one is that you seem to gentley brake into your pit bay, while I throw on the anchors at the last minute which means I'm braking later and slowing down faster.  But this doesn't account for the 3 seconds gained.  Even if it were just the time spent going 10 km/h faster for a few extra seconds that would hardly result in a heap of time.

I think most of the time was gained in the difference between your in lap and my outlap.  My in lap was when I caught up to you after having the off so was a bit quicker anyway, then my laps after I pitted were low 2.04's vs your in lap of 2.06.9.  It's difficult to say exactly what my out lap was, as the time starts when you cross the line in the pits, but given it handled sharper on warmer tyres I'd expect it to be in the 2.04 range.

But nice to know the speed difference was on the other foot in the pits! lol.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2016, 10:35:52 PM »
Does ABS and/or TC effect how the car slows down??? :-\

2+2=√16

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2016, 11:25:13 PM »
A couple of things with that Marty which would have also helped me - I got a better exit coming out of the corner into the pit lane and so hit the speed limiter at a higher speed which would account for a few km/h difference down pit lane (maybe effected the way the speed limiter is applied?). 

Except at the point we reached the pit soeed line which is when I started timing the stops I was going faster 153kmh to 150kmh. Then my car takes 6 seconds from there to drop to 80kmh and yours was still going over 90kmh which is the weirdest bit. Also your pit bay is after mine and you got to it first even though the video is synced at the point we cross the line.

If you see it in fullscreen you should be able to see the speed of both cars at all points. I suspect dropping to first gear keeps a higher speed then keeping it in the gear entered as I did.

I did brake a little more slowly as I didnt want to overshoot but thats maybe .2 to .4 the biggest gain is the extra speed your car had travelling down the lane.

I will need to test this later but I thought shifting down may slow the car more after crossing the pit speed line. It would be good if we got actual pitlane times and stopped times in the stats. These used to show up in stracker but since the update that broke plp pitlane detection all pit info has been kind of broken.

Time difference on inlap and outlap is  2:05.892 2:26.583 (272.475) for you and 2:06.979 2:29.037 (276.061) for me. So net gain for you over those 2 laps was 3.541 seconds.

This with a pitlane time difference of 2.25 seconds 1.291 seconds gained by you outside of the pitlane on fresh hot tyres vs grained cooler tyres which is about what I expected.

The only reason I took a look is I didnt think your laptime would be 3.5 seconds faster even on the newer rubber on the outlap. If you compare your laps before pit in and pit out 2:05.547 lap 5 and 2:04.271 lap 8 the gain on the fresh tyres and lower fuel was around 1.3 seconds and that pretty much works out all the extra time is inside the pit speed zone. Better braking by you was worth a bit but your car was pver the pitlane speed limit for 7 seconds longer then mine was.

Though both were speeding in a way the game allows it does show how big a weakness the Kunos pit implementation with auto limiter and no speeding penalty is.

Definatly pushing more on the brake approach is a place you can gain time as is entering the pits and getting on the limiter as is timing the exit. It really shouldnt let people drive over the speed limit inside the pits.

But there also needs to be a clearly defined pit limit line for both entry and exit along with a drive through for speeding which isnt on most official tracks if any. Then if someone can gain 1 second or more in the pits its more a skill rather then how the game decides to slow all cars in some random way.

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2016, 05:53:30 AM »
Yeah, it is strange that one car can go faster. The only thing I can think of is that combination of gear and speed when hitting the limiter has an effect.

Although if you look at the video there is ~2 seconds made up from when we stop to when we exit pit lane.  I looked at the top times when we both got to the crooked bit of the white line after exiting pit lane.  So that would mean maybe half a second at most gained via the extra few kms down pit lane, some of which may be attributed to the later braking into the box?

Actually, looking at it again my timer starts about a second before yours when we stop. So I think about 1 second gained down pit lane.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:17:15 AM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2016, 07:48:43 AM »
I sorely miss proper speeding in pit lane penalties.

The difference must come down to differences in gearing, abs, brakes etc when the auto pit limiter comes on.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2016, 09:31:55 AM »

Actually, looking at it again my timer starts about a second before yours when we stop. So I think about 1 second gained down pit lane.

But your stopping at the last pit box and I stop one box earlier so there is a bit more gain. I will try later and see if entereing pits and dropping to 1st maintains more speed. Or possibly it could just be some cars are effected differently by the speed limiter which is even worse.

It probably wont be possible at Spa as pit entry is much slower and I would assume all cars will be close to 80kmh as they enter the pit. Nurburgring we both make the last turn then accelerate to the speed limit line and hit it at much higher speeds then will be possibke at spa.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal